Chain Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've seen those around here... Here in the States we're pretty much limited to what Wal-Mart thinks we need. Thankfully there is Amazon now too.

Just so you know they may look waterproof but they are not there rain proof but don't submerge in water

Just so you know they may look waterproof but they are not there rain proof but don't submerge in water
LOL that's fine by me... 100 times better than my ratty old cardboard boxes the chains come in!! They are fairly durable, are they not?

Thanks guys, I knew there had to be something better than the "throwaway" Glad plastic containers.

LOL that's fine by me... 100 times better than my ratty old cardboard boxes the chains come in!! They are fairly durable, are they not?

Thanks guys, I knew there had to be something better than the "throwaway" Glad plastic containers.
Yeah there pretty tough

Here is what I do in the shop (not shown are several more rows to the left hanging with spare bars):
IMG_3948.JPG
Here is what I take to the field (old ammo box - three sizes of chains, spare parts and tools in plastic containers; files, telescopic rod magnet, more tools and midget wedges loose in the box.):
IMG_3914.JPGIMG_3915.JPG
Similar plastic containers can be found in most any grocery store around here.

Ron

Tried a lot of things. ZipLock freezer bags seem to be the easiest to use in tool boxes or chainsaw cases.

I found that a lot of dog treats, nuts, snack foods, etc., now come in a heavier mylar/plastic bag with a resealable closure that might hold up better, if you don’t mind your chains smelling like jerky.

A little harder to mark, but really hard to tear.
86BF4814-88A5-4B95-8B05-96DE1B7F1192.jpeg

Philbert

Tried a lot of things. ZipLock freezer bags seem to be the easiest to use in tool boxes or chainsaw cases.

I found that a lot of dog treats, nuts, snack foods, etc., now come in a heavier mylar/plastic bag with a resealable closure that might hold up better, if you don’t mind your chains smelling like jerky.

A little harder to mark, but really hard to tear.
View attachment 874877

Philbert
Milk bones and bar oil... yum! Perfect for Dogwoods!!!

I have had the handles break off on that style. I usually look for Rubbermaid ones at garage sales, Goodwill, etc., with the basic 'burp' seal.

Obsessive Warning: I found that there are certain sizes/styles of the Rubbermaid / Tupperware containers (no longer made) that fit the grinding wheels for my chain grinders better (yes, I have a few . . . ). I made cardboard cutouts the size of each wheel (5-3/4", or 4-1/4") and keep them in the map pocket of my car so that I can 'fit test' them at garage sales!

Philbert

The containers should be flatter, like the ancient VCR holders that I posted in #29 above. Then you have a book box that stacks better and is easier to pack in a case. That container is also easy to open and close tight. It's hard to beat a VCR holder, but guys, they are gone even though millions were made to hold those tapes.
1608336251298.jpeg
Figure about a buck apiece today if you can find them.

Found them at Wally World! But, they only had "Wild Thang Green"...:rock2:
I have been using these for 10 years never had anything break other than the whole container when's my firewood was thrown in the back of the tray and I forgot ID left the container in there and a lump of wood belted it real hard .

This seems to be my method at the present time. Kind of roll up the chain and squeeze out the air. Quart ziploc freezer bags have a nice white area that can be written on and eliminates the problem of the scrap of cardboard or paper getting in with the writing flipped toward the chain. Quite convenient to take the chains into the field. If they are not used they are still as clean as before.

Then various containers plastic coffee containers of the 280 cup size or blow molded 1.7 gallon planting containers, or similar container, for different pitch and possibly gauge as well for one pitch. These generally can nest unless they are basically full, can even stick in an appropriate file and guide if desired.
I do Ziploc as well but use painters tape and marker. Note chain specs 33 / 72 and 33 / 84 Chisel or semi and note of amount of wear. Chains near end I use up on crappie stumps etc.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Back