Chainsaw lifecycle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Line State

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago my 1989 F150 stopped running because the computer which controlled the engine stopped working. This is when I found out Ford no longer produced parts for my truck because it was over 20 years old. I found out a 20 year life cycle is common in the auto industry. Luckily there was a company in Pennsylvania which either built or refurbished computers for 302CID/5.0L and the truck is now running. So I know for some manufactures parts/support will be provided for x number of years. Other manufactures provide parts/support for the present generation and one to two generations back. Going through the threads on this site I often see buy used. While I think it would be fun to have a classic (chainsaw, car, truck, tractor, weapon etc) to use/work on I lack the time or funds. While I am not actively looking I have been thinking a backup saw at the right price might be nice. What is a chainsaw manufactures lifecycle? What saws in the 50cc-80cc range would have dealer parts/support?

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb, And say, Almost ANY STIHL saw from the 80's (like 026, 038, 044, 066, 088, 084 etc..) that is a Professional saw, Has aftermarket and part support. All the MS's as well, (again, All the saws i'm talking about from the 80's gotta be professional series),

Goodluck,

The 20 year parts thing is universal with most all auto/truck makers.
(actually I think they are mandated by law to offer stock parts for 20 yrs.)
That's where the 'aftermarket'...parts guys kick in...there is almost
no part that can "just not be found" for most any vehicle.

As for chain saws...I have read that the major manufacturers have
listed about 1500 hours as general life expectancy.
Pro saw MAY be longer???....I dunno...
But lots of parts for the Pro line of saws at least to the early '80's

You can usually find most parts for Stihl (and maybe Husky??)
that are the most common to wear out and that would/could
go back for quite a number years more than 20 yrs.

There's lots of NOS parts out there...just sometimes hard to find
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
While I am not actively looking I have been thinking a backup saw at the right price might be nice.

What saws in the 50cc-80cc range would have dealer parts/support?

Pro Series Stihls should still be serviceable by a dealer although the dealer or you might have to find some parts outside of corporate Stihl for older saws. If you are willing to do your own servicing and you have spare time, there are plenty of choices for a backup saw. Other than my Stihl 036Pro, all of my work saws are mid 70s to mid 80s vintage. At least for McCullochs, most parts are available if you look for them and there are a lot of NOS parts. But in my locality, no shop wants to work on them for fear they make break something that they can't economicallly replace (they can't afford having someone on their payroll spend several hours to find a $10 part). One big plus with McCullochs for the DIY guy is the vast interchangability of parts between different models. Ron

Thankfully, up untill recently, saws were devoid of the tinkerbell gadgets that cause "end of life cycle" issues.

Just hard parts.

Now that Stihl and Husky both are incorporating the electonic trash into some models, it might be wise to have one or two older saws that do not have a "End of life cycle".
Stupid smarty phones snich out your location, and the Stihl gizmos will likely snitch if ya do a Muff mod.

Stay safe!
Dingeroyte

I wish I owned a saw that was newer than 20 years old.......

Trade you a Husky 350 for an complete older McCulloch of at least 80cc... or better yet, complete parts 790...

I can finish the assembly of the Husky and once it runs, and proves itself, we can commence a trade then... It was made in 2000 IIRC...

Or am I too much of an assclown to even bother with? :msp_unsure:

ok,,i have to ask a question then myself,, since my 361 only has about 5-6 hours on it at teh most and i cut 3-5 cords a year or less then how long will it last me if expectancy is about 1500 hours?????

ok,,i have to ask a question then myself,, since my 361 only has about 5-6 hours on it at teh most and i cut 3-5 cords a year or less then how long will it last me if expectancy is about 1500 hours?????

Buy a piston kit and stash it.
That way your grandkids wont have to scrounge in 50 years.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A couple of years ago my 1989 F150 stopped running because the computer which controlled the engine stopped working. This is when I found out Ford no longer produced parts for my truck because it was over 20 years old. I found out a 20 year life cycle is common in the auto industry. Luckily there was a company in Pennsylvania which either built or refurbished computers for 302CID/5.0L and the truck is now running. So I know for some manufactures parts/support will be provided for x number of years. Other manufactures provide parts/support for the present generation and one to two generations back. Going through the threads on this site I often see buy used. While I think it would be fun to have a classic (chainsaw, car, truck, tractor, weapon etc) to use/work on I lack the time or funds. While I am not actively looking I have been thinking a backup saw at the right price might be nice. What is a chainsaw manufactures lifecycle? What saws in the 50cc-80cc range would have dealer parts/support?

I also have a 1989 ford F-150 with a 302 in it and also had to send the ecm to a rebuilder in Calif. Just so it would through a code and tell me what was wrong with it.It has 279,000 on it.been a good truck.

I had the same issue with a 302 I owned I didnt want to send the ecm out not knowing if it wouldnt work or not they couldnt garantee it so I put a carb and it and sold it.

Every life breath is in 2 strokes. Intake and fire and then Exhaust.....unless someone forgets to add some lube to the cool-aide!

American saws

Pro Series Stihls should still be serviceable by a dealer although the dealer or you might have to find some parts outside of corporate Stihl for older saws. If you are willing to do your own servicing and you have spare time, there are plenty of choices for a backup saw. Other than my Stihl 036Pro, all of my work saws are mid 70s to mid 80s vintage. At least for McCullochs, most parts are available if you look for them and there are a lot of NOS parts. But in my locality, no shop wants to work on them for fear they make break something that they can't economicallly replace (they can't afford having someone on their payroll spend several hours to find a $10 part). One big plus with McCullochs for the DIY guy is the vast interchangability of parts between different models. Ron

Interesting the comment about the McCullochs. I was thinking since all the American saw manufacturers don't really exist they might not be a good choice as a backup saw due to no parts. Can parts also be easily found for Poulan and Homelite? Is there a brand to stay away from?

Interesting the comment about the McCullochs. I was thinking since all the American saw manufacturers don't really exist they might not be a good choice as a backup saw due to no parts. Can parts also be easily found for Poulan and Homelite? Is there a brand to stay away from?

Both Homelite and McCulloch made millions of saws, many were variants on the same frame. As Ron stated, basic parts interchange, there lots of parts for the more common models.

I believe the life expectancy of a saw in regards to OEM parts availability varies widely. A saw manufacturer will continue to make OEM parts available as long as there is a money making demand . A manufacturer with an extensive dealer network will receive orders from the dealers for OEM parts and consequently know the demand. If the dealer can fix a customers saw in short time with OEM parts, the customer is happy and the dealer stays in business, regardless how old the saw may be. For this very reason it is wise to buy a saw from a manufacturer with a good dealer network. I can name on one hand only, the manufactures that can accomplish this (you know who they are).

It sounds like the safest bet is pro Husqvarna & Stihl. The Poulans, Macs, and Homelites are ok because of the numbers built but it could be hit or miss if a shop will work on them. What about Dolmars, Echos, Efcos, Solos and Poulan Pro? I am thinking stay away because of the lack of numbers built (hard to find parts) and/or little to no dealer support.

When did manufacturers start using AV? I received some Stihl model numbers what about any other brands? Is there any rymme or reason to any of the manufacturers model numbers?

Latest posts

Back