Chainsaw Famine in the South

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a little problem with internet. If people really really need the saw, they may be using what they have, or they have no power to see your saw.

Our power and internet went out Wednesday evening and didn't come back on until the following Monday. Others were out much longer. Cable was down so cable modems were out, phone lines were out so no dialup, and some cell towers were out of commission so wireless was out for a lot of people (some carriers did came back quicker than others).

...The destruction is mind boggling. I saw some of it today, houses just gone with nothing left except the foundation...

Sounds like Homestead, FL after Hurricane Andrew. Wife and I lived just north of there back then. We weren't completely wiped out but pretty nearly so. Doesn't seem like almost 19 years ago. Yes it does take quite a while to recover, financially and otherwise.

Went back to Apison today, worked till I started getting cramps. The devastation is incredible. I had tears in my eyes on the way home. The homeowner we helped today was incredibly lucky. House and buildings were spared with minor damage. Several hundred trees on their property were destroyed, there is maybe ten or fifteen that can be salvaged.

Two houses down, whole family wiped out except eight year old boy found in a tree with broken bones. Homeowner told me day after, all she heard was chainsaws and gunshots. They were killing all the cows that landed in the trees. There were several children orphaned in that neighborhood. I almost broke down then. Driving home, I did break down and cried. Looks like I will be doing this every weekend this summer.

There is no way I can go out riding my bike when there is so much need. Totally put a different perspective on life.

Wowzer. I can not believe how a simple storm can be so able to cause so much damage:dizzy: It ia amazing how people wait till after a disaster to prepare :dizzy: Glad the saw supplier stepped up to help :rock: Sorry to hear people are so under prepared for the size of this disaster. Well after this say price on ebay will plumit:msp_wink:

Not sure you can prepare for a disaster such as this.
Also, don't think it would matter if you had prepared and had 10 saws in your garage if you couldn't find your garage cause it was scattered all over the county.

It ia amazing how people wait till after a disaster to prepare :dizzy: ... Sorry to hear people are so under prepared for the size of this disaster. Well after this say price on ebay will plumit:msp_wink:

Perhaps you need a reality check. Easy to play "armchair quarterback" from the other side of the continent and chastise people for their perceived lack of preparation. Just maybe many of these people were prepared with extra food, water, a portable generator, chain saws, etc. in the event of an emergency. Like most people they had them stored in their home or garage so that they would be readily available when needed.

Then last week a 200 MPH tornado decided to target their neighborhood and flatten everything within a 1/4 mile radius. Not only are their emergency supplies gone, but so were all their material possessions, the house they called home and quite possibly family members, relatives and friends.

Sometimes it is better to pass on a subject than to post and show your ignorance.

We were lucky and our farm didn't take a direct hit, but one of the tornadoes came close. We had trees down on fences all around, and a lot of our neighbors had trees down. I spent the day after from daylight 'til dark cutting trees and repairing fences for myself and the neighbors.

A lot of folks I know have 75-100 or more trees down. Others lost practically everything they own. It's pretty sobering to see someone standing in a pile of rubble that used to be their home trying to find something worth saving.

Here is the current list of those who died:

Add another one to the list from Madison County/Harvest. A 32 year old women died from her injuries from the storm 4/27 a couple days ago. She lived in the Harvest/Lockhart Road area that was hit so hard. This is the same area that my son and I worked for three days last week.

The damage was incredible. Houses - totally gone. The Harvest Youth Club was right next to what looked like very lightly damaged mobile home. It wasn't until the third day or so before I noticed that it had been moved about 6 feet off it's foundations.

No offense: anyone who thinks this was a "simple storm", is a moron.

+1

Plus even if every professional arborist in a five hundred mile radius shows up, there is still too much work left to do.

It is a war zone ... they have not even started putting a dent in the debries on the side of the roads.

I am leaving in a couple minutes to put in a couple hours in and will do the same most every weekend this summer.

No offense: anyone who thinks this was a "simple storm", is a moron.

Cut those guys some slack. They have no comprehension of the scale of the devastation. Hell, I know its bad, but I have no idea how bad it really is. You people were chosen to walk this path for a reason. Do it well.

If there is anything the outsiders can do to help, please tell us. Even if it is just coming down with some guns to guard the homes while people are out working helping other people, a little peace of mind would go a long way.

You guys need anything sent down there? Is there any place to ship stuff to?

PM me if you do not want to respond here.

Scott.

Cut those guys some slack. They have no comprehension of the scale of the devastation. Hell, I know its bad, but I have no idea how bad it really is. You people were chosen to walk this path for a reason. Do it well.

If there is anything the outsiders can do to help, please tell us. Even if it is just coming down with some guns to guard the homes while people are out working helping other people, a little peace of mind would go a long way.

You guys need anything sent down there? Is there any place to ship stuff to?

PM me if you do not want to respond here.

Scott.

