Chainsaw Almost to Face on TV News Following Storm Clean UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been posted:

Man Nearly Saws His Face During My Stand-up - YouTube

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XO7SxAuzSO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Caught on TV news following storm clean up.

Chaps would not have helped this guy.

WTVW (Evansville, Indiana) - Drew Gardner

Philbert

Last edited:
He darn near cut his arm off. It looks like he reaches around the bar to avoid it.Wonder why he hung on so tight to the saw or for that matter what did he get it hung up on that took the saw like that?

The saw was caught in the stump when it went over. Looks like the chain was still moving, but hard to tell.

Lucky Lucky Lucky! Even if the chain wasnt turning the cutters going across the face would be very bad. I once slid across a cutter sharpening my saw and cut my finger half way off.

And this doesn't even include getting his leg slow-crushed by the thick section of tree that was just released from the stump. No wonder he moved off camera so quickly. I too, would want to change my BVD's.

Think that the chain brake kicked in?

Philbert

I would assume that it didn't since it didn't "kick back" -- rather it appears the bar/saw got yanked forward. I don't think pulling the saw forward will trip the chain brake.

Well, he is a hoosier.....

Of course I have "turtle man" as a neighbor.....

He tells Leno and Eddie Murphy about his chainsaw accident...

main thing was, nobody got hurt.

Almost only counts in horseshoes, and hand grenades. :msp_tongue:

What strikes me odd about this is it should have been a clean cut since he had the trunk in the air. I woner what actually stuck on the saw into the tree.

Only thing I can think is he was heavily dogged into it and did not pull the saw out to finish the final part of the cut.

I know from the few large trees I have cut with a lot of weight/load I try to finish the cut as light as possible so I can pull the saw out once the two seperate so I allow myself a less tiem to run if somethign goes bad:msp_sad:

What strikes me odd about this is it should have been a clean cut since he had the trunk in the air. I woner what actually stuck on the saw into the tree.

There were a few reactive forces involved:
- the normal separation of the 2, heavy pieces;
- the root section trying to right itself / stand up when released;
- the mechanical arm holding or pulling the trunk section.

I can anticipate the first 2. The last is the reason I never want someone 'helping me' by holding onto something I am cutting, or cutting on the same trunk at the same time. I think that the mechanical arm may have jerked up on the trunk, or twisted it, when the cutter was expecting it to fall, resulting in a pinch with the root section standing back up.

Philbert

Last edited:
There were a few reactive forces involved:
- the normal separation of the 2, heavy pieces;
- the root section trying to right itself / stand up when released;
- the mechanical arm holding or pulling the trunk section.

I can anticipate the first 2. The last is the reason I never want someone 'helping me' by holding onto something I am cutting, or cutting on the same trunk at the same time. I think that the mechanical arm may have jerked up on the trunk when the cutter was expecting it to fall, resulting in a pinch with the root section standing back up.

Philbert

With the force at hand I wonder is he did not under cut it at all and the lip of what he did not get through at the end took the saw upward and away from him with allt he load on it?

There clearly is a lesson to be learned here that I am trying to not put myself in down the road after watching this.

Back