Chainsaw ministry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blondie spotted the trailer in our end of town and I just had to investigate.

attachment.php

Volunteers clean up storm damage.

Well equiped trailer w/saws, generator, weed wackers etc.. All Stihl machines. Largest is MS441.

Always wanted to get involved with something like that, but you have to be a credentialed member of their faith to participate.

Look into your local C.E.R.T. team. My wife and I have joined here and should be finishing up the classes soon.

I, too, Belong to a CERT team here. They have been activated to assist in Oklahoma and are due to be there on the 1st. Don't know yet if I can go. Work and all that stuff. :msp_angry: Plus things are really tight as far as gasoline goes. Can't really afford the gas bill to get there and back.

:cheers: I'm hoping that I don't get stuck running the comms room. A few of us in the class are licensed for amature radio, most are not. Definitely not looking forward to having to use the training in a real callout.

Any idea what your team is going to be doing? General damage assessment?

I, too, Belong to a CERT team here. They have been activated to assist in Oklahoma and are due to be there on the 1st. Don't know yet if I can go. Work and all that stuff. :msp_angry: Plus things are really tight as far as gasoline goes. Can't really afford the gas bill to get there and back.

Here, the fuel has dropped from 89.9 to 71.9 in just the past five days.

Blondie spotted the trailer in our end of town and I just had to investigate.

attachment.php

Volunteers clean up storm damage.

Well equiped trailer w/saws, generator, weed wackers etc.. All Stihl machines. Largest is MS441.

How come I can't see the picture? All I see is a white box with a red X. Any ideas? No, I am not on anything :msp_smile:

Two people from my CERT class went to bastrop with either the red cross or some other organization that I can't remember the name of.

Not sure what they will be doing yet. They have a portable command center they will probably be taking down there. I am listed as a chainsaw operator. I helped out at Joplin, Mo 2 years ago on 2 different occassions. First time was a few days after it happened and was looking for missing persons. Basically was given some addresses and went to the general location of them and asked anybody that was around if they new or had seen or new of their whereabouts. Amazingly that worked out very well. We were able to verify everyone on our list. Unfortunatly we discovered that 1 had perished in the storm trying to get home. That was kind of hard. The second time I went down we spent the day picking up trash and junk from an older gentlemans 20 acre field. You would pick up what looked like a splintered piece of 2x4 and wind up pulling a piece 3 feet long stuck in the ground. And the whole area smelled different. Not bad stink type smell but just different. I guess that's what destruction smells like. I know I will never forget it. But no chainsaw duty.
Then I went and helped at Branson, Mo February 2012 for 2 days. Lots of chainsaw duty there. I remember cutting at an elderly ladies house. Her house was located on a bluff overlooking the city and standing in her front yard her house looked fine. Then when you walked in the front door the entire back of the house was gone. I'm guessing that by next week or 2 there will not be much chainsaw duty left.

Does anyone know of a chainsaw disaster response team that is non-denominational? While I believe in the Almighty, I also believe there are some who are not a member of any church. (I fall into this catagory.) While I am a CERT member, they don't really concentrate on the chainsaw response idea, at least in this area. I don't mean to disrespect them, they are very good at what they do and can mobilize a large group of volunteers. I would be interested in an organized group that is dedicated to the disaster response involving chainsaws. A group that has the training needed to do the job safely. It's not just a matter of a bunch of people going gung-ho after a bunch of storm damaged trees. There are a lot of safety matters involved. Downed power lines, Identifying stresses in downed timber and proper techniques to deal with it. Chainsaw safety, first aid for chainsaw injuries, other equipment that is available and would be nice to have, etc. Any Ideas?

I work with a number of disaster response groups.

If you want to work with a certain faith, start with your local congregation and ask what organizations (local, regional, or national) they might affiliate with.
If you want to work in your community, contact your county Emergency Manager, Sheriff, or local Fire Chief and ask about CERT type programs.
If you want to do a specific task (chainsaw, pet rescue, ham radio) you might need to do some Internet searches to find the right groups/contacts.

The National chapter of Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD) VOAD Network is "an organization of organizations" that do this type of work and can be a good place to start. Most states have VOAD organizations to coordinate efforts, although, they are sometimes called something else.

* Chainsaws make some people and Emergency Managers nervous, so despite what experience you know you have, some storm clean up groups are a bit cautious about new guys until they know what type of experience you have, your work practices, risk taking, etc. *

I 'have' some volunteers now working in the Moore and Shawnee, OK area doing storm clean up (not all chainsaw) and in NYC doing Hurricane Sandy rebuilding if people are interested. It is a faith based group that does not care what your religious beliefs are, as long as you are there to help. They do not ask about the faiths of the victims, only if they need help. PM me if you would like some contact information.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back