Chainsaw costs could soon rise.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These are the sub-headings of the proposed "harmonized tariff schedule of the united states". this is not political post don't make it into one or many will not see it because they will move it, so please only respond to the cost issue not why its about time or any of that stuff, its my hobby. So it means it is possible it's going to cost more for chainsaws and their parts, so your collections will be worth more and your part inventory will be worth more and when you purchase again it will cost more. One number is for parts and one number is for non-electric chainsaws so we can track how all these costs fall out. I know stihl and many other companies rely on the chinese for parts and sometimes the entire product. Now would be a good time to assess any maintenance your equipment might require and not put it off.
is there a direct link to the proposed legislation that is easy to find, so we can read for ourselves?
My "guess" is that any cost increase will be levied at the wholesale or entry into USA level.
In my particular case I set pricing for everything i sell based on total actual costs - the product, the shipping to the USA, the insurance, bonds, clearance, expediting and customs fees, the shipping from the harbor to me, the packaging and shipping to customers, the e-commerce and payment fees and finally my profit margin. For small inexpensive items the tariffs would have to be huge to make a lot of difference in the end user price. For cylinder kits I could see a bump of dollars rather than cents, same with pistons. I could also see slower customs clearance for shipments from affected countries and perhaps more detailed/complicated paperwork. The documentation that accompanies Chinese shipments is sparse compared to shipments from Italy at this point, supposedly due to most favored nation trading status with China.
I am interested to see where this goes and if it will squeeze Chinese goods to the point that the generally higher quality Taiwanese products see a bump in market share.
Dave

is there a direct link to the proposed legislation that is easy to find, so we can read for ourselves?
My "guess" is that any cost increase will be levied at the wholesale or entry into USA level.
In my particular case I set pricing for everything i sell based on total actual costs - the product, the shipping to the USA, the insurance, bonds, clearance, expediting and customs fees, the shipping from the harbor to me, the packaging and shipping to customers, the e-commerce and payment fees and finally my profit margin. For small inexpensive items the tariffs would have to be huge to make a lot of difference in the end user price. For cylinder kits I could see a bump of dollars rather than cents, same with pistons. I could also see slower customs clearance for shipments from affected countries and perhaps more detailed/complicated paperwork. The documentation that accompanies Chinese shipments is sparse compared to shipments from Italy at this point, supposedly due to most favored nation trading status with China.
I am interested to see where this goes and if it will squeeze Chinese goods to the point that the generally higher quality Taiwanese products see a bump in market share.
Dave

We can keep track, thats why i wrote the name of the list and the two item numbers that relate to the thread post and the reason for the thread. When we direct order its going to be different for us and your right the documentation will be greater and the lines longer. Again, I can not point out in the thread how all this is effects us, but as far as my hobby goes, you make my point by noticing the loner wait times on both sides of the border so this is going effect all of us in this boat in ways at first blush you never considered. The impact also is going to raise the prices for things that will have an impact on all stihl equipment orders. they have that list constructed so even if the item like "chainsaws" is not on the list the machinery that makes the parts likely is. so, its going to be far reaching. if i go to replace my carb for example at my stihl dealer and they do something like 25% its gonna make me sad at the cash register. i knew i would endure some folks that would say we wont feel the effects, and since in our life time we have not, if it goes forward we will and it concerns me. but, this will not be a surprise because those that read this thread will know, i would rather know so I can adjust if possible, its not possible if you never knew. I think there will be other sources that pop up, but their capacity will be much lower. A lot of this stuff you never considered where it was made. dave you and ozhoo are one of a handful of sellers on ebay that will say the brand on aftermarket parts. that info will be more important after the fact and ebay will need to require that new origin info, i think. i am sure they will adjust my retirement check to cover these new costs, i bet they do it automatically. ;-)

A $100 Stihl china zama carb isn't going to be $125 if there was a 25% aluminum tariff.
The raw aluminum or iron ore could be impacted. The sky isn't falling yet. The manufacturing could come back to the states.
One is Apples touch screens on their devices, They are in talks to come stateside.
Samsung makes for them as of now.

