Chainsaw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auswoodcutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like some opinions on a new chainsaw selection. I currently own a 051 Stihl chainsaw and am looking to get a new chainsaw. My dealer has recommend a 395xp Husky, to replace the 051, but my old man reckons that they are high reving s.o.b. I have compared the 395 to a Stihl 660 magnum but have never used either. I was hoping someone may be able to help me out in the selction. I have also looked athe Stihl 880 and the Husky 3120, but reckon that these may be too big for my needs. I cut a fair bit of firewood, mainly yellow box and grey box, (aussie Eucalypts (fairly hard)). I like to get big sized timber that doesnt burn away too quickly as i am not home to keep topping it up. Hope this gives a bit of insight and look forward to some answers

395/660 are both a lot of saw to carry around. Less weight than an 051 though...

Does the 051 still run OK? Are you after a similar saw or an additional saw that fills a slightly different role?

the 051 still runs ok have had it to mechanic for a little bit of a tune up, new gaskets and new cut out switch. Have had trouble starting though, thought it was a fuel/carburettor problem but was just the switch. Would run sometimes and not others. Switch fixed that.

The new saw would be a replacement for the 051, old man said he would buy it off me to do what he needs, small amount of firewood, as he has an alternate heat source in his house and wood fire is for asthetics only.

My dealer said that the 660/395 would be a good replacement saw for the 051 as the 051 was a bit down on engine size compared to the 660/395, it would probably be similar hp to the 660/395 and torque i dont know?

I dont mind using the bigger saws as they can handle the large bars better from what i understand and when you need the extra grunt its there

hope this helps sawn

051 should have more torque than saws built today.

New saws run much faster, and given a light touch cut faster too.

Eucalypts are all there is to cut around here, save for plantation radiata pine. I find that my 288xp is plenty of saw for the wood around here. The 288xp became the 385xp, one size down from the 395xp.

When you say firewood saw, I'm thinking something like a 361/440/460 depending on how much, how large and how often you're cutting. The 660 would work, but in firewood, the 440 or 460 would do just as well, and not weigh as much. For firewood, skip the 880 or 3120. Way overkill, and will wreak havoc on your back at the end of the day.

I just spent the last two days bucking a log truck's worth of firewood. I used the 440 the whole time, and it was just right in power and weight, and I wasn't sore at the end of it all.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Agree

044 Sthil or 372 Husky. Big enough to cut fast but not a back killer. Save your back for loading firewood..

Though I am not familiar with the wood in your area, I am hard pressed to imagine a need for a 17lb+ saw for firewood unless you are going to be cutting up 30"+ hardwood all day long and want to run a bar that allows you to always be able to cut it with one pass.

You can do a lot of cutting in big stuff with a Stihl 440 or 460, Dolmar 7900, or Husqvarna 372 or 385. I've been running a 7900 for a while now and have no problem running a 28" bar in freshly cut hardwood, even with full-comp chain. The only time it struggles and requires patience is when I'm cutting really large, super rock-hard dry old stuff.

My vote would be for the lightest saw that will meet your needs 95% of the time and is capable, with patience, to handle the other 5%, too.

fishhuntcutwood said:
When you say firewood saw, I'm thinking something like a 361/440/460 depending on how much, how large and how often you're cutting. The 660 would work, but in firewood, the 440 or 460 would do just as well, and not weigh as much. For firewood, skip the 880 or 3120. Way overkill, and will wreak havoc on your back at the end of the day.

I just spent the last two days bucking a log truck's worth of firewood. I used the 440 the whole time, and it was just right in power and weight, and I wasn't sore at the end of it all.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

i will have to go with Jeff on this.....but if you have to have the 660 or the 395,either way you would be happy.

Maybe he just wants to "GIT ER DONE!!!". Is Aussie. wood that much bigger than here? I would have no desire to cut all day with a saw that big.
Aussie: you are a better man than I if you can swing that 051 all day long!!!! I wouldn't even want to try to!
Andy

Back