Scott, it wasn't "guys", it was just one, but point taken.

The best place to start to help those in need here in Alabama is probably the ServeAlabama.gov site here: Governor

For example, they are now routing all volunteer help through the First Baptist Church downtown Huntsville to the problem areas. I *think* most supply issues are being resolved, at least I've not heard of any outstanding needs lately. While the area was devastated, fortunately, it was limited to a single region and once outside that region, things are available and can be and are being shipped in.

Thanks,

Scope

The scope of the devestation here isn't translated well on the news people are seeing...

I'm right in the middle of one of the hardest hit areas, Myself and 4-5 of my friends have been sawing sunup too sundown and we haven't made a dent in a 1/4 mile stretch of road

My saws are beat, desperately in need of maintenance, and all my chain is about shot... and saying I have a bunch of saws and a lot of chain is a gross understatement.

There was a rep from oregeon at my local dealer helping out with chain loops, several of my saws run bars far larger than average for this area so there isnt anything pre-made and they hooked me up with some custom loops real quick.

There is just so much junk in urban stormfall that chains take a severe beating... Ive got to get an order together for chain but right now I dont know wher to start.

Feel your pain cuz I wuz there...

Having spent 3 days with a group of guys from my church helping cleanup in a little town called Phil Campbell, AL, well, all I can say is we're praying for those who were so devastated. Looks like WW 3 in that area. We have a really good Stihl dealer here in Orlando, Trail Saw and Mower, who got a package deal for us on several new Stihls, just because he knew we were going to help out. Big thanks to him...When we got there none of us could believe the total destruction, and we're from Fla, where we've seen hurricane stuff often. We used those Stihls for 3 days straight, problem free, I spent most of my time fueling and sharpening (evidently that tree they call 'white oak' dulls a chain to useless in about 2 tanks of fuel) and repairing/sharpening locals saws. We cannot say enough about the hospitality of the locals, taking good care of us, making sure we were fed and had housing. Nicest people in the world...When we left, we donated those saws to the local church, the pastor was speechless, and we're trying to get another trip together soon to help out some more. If any of you go there to help out, just make sure you take plenty of chains, sharpeners, mix and chain oil etc to be on the safe side. And pray for these folks. Volunteer to help, God will bless you for it.

I know hat you mean, Grits. I spent 8 days total sawing. I had to buy 2 new chains, a fuel line for the 025, and went through a half dozen files. Before the storm,I had 4 saws with new 33 RSC chains, and two of those are now worn more than 50%. The other two weren't used as much because they are both 40 year old saws, and I carried them for back up (306A and Mac 5-10). The totally rebuilt 51 developed an air leak, and I haven't had time to look at it. Rocked the chain on the 025, and half wore out the new replacement. The Craftsman3.7/Poulan 3800 was worked so hard I had to let it set a few minutes after refueling because of vapor lock.
Motohead, that white/water oak ain't all of it. Those pecan and hickory's will have you begging for a Hackberry just so you can take a break. Most everything I messed with was at least 24" DBH. At one site, it took 2 of us 2 days to clear 50 yards of a driveway.
It's time to bring in the grapples and tub grinders now. There's an estimated 1.5 million cubic feet of storm debris to clear in just Tuscaloosa county. That's what the city landfill would normally take in in roughly 10-15 years.

As others have said, it's like a war zone. I cut for seven days straight before I had to go back to work. I lost a saw motor on my husqvarna 55 and I would gladly do it again. Thank you to everybody that helped with the cleanup efforts. VOAD would be who to contact or 211 if you want to help. For those needing chains/saw supplies in the Huntsville area, Buddy's Small Engine on Triana has a some supplies, Home Depot at University Dr. and the Parkway has quite a few oregon chains.

Thanks ... every little bit helps. There is no way that TV and video can start showing the extent of the devastation.

Some of the lesser populated areas of Northeastern Alabama like Sand Mountain are hurting bad because they are off the beaten path.

Lots of those folks are getting 150 to 300 dollar checks from FEMA and they are pizzed ... won't even cover clearing the driveway from trees.

There is some hurting people there folks ... every little bit helps.

Worked with a bobcat clearing out debris last Saturday ... I kept him going steady hauling 3 footers to a burn pile. He was impressed with the MS362 handling that wood. Lonely widow was grateful for clearing her land.

Still several upright trees on her land with nasty widowmakers that will have to be taken down with a bucket. We are talking 10 inch or more branches hanging by slivers. Ain't touching that with a hundred foot pole.

If anyone around the north alabama area has a 50-60" .375 pitch bar to fit my 2101xp they could loan me for a couple days I would gladly return the favor in whatever way I could... I'm a fairly skilled CNC machinist so that custom part you wanted for your saw could easily be built. :)

Or if anyone has a used bar they would sell... doesn't have to be in great shape, odds are I will only use it this once.

Latest posts

Back