Chain stretch newby needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prochallenger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a stihl 361 with a 20 inch bar and the safety anti kick back chain,saw model is ms361,also purchased 2 new chains with the saw,I cut about 20 trees with the first chain,all oak and also cut into pieces,chain got dull,I thought this was a lot of wood for One chain,loved it,put on the second new chain,cut for about 2 hours,had to adjust chain frequently,chain did not get dull,just stretched beyond the adjuster,put on 3rd chain,turned around the bar per stihl instructions,ran break in,cut for 1/2 hour and chain was stretched beyond adjuster again,2 new chains and they both stretch beyond use,I have emailed stihl but have not heard back from them,anyone have any ideas or heard anything on this or am I doing something wrong,can these chains be shortened to use?,john:( :(

Is your bar oiling? Point the nose at a piece of cardboard or clean cut wood (around 1 or 2 inches away), then open it up wide and look for a spray mark.

When you put on a new, fresh chain, where was the adjuster positioned in the slot....near the rear of the saw, middle, near the front? How much adjustment did these chains have in them, 1/16", 1/8", etc?

chain stretch

I counted the teeth and they all have 72,these are all stihl chains and correct,they all fit great when I put them on,they all loosened up quite quickly though,had to adjujst after every cut,kept adjusting until there was no more adjustment,I have had other saws and never had this problem,a chain that is sharp and too stretched to use

I counted the teeth and they all have 72,these are all stihl chains and correct,they all fit great when I put them on,they all loosened up quite quickly though,had to adjujst after every cut,kept adjusting until there was no more adjustment,I have had other saws and never had this problem,a chain that is sharp and too stretched to use

I believe you, that is not normal at all - did the oiler quit, or the holes get plugged, after the first chain????

Did you clean the holes, and the slot between the rails, between the chains????

Last edited:
chain stretch

I did not clean the bar or the chain,are these the holes you are talking about,I had to refill the oiler several times so I assume that is working,do you think some holes are pluged,where?

chain stretch

Well I checked the bar and the oil holes and rails were plugged solid,now how can I getthese chains to fit,can I get a link out ,not sure they will fit with a link out,may be too big,any ideas,or do I scrap them and start over.thanks for all the help,john

Take it back to your dealer for a check out or some instruction. Chains don't "stretch" - they grow in length because the link bearing wears.

I've sold 100's of 361's, thousand of other saws/ chains, and a 20 inch 72 dl Stihl chain on a Stihl bar will not grow to exceed the adjuster unless totaled

Bar holes get plugged because you don't clean them when you flip the bar (the lower hole always blocks as it's exposed).

Last edited:
I disagree

I have to disagree,I have put the three chains side by side,all the same exact chains and the 2 new ones are almost 3/4 of and inch longer now,the same boxed model number,when they were on the saw they stretched every cut,I had to adjust them all the timw,if you do not think they stretched then what happened

Not "stretch", but wear... .Something you are doing is trashing the link bearings. 3/4 inch longer loop means your chain is 1.5 inches longer (roughly)... extreme for a 72dl chain.

You will see some quick lengthening after a few minutes of use from new , then it should be pretty stable with only minor adjustment required. Lack of oil or sandy conditions can exacerbate the wear, but...

Are all your chains "stihl" or did you get some other brand for chains 2 and 3?

Last edited:
Have to agree with Lakeside here...I've never seen a Stihl chain (they're hard as hell) stretch to any appreciable degree compared with Oregon, Carton, Woodsman Pro etc. Can't tell you what happened but if all the info is accurate (which I'm assuming it is) some serious bashing must have gone into these chains (mechanical and thermal). You can pull a link with a breaker/spinner (or have it done) but you need to ask yourself: after hammering these chains to the degree they've been hammered, so you want to use them?

I suppose it's possible that some numbnuts slapped on a chain (although 72DL is very common...) a bit long, ran the adjuster almost to its limit and sold it off. Get it hot, touch of expansion, and it no longer fits.

Good luck...let us know if you solve the mystery...

chain growth wear

the chains were new stihl chains,I opened the packages myself,the chains all fit great when they were first put on,I was cutting oak and noticed the chains needed to be adjusted very often and always,they never stopped growing,would this be due to the fact that the oil holes were plugged?Im taking it back to the deale to have it checked out,with the chains,the last chain still looks new and has stretched beyond adjustment

"normally" if an oil hole is plugged, your chain will seize to the bar. How is your bar looking? burned? worn (grooved)?

Lack of oil for that period of cutting will cause the chain to bind in the bare and seem very tight. I don't think it is lack of oil.
If you are adjusting the chain after every cut, my first thought would be that you are running the chain over tight. This would cause the load bearing surfaces in the links and rivets to wear fast and also the bottom of the chain and bar rails to wear fast. It also puts a huge load on the nose sproket bearings and crank bearings. This would make the chain long for the bar in a hurry.
The chain should be snug enough that it does not sag away from the bar and loose enough to turn freely by hand. I have frequently seen inexperienced people over tighten chains till the bearings in the sprocket nose whistle like a turbo.

I have to disagree,I have put the three chains side by side,all the same exact chains and the 2 new ones are almost 3/4 of and inch longer now,the same boxed model number,when they were on the saw they stretched every cut,I had to adjust them all the timw,if you do not think they stretched then what happened

Lake has it right on imho, the steel does not 'stretch', but a consideration is that you may have over tightened the chain, there-by wearing the pins a bit more, wearing the bar, etc. etc.. Couple of variables in there mon, it is not unusual to have to tighten a turn or two on a new chain but when yer talking a links worth or more then there is an issue happening I think, a bit of wear going on maybe. If the chain is the 'right' size then when you mount the new chain your adjuster should be near the rear position, this gives you room for wear 'n' tear, but by no means should this mean a links worth of adjusting, then there is other things going on, like over-tightening (the usual). Not only is this hard on your chain and bar but is generally not great on the power-head of your saw esp if it is new and you are breaking everything in.

My useless 0.02$ worthyness fer the evening.

:cheers:

Serge

Back