Chainsaw Safety?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you've set up to cut, ask yourself:

"What will happen if this goes wrong?"
Where will the chainsaw go, where will the cut piece of timber go, followthrough, kickback?
Adjust your stance, saw position or cut sequence if any answer leads to you getting hit or cut by the saw or timber!

Sometimes the asking, answering and adjusting takes way less than 10 seconds, but it may save life and limb (yours)

Ditto the others about fatigue, the last hour of the last day on the last job....
I have stopped a job before finishing because I was tired and getting sloppy, there is always another day to finish.

Most manuals I have read say not to cut when you are sick, tired or impaired... RE: the barnose. I thought it was OK for an experienced sawyer to cut with the bar nose, knowing that there is an extreme risl of kickback. I don't know how I'd do a bore cut without using that aforementioned 1/4" of the bar. The bore cuts were how I got by with the 025 and an 18" for a long time. Since I have the bow bar now, I no longer do bore cuts...don't need to unless I get into some real big wood. I used to do them often during bucking. Never had a kickback or unsafe situation. Once in awhile I could feel the saw react mildly, the "chatter" that indicates an increased reactive force and potential for kickback, pushback or pull-in.

Diesel JD said:
Most manuals I have read say not to cut when you are sick, tired or impaired... RE: the barnose. I thought it was OK for an experienced sawyer to cut with the bar nose, knowing that there is an extreme risl of kickback. I don't know how I'd do a bore cut without using that aforementioned 1/4" of the bar. The bore cuts were how I got by with the 025 and an 18" for a long time. Since I have the bow bar now, I no longer do bore cuts...don't need to unless I get into some real big wood. I used to do them often during bucking. Never had a kickback or unsafe situation. Once in awhile I could feel the saw react mildly, the "chatter" that indicates an increased reactive force and potential for kickback, pushback or pull-in.

Well I guess that goes to show how many manuals I've read at all! :laugh:

RE: The bore cut. I'll start a bore cut with the lower quadrant of the nose, which is perfectly safe, and once I get in, I may shift the saw's angle, but I'll always keep in mind where that top quadrant is.

Back