Many countries, including Canada should have, and will now have to look hard at their trade deficits. China has for many years used dirty tactics in order to crush other countries manufacturing sectors. Since everything in China is government controlled, they have the ability to use the law of averages, and have no problem subsidizing good potential world wide products, with money made from profitable products. This is done to undercut, until the competition is out of business, or too weak to compete. Then they stabilize the price, and turn it into another profitable product, which again will help subsidize the next. China is also the money and brains behind products made in many other 3rd world countries.

Yes, everything is going to go up in price, unfortunately. Unfortunately this inflation of prices will also inflate borrowing interest rates. The bright light in all of this, is that the middle class in consuming countries may actually have a chance to survive in the long haul, and prices should stabilize, after some uncertainty.

As for me, I'm in the process of upgrading some of my big ticket stuff, and holding onto some of my other stuff for a while, because it will go up as well, along with new, and I will sell when I think I'm going to do ok.

I think with the retaliation bantering going back and forth, that this will become more widespread. For a while at least.

Talk of tarriff? That will make the markets and futures fluctuate, just the talk of it.

Enacting tarriffs will make prices do also.

Which are we discussing?

Average, handheld, yard equipment carburetor should have about two~two & half oz of aluminum in it, a strato carb is probably about twice that amount if you figure for the extra valve assembly being metal also.

I can't see any rational for the price going up more than the price of a bottled soft drink.
Any more $$ and we're being hoodooed somewhere along the way.

Since this is merely a hobby for many of us we can always change hobbies if the price goes up too much. I traded for a nice set of golf clubs last Fall and really haven't had a chance to try them out...
Ever notice what hitting a golf ball in the rough, a sand trap, or the water several times accomplishes? You could have been bringing in firewood to heat your house or repairing a chainsaw. Which is better, bringing a chainsaw back to life or chasing after a white golf ball, even if you sank a long putt or drove it 300 yards? I've done both and prefer equipment repair or a comfortable house. Just MHO.

Ever notice what hitting a golf ball in the rough, a sand trap, or the water several times accomplishes? You could have been bringing in firewood to heat your house or repairing a chainsaw. Which is better, bringing a chainsaw back to life or chasing after a white golf ball, even if you sank a long putt or drove it 300 yards? I've done both and prefer equipment repair or a comfortable house. Just MHO.
I stated earlier that it was merely a distraction, I just went and retrieved 4 chainsaws to repair and another on the way. I started playing golf back in the sixties, much before I started messing with saws so basically this Summer I intend to get a little golfing in also but doubt if I'll ever sell saws on ebay again. Selling on ebay is much more frustrating than any golf I've ever played..

I just went through the new lists and yes there are two lists to wade through now and the numbers i posted did not show up. these number sets were punctuated so I adjusted them for the search. then I scrolled the two lists twice and the chainsaw stuff is no longer on there...that I see. bearings are.

Good Lord. They are already crazy expensive. Like Harley said, I wouldn't expect much change if any.
If you think Saws/parts in the US are expensive compared to the rest of the world you are in wonderland, price wise they have been for many years if not from year one, for kit manufactured outside of the country I always viewed it as turnover/throughput but you have the luxury of most goods being a lower price, until your postal charges went into telephone directory numbers it was cheaper for me to buy carb kits & small items from the US+ S & H than I could buy from my local dealer here in France with the rise in S & H charges it's a tiny bit cheaper to buy locally now

There's been so many tariffs proposed that it's hard to tell what will actually be levied. It's still at the posturing and threats stage.
But the original "steel and aluminium" tariff on China was actually on hundreds of categories of goods. I found the document- literally pages and pages of WTO goods categories. Broad categories like classes of farm equipment. The media over simplified it to just steel and aluminium. Maybe the administration did too and that's where they got it from. But its far more. It'd directly affect a lot of major components and finished products.

Retail prices on some Chinese-made tractor implements that I'd been considering buying jumped up 25-33% in the last few weeks in anticipation of the tariffs. There are a lot of Chinese parts and whole implements sold for small farm use. For example the gearboxes for brush hogs and post hole diggers are only made in China. Many global manufacturer have components made in China. How do you think they learned how to make all those Stihl parts? VW gets tons of stuff made there, all to their spec and QA, and assemble them into cars in plants all over the world including the US. All major auto manufacturers do the same. The effects, assuming we end up with tariffs like the original "steel and aluminium" one, will be much broader than people think. And the retaliatory tariffs will make it much worse.

