Chain wear questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I'm pretty new to saws. Inwas checking out a saw to day and noticed the chain has some wear in the dip. It's a new chain with not much use. What did i do wrong to cause this lol20200426_170804.jpg

Looks like from the picture you could use some cleaning on that chainsaw?
I
Looks like from the picture you could use some cleaning on that chainsaw?
Lol that's because my awesome brother in law . He cut down a dead ash tried to burn the stump but after that was taking to long he tried to cut it up. It was at that point I showed up to take my saw back and have a few nice words with him.I try to keep them clean the best I can. I run cheap saws now till I learn more then get some good stuff

Could this by caused b setting the chain to tight. I'm new and not real sure how tight to go I checked the chain on my other saw and it kinda looks the same and that saw wasn't abused.

Too tight chain is my guess...
I had this type of wear happen to me when I got my first chainsaw years ago (I was <10yo), I was tightening it by putting a dime between a drive link, and the bar rails in the middle of the bar, and then going ape with a Scrench on the tensioner screw...
I was quickly corrected when I asked my neighbor (he gave me the saw, was a state cert. arborist- I later worked for him, for a couple years) and was told to hold the rear/top handle as far back as possible, and let the weight of the saw pull up on the bar tip, then turn the adjuster screw till the chain just barely touches the bottom rails of the bar, & the chain can be pulled all the way out of the groove- easily, with your fingers.
Have been doing it that way ever since, and I have never seen this wear pattern on my saws again.

That sprocket is shot, and those 2 notches in it is what is causing the damage to the bottom of the chain straps. Problem is, when you get a new sprocket, that "streched out" chain will damage the new sprocket.
You likely have had a problem lately with the chain continually coming loose.

So toss the chain. That was going to be my next question . I think I'm running it to tight. Can someone post pic of what a good sprocket with some use on it looks like.it seem my other saw has one grove on it.

Back