Chainsaw cutting out after 10 minutes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lego1970

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 55cc Craftsman Chainsaw. I've had it for about 2.5 years and it's been a good saw for my needs but in the last couple weeks it's been acting up.

It starts and runs great for about 10 minutes both at idle, thottling up, and at full speed, both without a load and under a load......then all of a sudden after about 5 to 10 minutes it starts to bog down under a load. It still will idle a little bit but barely. Then if I wait 15 minutes and start the saw again, it will once again run great for about 5-10 minutes then all of a sudden bog down and want to quit. When it starts to bog down, it's very sudden and acts like it's running out of gas, yet there will still be plenty of fuel in the tank, and likewise the bar oil is not running out either and the chain tension is fine.

I was thinking that maybe it's was running so hot that the rings where expanding and the engine was starting to seize up and that's why it seems to run fine after it cooled down, so I adjusted the carb to make it run a little richer and also made my fuel/oil mix with more oil, but that seemed to have no affect at all on it. So now I'm kinda thinking it maybe vapor locking or something along that line after it gets hot or maybe the coil is not working properly when it gets hot. I had a lawn mower that did sort of the same thing when it's coil got hot, but it would completely shut down, as where this saw will still kinda of idle.

Any ideas on what this could be and or info on how to check vapor locking would be geatly appreciated. However please don't respond with "Buy a Stihl", or "Throw it in the Garbage". I know the Craftsman is a inferior chainsaw, but I would like to stick with what would cause the engine to do that and not a chainsaw debate. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Buy a Husqvarna and throw the Crapsman in the garbage.....:buttkick: sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like what a little Homelite was doing to me, it was the coil in that saw. Would start and run great for about 10 minutes and then just go south. Let it cool off for a bit and do it again 10 minutes later. I guess the coil was breaking down....

Mike

Last edited:
Buy a Husqvarna and throw it in the garbage.....:buttkick: sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like what a little Homelite was doing to me, it was the coil in that saw. Would start and run great for about 10 minutes and then just go south. Let it cool off for a bit and do it again 10 minutes later. I guess the coil was breaking down....

Mike

I can handle a little :poke: :) Thanks for the response, I'm kinda thinking that could be it, but I'll see if anybody else might have any other suggestions before I go buy a new coil. Thanks.

Two possibilities. The coil has been mentioned, but the tank may not be properly venting, or the fuel filter may be plugged. Easy to check for the tank vent, when the saw dies, open the gas cap and listen for a vacuum hiss as it opens. Very likely is the problem. If changing fuel filters doesn't help or clearing the tank vent, then you have a coil problem.

I'm sorry I can't help you with specifics too much, I threw my Sears saw in the trash.

Just updating,

Turned out to be the coil and you can't get that coil from Sears anymore, however I see a coil every now and then on ebay so I might gamble and buy one so I can use this saw as a backup saw.

Bought a Stihl Farm Boss with 20" and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the suggestions above.

Latest posts

Back