Protectionism was a major factor in deepening and prolonging the 1930's depression. Trade wars are "easy to win" only if you're so wealthy that you don't care how much stuff costs. Everyone else feels the effects.

There's been so many tariffs proposed that it's hard to tell what will actually be levied. It's still at the posturing and threats stage.
But the original "steel and aluminium" tariff on China was actually on hundreds of categories of goods. I found the document- literally pages and pages of WTO goods categories. Broad categories like classes of farm equipment. The media over simplified it to just steel and aluminium. Maybe the administration did too and that's where they got it from. But its far more. It'd directly affect a lot of major components and finished products.

Retail prices on some Chinese-made tractor implements that I'd been considering buying jumped up 25-33% in the last few weeks in anticipation of the tariffs. There are a lot of Chinese parts and whole implements sold for small farm use. For example the gearboxes for brush hogs and post hole diggers are only made in China. Many global manufacturer have components made in China. How do you think they learned how to make all those Stihl parts? VW gets tons of stuff made there, all to their spec and QA, and assemble them into cars in plants all over the world including the US. All major auto manufacturers do the same. The effects, assuming we end up with tariffs like the original "steel and aluminium" one, will be much broader than people think. And the retaliatory tariffs will make it much worse.

Protectionism was a major factor in deepening and prolonging the 1930's depression. Trade wars are "easy to win" only if you're so wealthy that you don't care how much stuff costs. Everyone else feels the effects.
That was what I was afraid of. I don't think tariffs are applied like that. It's like a tax the buyer is responsible for. So if your Chinese goods went up before the tariff you need to find another dealer. I think it's a line item.

chainsaw kits and packing lists
http://thechainsawkitguy.com
http://YouTube.com/c/the1chainsawguy

Tariffs are applied on goods crossing borders. The importer is responsible for paying them on import. How they recoup that cost is up to them. Importers may be raising prices already in anticipation, or the retailer might be. That happens a lot with other goods like gasoline- crude prices go up and the corner gas station raises their prices even though it takes time for the more expensive crude to get to the refinery then to distributor then to retailer.

There's a lot of tariffs on goods now, for example the famous "chicken tax" on foreign light trucks. You don't see them listed as a line item when you buy one. It wouldn't be a bad idea for retailers to do that though, it would make people more aware of them and maybe complain to their legislators.

Tariffs are applied on goods crossing borders. The importer is responsible for paying them on import. How they recoup that cost is up to them. Importers may be raising prices already in anticipation, or the retailer might be. That happens a lot with other goods like gasoline- crude prices go up and the corner gas station raises their prices even though it takes time for the more expensive crude to get to the refinery then to distributor then to retailer.

There's a lot of tariffs on goods now, for example the famous "chicken tax" on foreign light trucks. You don't see them listed as a line item when you buy one. It wouldn't be a bad idea for retailers to do that though, it would make people more aware of them and maybe complain to their legislators.

So customs sends you a bill.

"A specific tariff is levied as a fixed fee based on the type of item, for example, $1,000 on any car. "

I meant as in the definition:

an entry that appears on a separate line in a bookkeeping ledger or a fiscal budget.

A separate charge

chainsaw kits and packing lists
http://thechainsawkitguy.com
http://YouTube.com/c/the1chainsawguy

I stated earlier that it was merely a distraction, I just went and retrieved 4 chainsaws to repair and another on the way. I started playing golf back in the sixties, much before I started messing with saws so basically this Summer I intend to get a little golfing in also but doubt if I'll ever sell saws on ebay again. Selling on ebay is much more frustrating than any golf I've ever played..
I play lots of golf. Certainly doesn’t accomplish anything. Not sure where you’re going with that? My wood is put up for the year. It’s a hobby of mine as well. My saws all run and on my one day off a week I can do what I feel like is fun it’s a very challenging game. You should give it a go. Maybe you’d like the challenge

Back