chain sharpening a chain ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
col56; Does Stihl only make one of these sharpeners ? Col[/QUOTE said:
Stihl also makes one that mounts to your workbench. I've never seen one, but they look to be a really nice unit. They use a clamping and locating assembly thats very similar to a chain grinder.
I think they cost around $150.00, too much for me.

Ed

Yes I cannot afford one of those either. I have been using a file only for over 30 years now and it is OK. I wanted to try one of the ones you clamp on the bar but not at that price.

What makes it so special that it costs so much ?

Col

col56, Pittsburghs' pretty country, not too far from me.
Used to work for a Pittburgh outfit, Guardian Protection Services.
Was up there a 1/2 dozen times back in the 90's.

I dont know if this helps but those $100.00 grinders from northern
are alot of bang for the buck. What I did to justify it, was to start telling
all my friends and coworkers about it, showed them how good a edge
I can produce ( with practice I have gotten very good with it ), now
I have a dozen or so people who I sharpen for, $10./chain cutters and rakers
or $5./chain just cutters. Its payed for the grinder and then some.
Just a thought.

Chainsaw Sharpener

I read several discussions about the Granberg File-n-Joint. One guy recommended using the search engine on this website and look at some of the old threads. I did and found lots of useful info. I can do a pretty good job free hand filing but my angles start to get off. It was hard for me to hold the 30 degree. I did buy the Granberg from Bailey's and I've been very pleased with it. I hope this helps you.

====

Grandpatactor,
Can you post up a picture of that guide in use. I haveing a tough time visualizing how that is used .:confused:

Thanks, another grandpa

Here ya go!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

and ready to go back into the tool pouch
attachment.php

It takes me about 5 minutes to do a 28" chain. 2-3 strokes per tooth

Col. are you down around Masontown, or German Twp. area ?

Grandpatractor
What angles are on the husky roller guide file?
I run some stihl 3/8 .063 which according to stihl should be filed at 30 degrees and also some oregon type 73 3/8 .058(on different saws) that oregon says file at 25 degrees,i have various hand filing guides and a clamp on adjustable oregon one that i find tedious,just looking for the fastest,easiest way really.

:givebeer:

:cheers:

Regards
Neil

I wish I would have had a guide like that when learning how to file, or had someone teach me, or had this forum. Always too proud to ask for help.

Grandpatractor
What angles are on the husky roller guide file?
I run some stihl 3/8 .063 which according to stihl should be filed at 30 degrees and also some oregon type 73 3/8 .058(on different saws) that oregon says file at 25 degrees,i have various hand filing guides and a clamp on adjustable oregon one that i find tedious,just looking for the fastest,easiest way really.

:givebeer:

:cheers:

Regards
Neil
It should be 25 degrees on the top plate and 10 degrees on the file guide I believe

Col. are you down around Masontown, or German Twp. area ?

Dale,

No I am not close to them. Sorry I don't get on the computer a lot that's why I didn't answer you.

Col

had the filing guide it not good . the angle is not that important .you can hook or sloop a chain with the right angle , the file height is where you get a good edge . I will catch a lot slack for saying this . just my experiance

Latest posts

Back