Chain Sharpening/Stihl Dealership clash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kachtz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought my MS310 saw 2 months ago, i used it until the chain got dull, and then went to the stihl dealership to get it sharpened, and just figured i would get some files and a bar mounted guide to do it myself, so i have two 3/8 chains on a 18" bar right now, and the stihl chain sharpening guide says i need a 13/64 file

but the guy at the stihl dealership says that stihl does not make 13/64 and they can not order one and kept insisting that i buy a 7/32 because he had been in the woods for 30 years, and he knows more about saws than anyone etc...

is the guy right about the file size?
and next question is what angles do i file the teeth at
i have been told

35 degree cutter angle
10 degree down angle

The dealer is correct in stating that file will work just fine. Your angles are ok too. Anywhere from 30 to 35 degrees as long as you are consistent. I tend to file at 30 degrees, not a big deal to file at 35. If your just learning use the marks on the top of the stihl tooth to go by.

7/32 will work fine. Theoretically the larger diameter file will result in a little less hook, so won't cut as agressively but will last a bit longer. Howeever, we are only talking about a 1/128 of an inch difference in radius so i doubt you will notice the difference (untill there is not a lot of cutter left).
As far as i am aware dealer not correct to say stihl do not make a 13/64 file, they are just not readily available but could be ordered. The part number for a pack of 3 files is 5605 773 5203 if i am not mistaken.
Do you have full chisel or semi chisel chains, i file the top plate at 30 degrees with a 10 degree tilt for full chisel and no tilt for semi chisel.

I recently bought my MS310 saw 2 months ago, i used it until the chain got dull, and then went to the stihl dealership to get it sharpened, and just figured i would get some files and a bar mounted guide to do it myself, so i have two 3/8 chains on a 18" bar right now, and the stihl chain sharpening guide says i need a 13/64 file

but the guy at the stihl dealership says that stihl does not make 13/64 and they can not order one and kept insisting that i buy a 7/32 because he had been in the woods for 30 years, and he knows more about saws than anyone etc...

is the guy right about the file size?
and next question is what angles do i file the teeth at
i have been told

35 degree cutter angle
10 degree down angle

7/32 will work fine and is what most people use on 3/8 chain, but your dealer is full of #### , stihl does make 13/64 files and that is what the recommend for their 3/8 chain.

I just bought a 13/64" file guide, #5605 750 4329 and a 3-pack of 13/64" files, #5605 773 5203 from my Stihl dealer, off the rack, no special order. That dealer doesn't want your business!

ya i wish i knew more about saws....the dealer was trying to sell me Oregon stuff because that is all he had in stock.

7/32 will work fine. Theoretically the larger diameter file will result in a little less hook, so won't cut as agressively but will last a bit longer. Howeever, we are only talking about a 1/128 of an inch difference in radius so i doubt you will notice the difference (untill there is not a lot of cutter left).
As far as i am aware dealer not correct to say stihl do not make a 13/64 file, they are just not readily available but could be ordered. The part number for a pack of 3 files is 5605 773 5203 if i am not mistaken.
Do you have full chisel or semi chisel chains, i file the top plate at 30 degrees with a 10 degree tilt for full chisel and no tilt for semi chisel.

Actually, the difference in 13/64 and 7/32 is 1/64 of an inch.

find a new dealer. he wants to sell you what he has in stock. i have a box of 13/64's in my shop. it probably doesn't matter, but if there is a choice, i would use what stihl recommends.
good luck with the MM! it will change the attitude of your saw.

ya i wish i knew more about saws....the dealer was trying to sell me Oregon stuff because that is all he had in stock.

What part of them sticks of Virginia you in? Gotta watch them Va dealers, they aren't created equal I'm told...

My dealer has 13/64" files, 3 for $3.99. I have a GREAT stihl dealer, he puts up with a lot of "pickyness" from me and helps me out a ton!!!

I do farm work and spread his name all over, although most of the old timers already know he is a good dude!!!

He also has the 13/64" guide, but i'm sure 1/128" ain't going to matter!!!

nothing wrong using the 7/32 file, I have probably 10 saws that I use on different occasions and use three different files, 5/32 for the small 3/8 picco chains, 3/16 for low profile 3/8 and .325 pitch and 7/32 for large 3/8 chains and that's hard enough to keep up with........

The dealer is either uninformed or is dishonest.

If the former, he shouldn't be a Stihl dealer.

If the latter, he shouldn't get your business.

A dishonest dealer who just wants your money will lie to you just to make a sale. There's no reason to lie. All he had to do was explain that either size is acceptable for 3/8" pitch chain and why. That kind of salesman really rubs me the wrong way.

:angry2:

is the guy right about the file size? ....

Stihl doesn't make any files - but they surely sell Stihl branded 13/64 ones, I have a good supply of them!

It also is the best size for their 3/8" chain, if you use one size all the way. 7/32 also work well, at least for free-hand filing on a reasonably fresh chain (not filed back too much yet), but I question how well it works with the guide that is made for 13/64 ones - it may put less than optimal "hook" on the chain.

I have encountered about the same problem here, Stihl is not doing a good enough job at training their dealers......:biggrinbounce2:

35 degree cutter angle
10 degree down angle

30 and level is what they recommend for RSC, and it works well for me. It is wrong to use a down angle if you file from the "inside" (most of us do, but that is another discussion), but a slight up one won't do any harm, ime.

The top-plate angle is a speed vs. "stay-sharp" issue, and can always be discussed. I mostly use 30 on both Stihl and Oregon chisel chain, even though Oregon recommends 25. It isn't critical anyway, within reason. Generally, more angle is for soft wood, less for hard wood.

Stihl doesn't make any files - but they surely sell Stihl branded 13/64 ones, I have a good supply of them!

It also is the best size for their 3/8" chain, if you use one size all the way. 7/32 also work well, at least for free-hand filing on a reasonably fresh chain (not filed back too much yet), but I question how well it works with the guide that is made for 13/64 ones - it may put less than optimal "hook" on the chain.

I have encountered about the same problem here, Stihl is not doing a good enough job at training their dealers......:biggrinbounce2:

:agree2: If you want to use a stihl file holder/sharpening apparatus with a 7/32" file, it is advisable to buy the one stihl markets for ".404" chain.

Back