Chainsaw fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunoco fuel distributors, they mostly deal in high performance fuels for race applications, but that one is made specifically for small engine apps
Thank you, if you provide me a chainsaw repair facility I can send a free sample of the ASPEN 2 for you to demo no Aromatics less fumes if you would like.

I use Amsoil Sabre oil mixed at 60:1. This feeds my Homelite XL12, my Stihl MS211, my Husky weed trimmer, Craftsman leaf blower, Stihl pole saw, and my Lawnboy push mower. Everything has used this mix for at least ten years, except for my Stihl MS211, which has use it for 3 years, which is when I bought it new.

No scoring, no carbon build up, no sour fuel problems.

Hi Bryan- Have you tried the ASPEN fuel yet, at least (5) year shelf life and (3) year after opening comes in the following sizes- quart, gallon, 5 gallon, 16gallon and 55 gallon? If your using non-ethanol fuel it wouldn't hurt to use B3C products or Startron to help keep the fuel from varnishing. I work for a distributor in Pennsylvania and we have had a really good response to both. -Todd
I have used Startron for over 10 yrs in all my vehicles Gas or Diesel 2 cycle or 4 cycle . My engine builder buddy turned me on to it . Best investment within fuel conditioner / stabilizer I have ever used .

I wanted a Hodaka real bad when I was starting out. The dealers must have been too far away. I loved the growl of the CZ's straight cut primary gears, a sound that no other bike had. Such a weird thing to like.:rolleyes: A pic of one of my early CZ hero's bike, Jaroslav Falta. I took this pic in 1969 at Unadilla NY which is not too far from Woodstock. We tried our best to make Woodstock but for a reason I can't remember, it never happened.

View attachment 938465
I think I know the reason , roflmao ! I think we had better let the thread get back to gasoline but , yeah loved my CZ .

Do yall mix your own or buy premixed fuel
If you mix your own how long is it good for

It depends on how much cutting I need to do. If I'm filling up the saw all day long I will mix at 40:1 with whatever 2-stroke oil I have and mid or high grade Efuel. I would love to use non Efuel but have to drive too far for it. For occasional cutting or storage I use 40:1 Trufuel. I can't honestly say how long the mix lasts, but before the internet it seemed to last a very long time, or at least until it was all used up.

I had some medical issues a while back and didn't trim for at least 2 years, most likely more. The trimmer is stored in a hot, cold, sometimes very humid shed. I went to use and it had 1/4 tank of Efuel mixed with HP Stihl oil. By all accounts it shouldn't have started, but it quickly did and ran as though I had just poured fresh gas in it. I have had numerous experiences like this with mix and straight fuel in small engines so I really can't say how long it will last.

I buy real gas not E Gas i mix it 50.1 with RedArmor oil for normal everyday chainsaw use, but when i am not going to use my saws for a while i but RedArmor Premix canned Fuel it's costly so i watch it's need.

I use Amsoil Sabre oil mixed at 60:1. This feeds my Homelite XL12, my Stihl MS211, my Husky weed trimmer, Craftsman leaf blower, Stihl pole saw, and my Lawnboy push mower. Everything has used this mix for at least ten years, except for my Stihl MS211, which has use it for 3 years, which is when I bought it new.

No scoring, no carbon build up, no sour fuel problems.
I also have a Sthil MS211 have it set with a 16 inch bar, for trimming just wish it had a decomp like my Sthil MS261.

I only buy pre-mixed in a can but given the price increase lately I might start mixing my own with non-ethanol. I never use ethanol gas in small equipment as I have found that the equipment doesn't last very long.
Many years ago i had to use ethanol fuel in a chainsaw, a year later i tried removing the fuel filter and the tubing was hard and snapped off at the wall of fuel tank.

My chainsaw and lawn repair guy and also many people who have worked on my autos, they say ethanol fuel is tough on rubber and plastic parts of the fuel system.

Sure today the rubber and plastic parts are made of stronger material, but ethanol even 10% draws moisture and any moisture meaning water is not good for any fuel system IMHO am sure others might differ in regards to it.

I can buy 4-stroke alkylate fuel (like Aspen but different brand) from a pump at local gas station way cheaper than buying it in retail canisters. I run it straight in my 4T small engines like lawnmowers etc. and also mix 2T oil to it and run it in all of my 2T machines. Its high octane and burns clean too.

I never run the saws dry when I store them but leave the alkylate gas in them.This stuff does not go bad like normal gas. IMO carb membranes go hard when they dry so I prefer to keep them lubed with fuel mix. Since I've been doing this I've never had carb, fuel hose or such problems. I am a true believer in alkylate gasoline (vs. normal pump gas).

Been using premix 50:1 from Home Depot in the Echo Timber Wolf and Ryobi Weed Whacker with a blade. A little more cost but never a problem starting up, even after sitting for a couple weeks with some fuel in the tank. Clean, reliable... no fuss, works for me. If I was running saws all day every day, I might do it differently, but I can count on a quick start and good running when I need it.

i had to mix up a few gallons of stihl mix today, the silver bottle is what i had. first time i have read past add how ever many gallons to it. the not so fine print says, fuel stabilizers already were added. no sense in doing it twice.

A fellow sawyer gave me a 3/4 full can of Stihl fuel. He also gave me his 362C-M with a locked up crank bearing. Maybe I'll just run that fuel in my vehicle... I'm sure the fuel is ok... I always mixed my own fuel as I know what I have. A couple of years ago he gave me his MS360 with a bent crank. Just unlucky perhaps?

I go to the local small airport and buy 5 gallons of 100LL fuel, with Seafoam and Stabil already in the 5 gal can. I mix up 1 gallon of premix at a time using synthetic oil.

That typically lasts around 6 moths.

Latest posts

Back