Chainsaw Injury to Leg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine came to see me today and said don't you wear chaps when you cut? I said yes and I also wear a helmet with face shield. He rolled up his britches leg showing me a nice row of staples and said: Where can I buy some of those chaps? I laughed and said "Labonville.com
"
After looking at his leg we both agreed he was lucky.
He told me he was limbing and a limb pushed the saw into his leg. he said it was "over in the blink of an eye" and he thought he cut his leg off at first.

For anybody reading this that doesn't have chaps, please think about getting some.
Be careful out there,
Longwood

attachment.php

Super lucky, I would have thought it would have been torn up much worse, that cut is pretty clean.

when i trimmed trees i never wore chaps and i have a couple scars, one on my palm, one on my chest(happened after a storm, clearing broken limbs out of a tree, and one kicked the saw back into me) and one on my knee from a climbing spur, put the darn thing deep under knee cap. thank god i dont climb anymore. been knocked out of 2 trees, one 40 ft up. hard landing, nothing broke. broke collar bone loading sta-bolts. anymore i just take my time . and be careful cutting firewood.

Sorry to here about your friend but it looks like he's going to be OK. I
don't cut without my chaps on. Man if that pic does'nt make some one go out and get chaps I guess nothing will. Not trying to be the PPE police, but mine just make me feel safer, kind of like my seat belt. Just my 2 cents worth.Hope everything works out well for your friend.:givebeer:

He's fine and alot wiser. When he walked up to me I couldn't tell any difference til he rolled up his pants leg.

Last edited:
I didnt think chaps were really necessary and that my carhart bibs would save me. Then I started hanging out on AS and saw the "ham bone video"

I have chaps now. :cheers: I think it is crazy to work with a saw without them.:clap:

autograph

If you had a cast I'd ask to sign it... Since ya don't, I reckon that'd burn, lol...

:cheers:

Chaps?????

Who needs em???????

Anybody who uses a saw should wear them,,,,

Heres my old pair,,,, that saved me from a cut in nearly the same spot as the one in the 1st post!!!!!!! Made a believer out of me,,,, I was limbing some pine logs and got in a hurry,,,,, Good thing I had them on,,,, it locked up the saw dead in its tracks and I was unhurt other than my Pride,,,, I had to chunk that saw temporarily and pick up another to finish before the skidsteer operator got there,,,,,

attachment.php

Ham bone video

I hope this link works if not go to the thread Engtex vs. Kevlar post number 8.

This is all it took for me.

The above is a link to a video that got me off my azz and I ordered the Labonville chaps that day. Got the chaps in 2 days, and have worn them ever since. Your buddy was lucky. As I wrote on a couple of other threads like this I to have been very lucky. I slipped years ago, I cut my jeans, and my long johns, and left a scratch on my leg that just turned red and didn't leak. Thanks to AS I found out about chaps, and looking at sponsor sites I found out about Labonville. I'm sure that Stihl and Husky and others make good chaps, I just liked the Labonville the best. I never used to use any PPE except sometimes hearing protection. Now I have the helmet with visor and hearing protection, and the chaps. AS and more importantly the members here are to be credited for that, also they are resposnible for me having 6 chainsaws now. JR PS I just tried to use the link and it won't work, so go to the search and find it.

Hmm.... I'm starting to think that this 'young and invincible' thing might not pan out....

I'll definately be buying some before I cut again. Thanks for the wake up call.

Hmm.... I'm starting to think that this 'young and invincible' thing might not pan out....

I'll definately be buying some before I cut again. Thanks for the wake up call.

kinda feelin the same way here too!!

When I bashed my head open years ago, they trimmed all the mangled flesh off before sewing it together to get a good neat seam like that. That might have been the case here also.

Ian

Back