chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jthornton

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Give free hand filing a try, the only equipment needed is the file and a handle (which can be made from a limb if need be).

That's what I've been doing since I got my first saw... I recently got the Stihl file guides for my two saws and they seem to work better than by hand. At least I can keep the angle close with them.

JT

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I just bought the granberg file guide & good files from baileys, and love it. . . . Anyway, my question is how will I know when my file is shot?
Sounds like you have something that works for you. Short answer is: when it stops working.

Files are a consumable item, like sandpaper. You can keep using old sandpaper, and make some progress, but not the same as when you pick up a new sheet.

It also helps to think of files as a cutting tool, with hundreds (thousands?) of cutting edges. Don't drop them, or bang them around - this damages the cutting edges. The file has to be harder than the steel it is cutting, so the fine, sharp edges can be brittle. As mentioned, store them individually in a plastic soda straw, or wrapped in paper, to keep them from hitting things. Don't drag them on the back stroke (pick them up; or with the Granberg jig, hold the file slightly away on the back stroke) -this also damages the cutting edges.

It is a good idea to tap the file on it's end and brush it with a 'file card' (brush designed for this purpose) to clean out the gullets - clogged files will not cut well even if sharp. This will be harder to do when mounted in the Granberg jig, but something you can do if you change files for different pitch chains. Or just periodically. Also, as noted, rotate the file slightly in the jig periodically, so that it wears evenly.

At some point, it just won't cut like the new one anymore, and it's time to toss it, recycle it, or relegate it to some other application. At a buck or so a piece (bought by the dozen), it is not a hard thing to replace.

Philbert

shorty2000us

shorty2000us

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for all the info guys. Did all my chains Friday, and cut & split all weekend. Definitely better than the timberline, IMO, and I actually think a little better than new. Anyway, a local scrounge Saturday of 2 boxelder from CL, and Sunday consisted of a 30" soft maple & 4 black locust, from a guy at work. Happy cutting!

Icehouse

Icehouse

ArboristSite MVP
Stihlaficionado talked me into trying "save edge files", I've got to say they're really a nice file, but I still think "the best" are my favorite. They are impossible to find but our stihl shop orders them from secret little guy that has a warehouse under a bridge somewhere. o_O

turnkey4099
You should note that whatever idiot composed the ad, has it clamped on the bar backwards, using the chain stop against the depth gauge. Totally twisted! Que pendejo!

If you go to use one, and study the job for a minute or so, it's so obvious.

I don't have the Granberg but one very similar. Stop against the depth guage is the way I work it and, as far as I can see, there is no other way to use it. Where do you set it if not there? I'll check how it works against the tooth but I can't see that it makes a whit of difference.

Harry K

turnkey4099
I don't have the Granberg but one very similar. Stop against the depth guage is the way I work it and, as far as I can see, there is no other way to use it. Where do you set it if not there? I'll check how it works against the tooth but I can't see that it makes a whit of difference.

Harry K

jthornton said:
Is this the link > Granberg filing < device you guys are referring to?

JT
You should note that whatever idiot composed the ad, has it clamped on the bar backwards, using the chain stop against the depth gauge. Totally twisted! Que pendejo!

Still curious unless you mean to put it on _behind_ the tooth - never saw anyone doing that and since the link has a picture obviously from the Granberg outfit...

Harry K

turnkey4099
jthornton said:
Is this the link > Granberg filing < device you guys are referring to?

JT

Still curious unless you mean to put it on _behind_ the tooth - never saw anyone doing that and since the link has a picture obviously from the Granberg outfit...

Harry K

OHHHH!!! I just looked at the pic again and you are right! It is backward! I had had a few too many last night, dunno why I didn't see today.

Harry K

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
OHHHH!!! I just looked at the pic again and you are right! It is backward! I had had a few too many last night, dunno why I didn't see today.

Harry K

Gees Harry, you had me wondering for a bit, how to respond to your prior. The folks at NT certainly did not get their ad pic from
Granberg. My comment about "idiot" stands. :crazy2: First time I saw that was a :wtf: moment. Still is. Hoist a pint whenever possible.

Latest posts