Chainsaw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i know this is the firewood forum, but i noticed that almost everyone here has 3 or more chainsaws...just wondering why??? thanks! :biggrinbounce2:

An addiction. Always want the right tool for the job. Using saws to mill lumber. Having more money than sense. Saws are used as a source of income. Left two saws alone in the garage one weekend.

There are lots of reasons. It never hurts to have a second saw as a backup saw, but beyond that I think that for most folks the right tool for the job rationale is the strongest motivator. There's no need for a 17lb 90cc saw when you're trimming your apple trees, just as a 9lb 40cc saw has no business blocking up 30" hardwood. So if you own two or three saws (the Three Saw Plan!), then you never have to ask the machine to do a job for which it is not properly suited.

I need a saw for bucking firewood and felling trees. Got it. That's one.

I need a saw for limbing and trimming. Got it. That's two.

I really need a bigger saw for bucking. My current saw is 52 ccs. I'd like to get something in the 65 to 75 cc range for my bigger pieces. Most of my wood comes from a log processor, and it's butt ends, crotches, and other stuff that is waste to him. 30 to 40 inch oak rounds are common. That's a bit big for a 52cc saw. It can be done, but it's got to be hard on the saw.

I'd like to do some milling someday, too, and again, the 52 cc is a little light for that.

Now, I know some folks are more creative than I am at justifying saw expenses :D , but then, maybe theyv'e got more money. Mine are justified on a tight budget and genuine NEED, as opposed to the completely understandable WANNA HAVE ANOTHER ONE basis. ;)

Oh, in the interests of full disclosure, I DO have 3 saws. I was given a non-running Shindaiwa 577, which at 57 ccs, is too small to fill the need for a bigger saw. I plan to fix it, and we'll see from there what I do with it.

Last edited:
I used to be a 60CC does everything kind of guy until I started to ache more when I wake up, 50 and plus disease I think? Plus reading the comments from the saw nuts on here didn't help anything. Some of my saws are pure toys but I could get by with my 370 Echo, the old 036 and my 660 quite nicely if need be.

I ended up just collecting saws from trades, and good deals I couldn't pass up. I've got five saws now and would like to go with the three saw plan, but it is nice to have choices for the job at hand. In addition, I've got two toddler boys and they are going to need a saw when they get older to help me with the fire wood. If your cut a lot of wood you always need a spare or two. Even with 5 saws, I'm still looking to get a Husky 375 or Sthil 044 to make quick work of the larger trees.

Sthil 012
Husky 257

As far as everyday use I really just have one saw. The other two I got in an OPE lot. I figure one for me, and one each for the wife and son, right?:laugh: I don't want anyone to feel left out.

Now, I know some folks are more creative than I am at justifying saw expenses :D , but then, maybe theyv'e got more money. Mine are justified on a tight budget and genuine NEED, as opposed to the completely understandable WANNA HAVE ANOTHER ONE basis. ;)

Basically the same for me.

The Olympyk for bucking (and felling when available) bigger wood - which will be replaced by the 044 when it gets done, and the 260 for limbing and smaller wood. I might replace the Olympyk with a tiny saw (30cc class) for trimming, rough lumber cutting etc...actually, the 260 would work for these purposes...but...;)

Kevin

Bookmark this thread so you can look back at it after you catch the disease.

Me, in order of acqusition:

Had a Jonsered 525 for 20 years. Worked for everything. Still does.
Got a Husky 41 for $20.00. Couldn't turn it down.
Joined AS
Wanted one more saw, my wife gave me a Jonsered 2150 for my birthday.
Wanted a small saw to replace the 41. Bought a MS180 The 41 still works.
Bought a Husky 350 for $100. Couldn't turn it down.
Wanted a big saw. Bought a MS460.
Bought a broken MS290 for cheap and fixed it up.
Bought an MS361 because everyone on AS said I had to!

Also bought a Salsco 824 chipper. I have a lot of brush to chip!

They all might not be a "need", but they all get used.
There are a couple saws I can live without but they're not worth selling.

jim

Last edited:
the saw addiction started when I started milling. My hobby used to be woodworking, for the last 10 years its been my living, so getting old saws running became a hobby. I keep the ones I like best, and trade or sell the rest. I heat with wood, mill the wood for my furniture, and generally clean my 30 acres with my saws. The huskys are for the days I am not playing, the serious work needs to be done. All the others are for the days I'm cutting, but not in a hurry.

Sounds like the wife got on here!!!

Started out with a Shindaiwa 500. It was getting a bit long in the tooth so I bought a used 488. The 500 broke and then I decided I needed a little saw to pack in the truck during hunting season as we often have wind storms and downed trees to deal with. That's why I got the 360. The 360 turned out to be a bit too small for the intended purpose but I picked up a used 757 to handle anything I couldn't with my other saws. Found another 488 on e-bay, put in a bid of $75 and wound up getting it for $69. Now it can be my hunting saw. All the Homelites were given to me so they don't count.

For me 3+ is just fun. I always say you need at least 2 saws. If you only have 1 saw sooner or later you are going to get it pinched....and then your SOL.

Really no excuse. I only cut firewood for my cabin. But at the point in my life where I want a saw to cut a 24in fir without bogging!!! Then get it. My 044 is close!!
But more is better!!! But at the right price, I will wait and find a used 066 or more to try!!! You are only here once, and nobody gets out alive!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

3 is about right.

maybe for me, 1 to many.

I started out with junk, eventually I was allowed to run a "real saw" The 041 Stihl. That was it, I am hooked. I ran that 041 for quite a few years. Then due to circumstances a tree landed on it (not my doin'). I got pissed and got a MS460. I like it, but then I needed something a bit smaller for limbing, etc. The MS260 sounded about right for that. In fact it is perfect for the job.

Next I start to wonder if maybe a 440 would be better than the 460. That ended up with me getting Brad's rebuilt 440 with Ecca's parts in it.
Runs like a watch. And yes, the lighter package is better. I ran over 1 tank today no problem. It limbs, it bucks, it cuts.

Oh, I guess there is another saw in the stable. The Weapon. I start the Remmington about once a year just to remind me that the old cutters were "T"ough. I am a wimp. The SL5 works me in about 30 minutes :chainsaw:

Yep, all I cut is firewood.

-Pat

Let's see. I started in 1776 with my old man's 24" Homey (dont' recall the number). Add a little bitty homey 12" for pruning. Both Homey's gave up the ghost (both were well worn to start with). New Homey 460 in about 1978. Blew up when it ingested the electrode from the spark plug (1986). Replaced with a pull-on 4000 (piece of crap!). Added a Johnyred 625 basked case froma logger in Canada. Great Saw!. Replaced all of prior with the current stable.

Husky 51 16" for limbing and small bucking.

MS310 most bucking

Stihl 041 24" for the bigger stuff (I need to get a bigger saw for that job, one with a 28 or 30" bar would be about right).

I never go out with just one saw. Been awhile since that saved me but I was out Wednesday clearing an old burn. Had three trees (willow) that had grown up a few feet and the basically horizontal from there (about 24" DBH). Managed to pinch the 310 twice. Very glad to have had the 51 along to salvage the day.

Harry K

Yup.. you need 2 saws, a backup in case you get one pinched and have to cut it out.....
Then you might want a big milling saw....
And a nice light weight one for pruning and limbing...

OK, thats 4, who is gonna notice another one or 2...

After that you are a saw collector, admit it and just carry on. :laugh:

Cheers

Ian

thanks all, i am new to this...just cutting firewood for our home. have an echo cs4400, and it is working fine for what i need it for...so far :laugh:

Back