Chain won't stay on???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhenriksen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, :newbie: New to this site. I have a Husquvarna 45, that I just use for limbing and small trees, I can't keep the chain on it for the life of me. Today the chain can off while my brother-in-law was running it and it nailed him in the leg pretty good. So now it sits till I get it figured out. I'll put it on and cut for about five minutes and off she comes. Ive tried a new bar and chain, the bar oiler seams to work fine. Any Ideas??

Not sure what style it would be but it's a screw that is right beside the bar

Check to see if there is a snap ring of some sort that keeps the adjuster screw from moving in or out. Many adjuster screws have an indentation where the snap ring fits. Without it the adjuster screw will move and loosen the chain.

I'll look at the adjuster, Would it tell me what pitch the chain should be on the clutch?? My manual says it should be .325, which is what I bought. But I did buy this saw used. I have had it for about 3 years and it just started doing this in the last month or so.

I'll look at the adjuster, Would it tell me what pitch the chain should be on the clutch?? My manual says it should be .325, which is what I bought. But I did buy this saw used. I have had it for about 3 years and it just started doing this in the last month or so.

Does the bar match? Sprocket noses need to match the pitch as well, should be stamped on either end of the bar...

Check the spur/rim while you're digging around.
Wouldn't be the first time a worn out drive caused a chain to come off.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think that the newer, slimmer bars are more prone to jumping a chain than the old wider ones. I never had a chain come off till I bought a new saw in the mid '90s. It seems like a twig is the cause a lot of times.

I put a new sprocket on it, It had the Oregon Powermate thing on it so thats what I put back on it, the outer rim looked fine, but the splines on the clutch cup were trashed. Seems to work good. Everything else seems to be in good shape. Time will tell.. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back