chain storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of ways to do things.

I always take 3 chains per saw, so if I hit something, I can swap out the chain, go back to work, and fix the chain later. Filing in the field is good to bring back an edge, but can be a lot of work for a rocked chain, and doesn't do anything for one that breaks.

Companies like Oregon and STIHL also caution about putting a new chain on a worn sprocket, and vice versa, due to accelerated wear. They recommend rotating between 2 - 3 chains then replacing the sprocket when you buy new chains.

Philbert
when i was selling olys rather fast,,years ago,,thats the same thing i told the people..id told them,to put green paint on one chain, and yellow paint on the other chain, no paint on the other chain links,,and rotate them any way you want,,just keep it the same..spares in woods,,and three times the sprocket life!!!!!!!!!!!

Orefon Sells Lots of Sprockets

when i was selling olys rather fast,,years ago,,thats the same thing i told the people..id told them,to put green paint on one chain, and yellow paint on the other chain, no paint on the other chain links,,and rotate them any way you want,,just keep it the same..spares in woods,,and three times the sprocket life!!!!!!!!!!!

This sprocket rotation business amazes me. Oregon must enjoy selling sprockets. I have a 1977 Mac 610 that is using the original. My Echo 3900 has five times the hours on it than the big Mac does, and it's still using the original spriocket. Gone through a half dozen chains with it. Wear is minimal.

I think the Mac 3514 is the only saw I own that ever needed a new sprocket--back in '06. My secret is to check chain tension before I start up and avoid running a loose chain.

Replaced a few lost photos in this thread. Please add any back if they were yours. Thanks.

Philbert
Hey, I just looked at the date on this thread. Last year (early 2013) I finally replaced the original sprocket on my Echo 3900 that I used today to cut a truckload of mulberry. The saw still runs beautifully. I carried three backup chains to the work site but only used the sharp one on the saw. I cut only the small stuff and loaded the Ranger. Now all I have to do is figure out how to carry another four truckloads of the big stuff away for my splitter to work on.

Check out those cheap tupperware sandwich tubs. They are just the right size for a chain, stack nicely in a box or on a shelf, and seal in the freshness until you're ready to use it.....:tongue2:

Same here, I use a plastic klipit box 1.2 liter and put a wee bit of bar oil in it with the chain, enough to cover it, keeps the chains nice, and they have a good seal on them so no leakage

Best chain storage/carrier I've found yet is the shallow transparent plastic container Sarah Lee uses for cold cuts.

Latest posts

Back