chainsaw value? Advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmermike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last Dec. I bought a 5100 dolmar. I've run about 10 tanks of gas through it and just haven't fallen in love with it. What price should I ask for it? Is 300 to much? Nothing wrong with it just don't like it. I keep comparing it to my 346 and other than power it keeps coming up short. The husky just feels better to me. Selling a chainsaw is new to me. I usually run them till there shot. Thanks for the help.

That's not unreasonable, what your local market will bear will depend on who's in the market/if they know/trust dolmar. That' assuming its in real clean shape.

It's tough to sell a dolmar in a market where hardly anyone knows what they are. A lot of the time those that are looking think they should be paying less.

My guess is that

$200 it would fly
$250 still move pretty fast.
$300 relatively good spot to be.

Depends how you're selling it.

The reality is that, true or not, the 5100 has a "reputation" amongst saw owners as a saw that can "blow up" easily. I still contend this is because of its price point (too many novices buying it instead of the comparable stihl or husky & frying it because they didnt realize it was running lean).

As long as you document it well (ie pull the muffler & post pics of the piston, post pics with a compression gauge, put a video of it running etc) you should be able to get decent money anywhere. You may even be able to top the $300 on ebay, although it will depend who is watching & bidding at that time (ModifiedMark got a 5100 off of ebay for $250 I think, but ive seen others go for over $325-350).

Local sales are all relative to the market in that area. I wouldnt sell anything in my neck of the woods because there seems to be no market here. I can get better money by using a saw for trade at the local pawn shop.

Good luck.

Yea, depends on you local market. Anything Dolmar is a tough sell around here with no dealers within a 100 miles. On other hand, I just sold a nice 2 yr old MS260 for $350 on Clist, and had folks lined up to buy. Posted good pics with 175 psi compression reading.

Ebay might be your best bet, but lots of fees to sell there. Give Clist a try. It's free.

Thoughts on selling a used saw

Clean it up really well, especially if it has low hours, and I mean as close to new as you can get it.

Put a decent used chain on it and include a new chain. The used chain is for trying the saw out, you don't want a newbie rocking a brand new chain. If the bar looks like crap and you have another bar that fits put it on. Most people don't understand that even though the bar is fine, Oregon's paint job wears off after 2 tanks.

Whether it needs it or not throw a new plug in. Remember you're probably dealing with someone not really knowledgeable on saws and it shows you attempted to put everything right.

Make sure they know you have the manuals, scrench, and original Bill of Sale. This shows you do own the saw and it's not hot.

As for price on the 5100, I would ask $325 if it's cherry and negotiate down if needed.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back