Chain Tightening Studs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me tell you about my long drawn out story.
Many years ago, I picked up a Jonsered 801, (80cc saw built between 1970-80) The bar stud holes had already been stripped and heli-coiled. I used the saw for several years like that without a problem. I them made the fatal error of letting someone use my saw. I know, I should have known better. Well the guy that I let use the saw stripped not one, but both of the heli-coils out. The saw sat for quite a while like that and finely I decided to see what I could do about it. There is a product called, “permatex” or something very much like that, which is designed for repairing threaded holes. It comes with a liquid release agent and the idea is to apply the release agent to the male threaded part, goop up the female threads, screw the male part in, wait a bit and unscrew the stud. Well, the release agent didn’t work and I now have semi-perminely bonded in studs. I did this about two weeks ago and have used the saw several times for general cutting and some for milling. It seems to be holding up and I try to take it real easy on the threads.

If it is in fact your holes that have stripped, and this is the first time, your shop should be able to put in threaded inserts in.

HELP: How to repair stripped thread holes for chain tightening

I should have said, the bar holding studs.
This is an EFCO saw that has been mishandled, but it has a strong engine and is not ready for the heap.
I was thinking threaded insert, but from who and where?
The hole is stripped, so new threads have to be inserted.

Hi Irv, two brands of insert that are popular are Helicoil and Time Serts. They will cut new threads as they are installed. Letting a machine shop do the job for you might be a good idea, shouldn`t cost you too much either. Besides, any time that I have bought these products you have to buy a multi pack which isn`t too cheap so you could end up money ahead by having a shop do it.

Another possible option are cylinder head studs that are larger on one end. From what I understand they are, or were, used on snomobile engines with a similar problem.

The last resort is to have a very good Tig weldor fill in the holes and remachine them. Places that fab irrigation equipment are usually good places to find good aluminum and magnesium Tig weldors.

Russ

A fabrication or machine shop may be your best bet. They may want the unit dissassembled to where the handle/tank unit is removed from the crankcase unit, which is no that tough to do.

You may want to call Tilton (Efco distributor) and see if you can get any suggestion from their service guys. 1-877-693-7729.

Latest posts

Back