Chainsaw Recomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a McCulloch Pro Mac 610 that I bought new in '88 or '89. Its in the original Mac hard case, I have the paperwork, original 20" bar and chains, plus a new 16" bar and chains. I put a new oil pump in it last fall and haven't run it since. It runs great, but has never seen much use, and now just sits on the shelf in its case. If you might be interested, PM me and we'll discuss the details, but certainly well within your $ range, shipped.

JD and Stihl

Are these gonna be green and yellar Stihls or will more JD dealers just be taking on the Stihl line? One of the two JD dealers here has been a stihl dealer for some time, the other not.

Just curious, I'm a red guy if it's got wheels on it, got two Stihls but sure not gonna buy a green one just to keep up with the Joneses!

My JD dealer is a Husky dealer and will be taking on the Stihl line as well:clap:
more saws more choices more service! I like Stihl's gloves and PPE stuff better. As far as saws I run Huskys, like to use the same chains on all saws.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and suggestion about what chainsaw to buy. You guys talked me out of buying a cheapo from sears. I ended buying the John deere CS 56 from J&D Equipment. I think it was a pretty good deal at $300.00. I will try it out today.

Brian

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and suggestion about what chainsaw to buy. You guys talked me out of buying a cheapo from sears. I ended buying the John deere CS 56 from J&D Equipment. I think it was a pretty good deal at $300.00. I will try it out today.

Brian

Well, were waiting!?:dizzy:

my 2 cents? DONT SKIMP ON THE SAW.... you are going to be spending alot of quality time with this tool ... the better the saw the efficient you will be with your time.. how much is your time worth? if you were to bump up your saw budget I am sure you would have more to choose from.. and like others said at $400 you get into some real nice gear... it will most likely be a one time purchase... not a repeat every couple of years. your cost of ownership drops each your you have the same saw. so the more expensive my in fact be the cheapest saw in the long run especially if it saves you time. and remember time is $$$$

That CS56 should serve you well. Very comparable to the MS290 and Husky 455 in terms of power. If you need to look for parts, look to see if you have an Efco dealer in your area.

And . . . ?? C'mon!:chainsaw:

-WSJ

Take a trip to u`r local Stihl/Husky dealer, advise him/her what u`r needs/ price range are. Many times you`ll find good used Chainsaw that the dealer has checked out/refurbished . A used chainsaw bought from a dealer,"for me anyway", gives peace of mind.

Good luck

Brian

Good move! :cheers:

The saw ran great. It started right up and had plenty of power. I had to mess with the oiler a bit to get that to work right and I also took the anti kick-back gaurd off of the tip of the bar. I am very pleased and glad I went with the CS56 instead of the CS46.

That 56cc saw was definitely a better choice than any of the smaller ones. I hope it does well for you.

Latest posts

Back