Chainsaw Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well im stuck in a rut right now about saws for cutting wood , Right now I have older still 032AV with only 10 Tanks through it since new , I love the power to weight ratio , and that fact that most of is metal (Body wise) Im running a 20" bar on it right now and It to short after a day of bucking with a 20" my back is done , So Im thinking about running a 24" Bar 3/8Chain on the 034 . Would that bar be to much for the saw I think its a 60'ishCC engine.

Its either that are look into a 361 with a 24" , But its just hard to give up the little a damn good saw.

If you aren't going to cut bigger wood with the bigger bar then it would handle it nearly as well as the current bar. If you are going to try to cut bar deep then it will probably not handle it well.

Yeah if you are still cutting 10" logs the bar length wont matter much.

If you plan on burying the 032 into a 24" seasoned oak then might as well have a seat its gonna take a while

Well im stuck in a rut right now about saws for cutting wood , Right now I have older still 032AV with only 10 Tanks through it since new , I love the power to weight ratio , and that fact that most of is metal (Body wise) Im running a 20" bar on it right now and It to short after a day of bucking with a 20" my back is done , So Im thinking about running a 24" Bar 3/8Chain on the 034 . Would that bar be to much for the saw I think its a 60'ishCC engine.

Its either that are look into a 361 with a 24" , But its just hard to give up the little a damn good saw.

Here's the part that cought my attention. You want a longer bar(Heavier) but your back is already givin ya trouble. Or are you lookin at this from the (Point that you will not have to bend as far?) the 361 would help compinsate for the weight, could run a 24'' bar and you could get a lightend bar to boot. I hear ya on letting go. I've got an 038 with a 24, love it to death, it's just heavyier than my 360pro.:cheers:

Another point that fits right here is the fact most of us carry more than one saw. Choose your weapon by the size of prey.:greenchainsaw:

Maybe with skip??

It seems like most of the time skip chains are only used on 'bigger' saws. Haven't heard of anyone using a skip chain on smaller saws, yet....

But, if a skip has 2/3 the number of teeth, a saw should be able to pull a 50% longer chain with skip.

ie - 20 teeth in the wood with full comp on a 20" bar. So 20 teeth in the wood on a skip chain would be a 30" bar. Right??

Where's Space to check my math??

Dayto - I don't think the saw, bar, whatever is going to help - My backs the same way, it's the angle you have to bend foward to use it - I'm o.k. for a little while, then I find going down on one knee really helps, you can keep your back straight that way. Pain in the butt, no doubt - The "aging process" just sucks. My lower back is worse using a chainsaw than it is running the splitter. At least [now] with the splitter, I can stand up straight. To be 18 again - pricless.

Dayto - I don't think the saw, bar, whatever is going to help - My backs the same way, it's the angle you have to bend foward to use it - I'm o.k. for a little while, then I find going down on one knee really helps, you can keep your back straight that way. Pain in the butt, no doubt - The "aging process" just sucks. My lower back is worse using a chainsaw than it is running the splitter. At least [now] with the splitter, I can stand up straight. To be 18 again - pricless.

No truer words :clap: :cheers:

Another point that fits right here is the fact most of us carry more than one saw. Choose your weapon by the size of prey.:greenchainsaw:

Very true.... I go out to cut firewood I am carrying at least 3 saws with me. (which is all I have at the moment though I have more on the way) Most times anymore though I find myself reaching for the 180 with a 14" bar just because it is easier on my back and I really love the way that PICCO chain cuts. But when I need the larger saws they are there and ready to cut also...

I have a history of back trouble so I thought this out before buying my new 2171.

If I was actually logging and spent a good amount of time limbing the extra bar length would keep me standing straighter more often.
Since I had a professional logger do the dangerous stuff for me (heavy tooooo), I chose a 16" bar because I STILL have to stoop to the occasion with the logs being in the snow no matter what the length of the bar is. 16" is lighter and the chain is cheaper for my usage at this time.

Have to remember to wear the back brace when doing this kind of work and I am OK most days :)

Hope this helps.

wow boy do i know how you feel. im runnin a husky 359 w 20'' bar. my neighbor lost a big oak in the storm last week and i spend my day buckin it. like you said going down on one knee really helps but my back and arms got a work out today. tomarrow i get to back a trailer into the woods and load up and get about two cord out. big stuff to some i cant even get my arms around. tree was dead for a while some is even starting to rot.

Well I fixed my problem today , I just went out and Picked up a 038 AV Magnum 25" Roller tip ... What a nice saw !! Has had a custom muffler installed and sounds great...I dont know to much about these saw but what i read is there a damn good saw ...

Boy, I shoulda done that - Instead of 2 back operations, just buy a new saw! It sure would have been less $$$$$$ - Wouldn't have hurt as bad either! :) Just kidding you - Good luck with the 038, and the back too -

Well I fixed my problem today , I just went out and Picked up a 038 AV Magnum 25" Roller tip ... What a nice saw !! Has had a custom muffler installed and sounds great...I dont know to much about these saw but what i read is there a damn good saw ...

You right, any 038 stihl is a damn good saw. :cheers: If money was no object you should get your hands on a 360pro. You'll really be impressed then. they're lighter still with pretty much the same power.

Latest posts

Back