Chainsaw hibernation: rather important question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidecarflip

Sidecarflip

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
I rarely use my 45 year old Stihl 028 so I'll run it dry until it stops and then choke it and start it again and dry it completely up, put a squirt of Stabil fogging oil in the cylinder, turn it over and drain the bar oil too because Stihl's like to wet the bed when sitting. Bought it new so to me, it's an important saw and I take care of it. Though I use canned gas 99% of the time, regular gas, especially e-gas will harden the diaphragms in the carbs and gunk them up too.

northmanlogging
Dump gas out, leave the oil, run until it dies if you feel like it, otherwise good enough.
If you run good 2 smoke mix it should have stabalizers in it, so worst case the fuel evaporates leaving the oil behind, making it a right bastard to start after a long storage but not impossible, the left over oil will protect the carburetor from corrosion. As for pouring anything into the cylinder? I'm not entirely sure what they intend since 2 strokes already work off of coating everything in oil anyway.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Dump gas out, leave the oil, run until it dies if you feel like it, otherwise good enough.
If you run good 2 smoke mix it should have stabalizers in it, so worst case the fuel evaporates leaving the oil behind, making it a right bastard to start after a long storage but not impossible, the left over oil will protect the carburetor from corrosion. As for pouring anything into the cylinder? I'm not entirely sure what they intend since 2 strokes already work off of coating everything in oil anyway.
Fogging fluid is specifically designed for long term storage of engines. 2 stroke oil fails by comparison. A $5 can of fogging fluid will do multiple saws. Just because it's being coated during operation doesn't mean it's great for storage. Further depending on the base stocks used in the 2 stroke oil they have next to zero protection against moisture and corrosion. I doubt its an issue if your version of long term storage is under a year, and your storage conditions are favorable to a dry climate.

northmanlogging
Fogging fluid is specifically designed for long term storage of engines. 2 stroke oil fails by comparison. A $5 can of fogging fluid will do multiple saws. Just because it's being coated during operation doesn't mean it's great for storage. Further depending on the base stocks used in the 2 stroke oil they have next to zero protection against moisture and corrosion. I doubt its an issue if your version of long term storage is under a year, and your storage conditions are favorable to a dry climate.
sounds like marketing wank to me, i've rebuilt countless saws some submerged, left outside, runned over etc, never ran into a single one that had corroded on the inside
Even big motors only corrode and sieze if lots of moisture get into the cylinders, and they dont really have the same protective film as 2 smoke oils baked into the cylinder walls and piston

lohan808

lohan808

Powersaw addict
I have an older Mac 10-10A that I really don't use often. I fog that one after running it dry. Don't like to risk any cylinder damage as I was fortunate to find an NOS motor to do the rebuild. Now the Stihl saws see a lot more frequent use so in their short storage they get drained, run dry and cleaned out. No problems but they are youngsters compared to the Mac. Being conscientious about saw care is not going to hurt anything but it does take a little extra time.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
sounds like marketing wank to me, i've rebuilt countless saws some submerged, left outside, runned over etc, never ran into a single one that had corroded on the inside
Even big motors only corrode and sieze if lots of moisture get into the cylinders, and they dont really have the same protective film as 2 smoke oils baked into the cylinder walls
Sounds like a case of limited exposure working on engines.

Sidecarflip

Sidecarflip

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
I farm and grow corn, just not the specialized variety distillers want. My corn goes for food production and feed.. Ethanol corn is a specialized variety. I don't know anyone around here that grows it. Reason being, it's contract grown. I can make more jack selling my corn to the local elevator.

What people don't understand is... There is more alcohol producing sugars in the stalks and leaves than in the cob but American farmers for the most part combine the cobs and chisel plow the stalks under. In Europe, the entire plant is harvested, chopped and cooked for corn alcohol. The 'American' way is very inefficient.

Latest posts