chain sharpener?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok it seems most of the guys here either have all the toys or are on the ups truck im looking to buy a CHAIN GRINDER my buddy has an oregon he says its about 500 bucks ive seen most of the oregons at around 350 or so ARE THE CHEAP ONES ALMOST AS GOOD? he says bring him the chains but then who gets new toys the wife??

i can get an oregon 511A for $350 at a good retailer.. i have a friend that paid $630 for that very same 511A from a local stihl dealer/rental shop.. that would happen to be the shop that pissed me off enough to start my own business.. i had several saws for service there years ago and they could never figure out what any of the issues were.. prices are just the same deal.. varies a LOT dealer to dealer..

thanks Ben

thanks Ben thats about the price ive seen too I wonder if anyone has tried any of the import machines with smaller price tags??

donho said:
Ok it seems most of the guys here either have all the toys or are on the ups truck im looking to buy a CHAIN GRINDER my buddy has an oregon he says its about 500 bucks ive seen most of the oregons at around 350 or so ARE THE CHEAP ONES ALMOST AS GOOD? he says bring him the chains but then who gets new toys the wife??
Bailey's has a Tecomec which is supposed to be the same as an Oregon 511. Check it out.

I put my vote for the oregon/tecomec/whatever

I had a plastic cheapie, but the 511 is WAY more accurate :clap: .

I don't know if anyone had any sucess but I have sent out a few diagrams on how to reverse the motor on these things. Works great! But you have to make sure your wheel is screwed on tight (don't ask how I know).
If anyone else is interested email/PM me, I can find the info and send it.

-Pat

Thanks Pat

My friend that sharpens my blades now put a reversing switch on his oregon says keeps the sparks out of his face .

I'm not 100% familiar with the Oregon sharpener, but if you put a reversing switch on it, in addition to making sure the wheel is on tight, you might want to make sure you have another nut to act as a 'lock nut" on the shaft.

I toyed with reversing my grinder (Stihl USG I bought on ebay), but after I went to a diamond wheel and got it set up right, I didn't see much difference between the left and right hand cutters. Reversing would also mean I'd have to deal with spark shields etc.

I did rob a couple of ceramic magnets from a microwave magnetron - about a powerful as you can get, and free from any appliance repair depot! Just put one in a plastic bag where the sparks fly and it will trap most of the debris (with diamond you don't have to worry about the wheel dust, just the steel). To clean it, just peal off the plastic bag.

Latest posts

Back