Chainsaw NDE's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt J Leppek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may be the wrong thread, but im curious to hear people nearest death experience with chainsaw and what you learned from it. Mine was just a couple weeks ago, was cutting some good size popple, 18-20inches in diameter, and i got one hung up. Used another popple close to it to knock it down. Well it was a little to close, and the hinge point was to close to the base of the second popple to knock the first one down, and the trunk kicked up and the tree pivoted sideways-straight towards my head. :censored: I put my arms up to block my face (kinda like a fighting stance) and jump back like a damn rabbit...by the grace of god there was a maple tree, maybe 6 or 7 inches in diameter right next to me and it stopped the popple not even a foot away. I then preceded to kiss the ground and thank the lord :cry: Moral of the story for me, WAKE UP. :dizzy:

But i lived...now to get some revenge on them trees :rock:

But i lived...now to get some revenge on them trees :rock:

Don't blame dem trees, dey's only defendin' demselves.

But I'm glad you're OK.

Always have more than one escape route open, and if it involves ducking behind a tree, consider the possibility that that tree may come down, too!

HF

Don't blame dem trees, dey's only defendin' demselves.

But I'm glad you're OK.

Always have more than one escape route open, and if it involves ducking behind a tree, consider the possibility that that tree may come down, too!

HF

Thanks, and I do have escape routes made, I was just to concentrated on watching if the tree would knock the other down or not, and that was my big mistake

I have a massive Douglas Fir tree in the backyard, and about 15 years ago I had to take down a branch about 10-12 feet up that had partially broken in a storm. Didn't want it falling on the kids or anything, all I had to work with at the time was an extension ladder and a little Mini Mac chain saw. Just as I finished my cut, the ladder shifted just a little but it threw me backward off balance, just past that tipping point where you just know you can't recover. Grabbing the ladder would have only brought it down on top of me (plus I was still holding the saw), so I managed to sort of twist around quickly and jumped off the ladder, so I could at least try to land feet first and see where I would be splatting onto the earth. As I was executing this brilliant maneuver, it crossed my mind that I probably did not want to land with the still-running chain saw in my hands - so in midair I threw as hard as I could. That little saw landed across the yard and I hit the ground and rolled, luckily no worse for the wear. I've since added a pole saw to the tool shed.

Isn't it amazing what you have time to think about and do in what is actually only a moment?

I have a massive Douglas Fir tree in the backyard, and about 15 years ago I had to take down a branch about 10-12 feet up that had partially broken in a storm. Didn't want it falling on the kids or anything, all I had to work with at the time was an extension ladder and a little Mini Mac chain saw. Just as I finished my cut, the ladder shifted just a little but it threw me backward off balance, just past that tipping point where you just know you can't recover. Grabbing the ladder would have only brought it down on top of me (plus I was still holding the saw), so I managed to sort of twist around quickly and jumped off the ladder, so I could at least try to land feet first and see where I would be splatting onto the earth. As I was executing this brilliant maneuver, it crossed my mind that I probably did not want to land with the still-running chain saw in my hands - so in midair I threw as hard as I could. That little saw landed across the yard and I hit the ground and rolled, luckily no worse for the wear. I've since added a pole saw to the tool shed.

good reflexes...and good idea adding the pole saw to your stable! maybe you should add one of those little giant ladder systems to, my uncle has one and its crazy sturdy

Back in my 20s I was out getting firewood with my sandvik bowsaw and axe. I would get big downfall branches and small standing dead trees then skid them out by hand down packed snow trails and do the final bucking and splitting at my cabin I had then. Felled a small tree (yellow birch IIRC) and was cutting it into human skiddable log lengths when all of a sudden I got just terrified nervous spooked. I didn't see or hear anything, just a feeling of doom and dread. So much so I dropped the saw and ran about 15- 20 feet or so and looked around . WHOMP a big widow maker I never saw landed right where I had been standing, definitely big enough to have smashed me flat. Never saw it at all, didn't hear any creaking or anything, not consciously anyway.

guardian angel action is all I can say, and with my quite humbled thanks.

4-5 years ago I was cutting in a tornado induced maze. I cut a 3"-4" branch when it let go it flew by my right leg so fast I couldn't see it, it was a blur it brushed my chaps. A little closer it would have broken my leg if it didn't just rip it off.

4-5 years ago I was cutting in a tornado induced maze. I cut a 3"-4" branch when it let go it flew by my right leg so fast I couldn't see it, it was a blur it brushed my chaps. A little closer it would have broken my leg if it didn't just rip it off.

Same exact thing happened to me last summer!

Isn't it amazing what you have time to think about and do in what is actually only a moment?

What gets me is that split second you get before and after a catastrophe when you know for sure you can't do this-then you do it-then think, " wish I wouldn't have one that" . How come we are never as highly cognizant of any other split second in life?

wearing a black eye today because of a little thorn apple limb that flew up and got me.Coulda been worse.By the way,is there a popple tree,or did you mean poplar?Not bein a smart a$$,just wonderin.I know there are species of trees in other parts of the country Ive never heard of

wearing a black eye today because of a little thorn apple limb that flew up and got me.Coulda been worse.By the way,is there a popple tree,or did you mean poplar?Not bein a smart a$$,just wonderin.I know there are species of trees in other parts of the country Ive never heard of

Here in Michigan Aspen is also known as popple.

My dad, an old NH Yankee, calls poplars popples. Maybe the same is true in MI. Sort of like the people that type proly instead of probably.

Latest posts

Back