Chainsaws that don't get a ton of use, what to do with them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon S

Reaction score
Posted over in the homeowner forum, but no responses, figured some here might have some great ideas.

I have a Stihl ms260 Pro with 16" bar.
Please tell me how long it can sit before I do whatever you recommend do?

I have run saws dry, then left fuel tank open to let any residual fuel evaporate when I was done with it for a month or more.
If going to be used again in less than a month, I didn't do anything special, just clean and put away.

What are good guidelines to follow for :
1. Do you put a stabilizer in your fuel? If so, which one?
2. Do you run it dry?
3. What time period of inactivity is recommended before you do whatever is best.

Thanks,
Jon

Run them dry, start them until they won't start anymore, and store them out of the elements. You'll be fine, as long as "out of the elements" doesn't mean "on top of the woodstove".

Props for caring, it's amazing how many saws show up at shops because of improper seasonal storage.

I your case just dump the fuel and buy a can of Trufuel/SEF/MotoMix and pour some in the tank and start it then shut it off and it will be good for months. Or just use the canned fuel all the time and just put it away until you need it again it has a shelf life of 2 years in a sealed can.

I'm a real pro at letting chain saws sit for long periods of time.

After use, I dump the fuel, start it back up, and let it idle til it dies.

I also dump any bar oil from the tank.

Never had any issues what-so-ever.

Bar oil won't go bad, and I find that keeping whatever's in there prevents the diaphragm oilers from dry rotting.

Drain and idle dry if it's going to sit for more than a month or so. Or if it's nearly empty I'll dump in some moto mix or SEF, idle it for a couple minutes and put it away.

I have a few that hardly ever get run because they are shelf queens and I have plenty to run. When I do put up one of the "shelf queens" I will drain the gas, run until almost dry, and right before it does run dry (10-15 seconds) I will spray this stuff in the carb until it dies. It coats everything inside with a good oil layer guarding against internal rust, at least that is how I feel about it.

Evinrude Storage Fogging Oil - Engine Care

If you don't have wood to cut, just start it in your garage....uh oh,:msp_ohmy: I'm gonna have to delete this post.....never happened.:laugh:

I your case just dump the fuel and buy a can of Trufuel/SEF/MotoMix and pour some in the tank and start it then shut it off and it will be good for months. Or just use the canned fuel all the time and just put it away until you need it again it has a shelf life of 2 years in a sealed can.

In a sealed can is the key. Probalbly not good for more than 6-9 months in the saw, depending on the storage enviorment

In a sealed can is the key. Probalbly not good for more than 6-9 months in the saw, depending on the storage enviorment
Some of the cans ive bought were 7 months old already assuming i was reading the date correctly, which i believe i was. Gift card at a local farm store probably doesnt sell a lot of it.

Last edited:
If your going to drain then chase it with Seafoam or something similar. I have read that a carb that had Ethanol fuel in it & is just drained can also cause problems. Air reacts with the Ethanol and causes corrosion on steel & aluminium surfaces which is different from the phase separation when water/ethanol/gas separate and cause their own kinds of corrosion.

I have a few that hardly ever get run because they are shelf queens and I have plenty to run. When I do put up one of the "shelf queens" I will drain the gas, run until almost dry, and right before it does run dry (10-15 seconds) I will spray this stuff in the carb until it dies. It coats everything inside with a good oil layer guarding against internal rust, at least that is how I feel about it.

Evinrude Storage Fogging Oil - Engine Care

same procedure I've used for boats for years. Never a problem. BTW, for the V8's you need two cans spraying at the same time.

E10 with Stihl Ultra (yes, OP, it has a stabilizer). Many of my saws sit for months with the mix in them, and crank and run without a problem. This past weekend I cranked my FS85 trimmer that hasn't been run since late August. I primed it with the bulb and it popped on the second and fired off on the third. My Echo edger took 5-6 pulls to get going and it hasn't been run since the trimmer was last run. I also started a Dolmar 123 that hasn't been run since last summer sometime. It fired and ran after the normal 6-8 pulls. I think way too much is made of ethanol and stale gas, but I am a believer in using some type of stabilizer.

modern saws have a better fuel tank vent than some older ones. I have an older 028 with the grub screw vent and the gas fumes will choke you if you put it in the cab with you in warm weather. Saws with the membrane type vents that only allow air in as fuel is used can go a lot longer without stale fuel issues. Of course fuel now days has less shelf life than when that 028 was built.

Latest posts

Back