chainsaw helmets opinions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havvey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
where and what type do you all use. I have had a lot off trouble with the face shilds and repair parts arn't available. some are getting exspencive!!:biggrinbounce2: :yoyo:

I like my Stihl helmet/mesh face shield/ear muff combo.
Comfortable and nice to wear.

I use the Stihl Forestry helmet in my yard bucking firewood, and running the grass trimmer. Beyond that, it's too cumbersome and top-heavy for me. Especially when falling a tree, and looking up to watch for movement. It almost feels like it wants to fall off backwards. In timber I wear a seperate hard hat and mesh goggles. When climbing I wear a Petzl with the same goggles. Not the Ecrin, but the newer one, can't remember it's name off the top of my head...

Jeff

Last edited:
Hey Fishhuntcutwood

I use the jonsered forestry helmet (does'nt Matter what brand) I also think the mesh makes it combersome. So I use safty glasses. I like the the ear muff. hard hat combo. sense I have modded mufflers on my saws.
Hey Jeff, I looked at the pics. You have posted and was wondering what type of goggles you use?
I also like using my forest fire hard hat. It has a better head band adjuster in it.

manual-
I don't so much mind the mesh on the helmet, as I do the way it sits on my head, and when the muffs are up, it's very top heavy. I do feel the big visor limits visibility a bit though.

I use the Bugz mesh goggles. I've seen them in 30 and 20 lpi. I like the 30. It's a broader mesh, and doesn't hold water and sweat as much. They don't fog up and the vis is great. I often foget that I have them on. They're great.

Jeff

helmet

i like the face shield for liming dense softwood and weedwacker/string trimmer use. Earmuffs are needed as i have trouble with my ears (and still can't hear)
where do you guys by at a good price?:yoyo: :biggrinbounce2:

JPP said:
I like my Stihl helmet/mesh face shield/ear muff combo.
Comfortable and nice to wear.
Ditto here on the Stihl helmet. I like mine and it was free. Dad bought it and wore it once-couldn't stand it so he gave it to me.:biggrinbounce2:
Finnbear

Stihl helmet system. I like the Steel mesh face shield. Always amazes me the amount of crap that gets stuck in it that was heading to my face.

I just got a Husky Pro Forest helmet. I like it pretty well. It fits snug and doesn't feel to top heavy to me. O course my friends tell me I have a mighty big head, so that could play some part in it:laugh:

Lakeside53 said:
Always amazes me the amount of crap that gets stuck in it that was heading to my face.

What Andy, you don't like wood chips in your mouth and up your nose?

That is the one drawback of the goggles alone while in a tree-you often can't move out of the way, and my mouth and mustache are full of chips, dust and sap after a day of cutting.

Husky

I use the husky helmet with the mesh, and really like and I don't cut with out it, one time I had wood chip shooting a hole through my lip all the way in to my teeth, don't want a chip like hit my eye or my lip again,, the blood was pissing from my lip and on my clothing ,,

/Kristoffer

run away chips

Yea that is one thing to consider, wood chips can have a edge to them.
I was looking at one of our sponsors mags. at the mesh goggles and noticed that the full systems they sell have a ratchet adjustment over the snap to adjust type and at a good price too.

fishhuntcutwood said:
That is the one drawback of the goggles alone while in a tree-you often can't move out of the way, and my mouth and mustache are full of chips, dust and sap after a day of cutting.

SAP in your mustache? what have you been doing? Thall isn't going to be happy...

SWE#Kipp said:
I use the husky helmet with the mesh, and really like and I don't cut with out it, one time I had wood chip shooting a hole through my lip all the way in to my teeth, don't want a chip like hit my eye or my lip again,, the blood was pissing from my lip and on my clothing ,,

/Kristoffer

Now that's what I call rough. I've had chips hit me, but not that bad.

Sorry I can't resist

Did you get a lip stud put in afterwards? Ya know, it's the popular thing with kids these days, pierce your lip, put a stud in it. ... :laugh:

Hehehe

HickoryNick said:
Now that's what I call rough. I've had chips hit me, but not that bad.

Sorry I can't resist

Did you get a lip stud put in afterwards? Ya know, it's the popular thing with kids these days, pierce your lip, put a stud in it. ... :laugh:

Come to think of it, maybe I should have put a round file through the hole
I think I would look pretttty cool with a nice Husky file handle on it :rockn:

Latest posts

Back