Chain spinning at idle temporarily

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 562XP that has been flawless up until this point. The issue:

Once the saw is warmed up and I take the chain brake off, the chain will slowly rotate. If I blip the throttle, it stops

The chain brake itself functions properly.

What could be causing this? The saw is only 2 months old

The master control switch has four functions. Choke high idle, high idle, idle, and off. When you move from choke to the center/ON position the high idle cam is still engaged, this will cause the chain to spin if the brake is not applied. Once you blip the throttle the high idle cam is disengaged which will drop the RPM down to its normal idling speed. Based on what you’ve described I’d say the saw is functioning properly. Make sure the chain is tensioned properly, wouldn’t hurt to grease the clutch drum bearing as well.

Did you let the saw idle for a minute or so ,after each cutting session ?
Seems to be a common thing with those simple microcontroller -based carburetor tuning circuitries .
The saw has to be left to idle for a certain amount of time (depending on the programmed code ,usually 30sec to 1 min ) ,
especially after a long period of
WOT operation under load .
Orherwise,the "WOT under load"
settings will still be recorded at the built-in memory ,since the system did not "reset" ,meaning that the sensors did not spot any change ,until the "Off" switch was hit.
By letting idle before hitting the Off switch ,the sensors (input) send signals of idle operation to the MCU and then the carb is adjusted accordingly ( output ).
This state now is recorded at the memory of the system and when the system runs again it starts with "idle state " carb adjustments and not with the
"WOT under load " ones .

It's a hardware thing and not a software bug.
Those tiny MCU units used are of 8bit tech and have a very limited amount of data processing power and memory.

Edit : Reading again the first post that describes the issue.
Well, you should check the fuel filter and the fuel lines ,for starters.

The master control switch has four functions. Choke high idle, high idle, idle, and off. When you move from choke to the center/ON position the high idle cam is still engaged, this will cause the chain to spin if the brake is not applied. Once you blip the throttle the high idle cam is disengaged which will drop the RPM down to its normal idling speed. Based on what you’ve described I’d say the saw is functioning properly. Make sure the chain is tensioned properly, wouldn’t hurt to grease the clutch drum bearing as well.
Thanks !

Did you let the saw idle for a minute or so ,after each cutting session ?
Seems to be a common thing with those simple microcontroller -based carburetor tuning circuitries .
The saw has to be left to idle for a certain amount of time (depending on the programmed code ,usually 30sec to 1 min ) ,
especially after a long period of
WOT operation under load .
Orherwise,the "WOT under load"
settings will still be recorded at the built-in memory ,since the system did not "reset" ,meaning that the sensors did not spot any change ,until the "Off" switch was hit.
By letting idle before hitting the Off switch ,the sensors (input) send signals of idle operation to the MCU and then the carb is adjusted accordingly ( output ).
This state now is recorded at the memory of the system and when the system runs again it starts with "idle state " carb adjustments and not with the
"WOT under load " ones .

It's a hardware thing and not a software bug.
Those tiny MCU units used are of 8bit tech and have a very limited amount of data processing power and memory.

Edit : Reading again the first post that describes the issue.
Well, you should check the fuel filter and the fuel lines ,for starters.
Hi, yes I did. Thanks. I will check that

Once the saw is warmed up and I take the chain brake off, the chain will slowly rotate. If I blip the throttle, it stops

The NORMAL cold start or hot start PROCEDURE on most saws sets starting w/ FAST IDLE CAM engaged, so immediate blip of throttle after starting required to idle down.... which you want to do to reduce heat/wear on clutch. Hope this helps... it follows MOST OM instructions...

OK, first said, truly trying to help and understand the issue, and I am not that familiar with Husky autotune.
So to my understanding you have been engaging the chainbrake, going through the startup procedure as stated in the manual, and then letting it idle until it is warmed up... which I guess is subjective, and then disengaging the chain brake, and it has been fine for the last 2 months, but now when you follow the same start up procedure the chain runs until you blip the throttle?

Lawyers write owners manuals, just sayin...
Yeah, but FAST IDLE CAM AND PROPER PROCEDURE are a reality, and improper procedure causes many start problems or other problems to new, inexperienced owners. The 45-yo who files his cutters to end-of-life WITHOUT ever getting good results, because he NEVER filed depth gages responded "No, never had a book, NEVER KNEW ABOUT DEPTH GAGES, just filed the chain the way my dad taught me..." is too, too often the reality.

When little girl asked Mom "WHY do you cut the end off the roast before putting in the pan?"... Mom responds,,, "Because my Mom always did". Then "Grandma why....?" and the response was "Well, to fit the roast into the pan, silly"...= sometimes, somethings LOST in translation...

SO HIS DEPTH GAUGES ARE THE PROBLEM?!?!?!?
sorry, you lost me at the all caps rant, say something constructive to the OP.
So your chainsaws do not have a fast idle cam on carb? MY impression is that it is running on the fast idle cam, which is normal, and normal procedure from the book put it on the Fast position, but he was unaware of this feature?

Were you also unaware, or yours do not have it? If so, which brand/model do you have?

LOTTA Saws I do not own/ do not use, and many variables, but pretty well guess the 562xp has the cam? But I also do not own 562xp

Back