Chainsaw protective pants for lefty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l4ff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hy guys! I just saw that i have a problem using my chainsaw (left handed). The problem is when i end cut ( doing 4 feet softwood) in the rest position, that bar and chain is awful close to my right thigh and when i end a cut the blade sometimes still run... The problem is my chainsaw pants are not protect me above the waist where the pockets are... I have hit my pants yesterday on this unprotected zone and was lucky the chainsaw doesnt run fast when it did... it has pass through the 2 layers of the pants and the first layer of the pocket... I think i was lucky doenst get hurt... This never happen with my old chainsaw but with my new dolmar 5105 i think the setup of the handle is different than my stihl 026 wich i never hit my tigh with in a lot of years uses... By the way i really like the dolmar 5105 a very torky saw and also great sounding :) . So now looking for solution to replace my pants with some with protective pad as high as possible. Also want to know if you lefty guys have any other tricks or something can be added to the saw to avoid getting hurt by this really close blade when on rest after a cut? Thx a lot guys very nice forum!

If your technique allows you to hit your pants, even once, you need to change your technique. Do you run your saw with your left hand on the trigger? If so, some training might be in order to switch it around. I've run saws left handed while falling, but never bucking.

Not really a solution when limbing and cutting softwood witch are not 100% fallen

Yes left hand on the trigger, always.... i have tried right hand on the trigger but really not comfortable with that and it is more dangerous than actually doing it with left hand

Not really a solution when limbing and cutting softwood witch are not 100% fallen
How do you limb and cut wood not 100% fallen? I'm not sure what you are describing. What do you mean "end cut in the rest position"?

In my book it's either fallen or not. Blowdowns are the only thing that might be on the ground but not considered fallen. In that case my first cut is always to remove the stump, not to limb it connected...

Regardless, I agree with AKDoug. If your resting your chain on your body anytime you are really putting yourself at risk. Applying the brake any time your not in the cut is one way to protect yourself. Sounds like you need to reevaluate your body positioning.

Honestly, I really can't get a picture, just what you're doing out there, l4ff. Beyond my limited comprehension. Well, I'm not a lefty either.

Could you please insert a cutting vid of you on here? I mean, you got me curious. I suppose I'm not the only one.

Had some chaps many years ago where as the kevlar bit went from waist to ankle, so rather then the pants perhaps chaps would be better?

Otherwise figure out how to run the damn thing right handed, or stop setting it on your leg.

I get that wrong/left handed folks have trouble using right handed tools, but this is a situation where your going to have to figure it out.

I can run mine right or wrong handed, wrong handed is odd but doable, its not however very safe.

Several problems with running left-hand on the trigger. One being the position of the saw if it kicks back.

Some guys on this site will be shocked to hear me say this, but chaps should be your last line of defense, not something you rely on to cover problems with your methods or technique.

Those points aside, you can try to find 'skidder chaps'*, which are designed more like overalls, and may have protective material that goes higher. You can also purchase jackets* with protective material, which hopefully, will overlap your chaps.

Philbert

EDIT* check to see what the protective material covers in any garment - it often covers only a portion of garment.

Several problems with running left-hand on the trigger. One being the position of the saw if it kicks back.

Some guys on this site will be shocked to hear me say this, but chaps should be your last line of defense, not something you rely on to cover problems with your methods or technique.

Philbert

Ok, just take your saw with your right hand with left hand on the trigger... you will see as soon a you finished to clearing little trees your saw will go to your right side...i think this is the problem because the blade come really close to my leg, if you using the saw with right hand on the throttle,left hand on handle, your saw will go left side and you will be protected by the powerhead due to the distance from the blade... ive tested right hand throttle again today during 4 hour clearing and really not comfortable to go that way... How are you lefty operate your saw?

Ok, just take your saw with your right hand with left hand on the trigger... you will see as soon a you finished to clearing little trees your saw will go to your right side...i think this is the problem because " (the blade come really close to my leg, if you using the saw with right hand on the throttle,left hand on handle, your saw will go left side and you will be protected by the powerhead due to the distance from the blade)" ... ive tested right hand throttle again today during 4 hour clearing and really not comfortable to go that way... How are you lefty operate your saw?
" (the blade come really close to my leg, if you using the saw with right hand on the throttle,left hand on handle, your saw will go left side and you will be protected by the powerhead due to the distance from the blade)"
?? now that is an eye opening statement! I just wonder how many of us have really ever given it a second thought as to the close calles we have had ? power head vrs. chain guard on the leg with out a ? even the most experienced saw handler, can learn something new!

"Don't cut faster than you can think....some old logger"
Gologit
.Know learn & be aware of this at All times.
You might be shutting the 'Grey Matter' down a bit before the saw or pushing against fatigue.
Granted being a south paw is an handicap
and going to have to develop. .. rethink / relearn habits /
Practice's

" (the blade come really close to my leg, if you using the saw with right hand on the throttle,left hand on handle, your saw will go left side and you will be protected by the powerhead due to the distance from the blade)"
?? now that is an eye opening statement! I just wonder how many of us have really ever given it a second thought as to the close calles we have had ? power head vrs. chain guard on the leg with out a ? even the most experienced saw handler, can learn something new!
What an idiot??? Try to write letter with your left hand when your right handed,,,, stupid comment

Thx for all the comments by the way and still looking for imputs against chainsaw trousers

Back