Chainsaws you had to use and didn't like.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Homelite C5. Saw is huge and sounds like a Harley but for it's size and weight it just putters through the wood, God forbid you put a bar over 20 inches on it. The Homelite 150 may run and cut but it is awkward to use and just plain ugly, it is so big for what it is that I don't know why people use it over a Super EZ. The Stihl 042 was a vibrating beast, so much so I actually would rather use a 041.

The Homelite C5. Saw is huge and sounds like a Harley but for it's size and weight it just putters through the wood, God forbid you put a bar over 20 inches on it. The Homelite 150 may run and cut but it is awkward to use and just plain ugly, it is so big for what it is that I don't know why people use it over a Super EZ. The Stihl 042 was a vibrating beast, so much so I actually would rather use a 041.

I was wondering if my C5 was the only one like that...

I don't think anyone can hate a saw worse than me. The first chainsaw I ever ran was a new Mac, number?, 18" bar 1960 ish. Manual bar lube squirter, solid bar tip. I will NEVER even put my hands on a saw like that again! It's bloody IMPOSSIBLE to lube that bar and cut at the same time!

I was wondering if my C5 was the only one like that...

Mine's not. I've ran a few that were however. They'll still start and run LONG after the rings get tired (I bet they'd still run at 80-90 PSI). Also, they like to run RICH (heavy 4-stroking at WOT unloaded), even compared to other 'old' saws. If you tune them lean on the H side they will absolutely fall on their face in anything over 12" of wood. My current runner C-5 runs a 21" hardnose with Oregon 27 .404 chain. I has ran a 25" hardnose with a loop of Oregon 27 (and a 7 pin rim) just fine in a 28" or so oak without bogging down. I couldn't "reef" on it like I could with my 1050 (a 100cc 'evolution' of the C-series for those that aren't into old Homelites), but it handled it just fine...

Mine's not. I've ran a few that were however. They'll still start and run LONG after the rings get tired (I bet they'd still run at 80-90 PSI). Also, they like to run RICH (heavy 4-stroking at WOT unloaded), even compared to other 'old' saws. If you tune them lean on the H side they will absolutely fall on their face in anything over 12" of wood. My current runner C-5 runs a 21" hardnose with Oregon 27 .404 chain. I has ran a 25" hardnose with a loop of Oregon 27 (and a 7 pin rim) just fine in a 28" or so oak without bogging down. I couldn't "reef" on it like I could with my 1050 (a 100cc 'evolution' of the C-series for those that aren't into old Homelites), but it handled it just fine...

Don't get me wrong, they will run, just not as impressively as their larger counterparts, I guess running them side by side with C7's and C9's they just seem to be lacking and at the same weight of its larger brothers it is very noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, they will run, just not as impressively as their larger counterparts, I guess running them side by side with C7's and C9's they just seem to be lacking and at the same weight of its larger brothers it is very noticeable.

Well yeah................a 10-10 will look weak next to an SP-81 as well.:D

Poulan Pro 221, bought for light clean up. Never would restart hot. Started like a champ cold, ran hot, but you could not refuel it without an 45 minute beer break. Swapped the coil, rebuilt carb, still no start hot. Threw it in a ravine and my brother went and got it:msp_blushing:. Says it runs fine on lawn boy 32:1........I don't believe him.....

The good news it resulted in CAD and me finding this site.:cheers:

LOL!!
Rarely had a break down with a McCulloch or a Homelite. stihls on the otherhand were in the shop a fair amount waiting for expensive parts and also had a dismal power to weight ratio.

Heck, even a lowly ms 290 farm boss can cut circles around a xl-12 or sxlao, and be flogged by idiots and keep running and running. Not very many yellows or reds with great power to weight ratios either.

Heck, even a lowly ms 290 farm boss can cut circles around a xl-12 or sxlao, and be flogged by idiots and keep running and running. Not very many yellows or reds with great power to weight ratios either.

I think I'll just keep my XL-12's.

My dad's McCulloch Mini Mac 6, mostly I hated that I was running that while he ran the Stihl 041 AV Super Electronic, it always seemed like I would have been better off with a steak knife. The 041 was replaced w/ a MS441 and the Mini Mac w/ a MS170.

There is really no saw that I have ever used that I did not enjoy cutting wood with. But I can give you a list a mile long of saws that I didn't like working on but had to.

Have not yet had the pleasure of working with a crappy saw, but I'm finally doing a Small Engine Repair course where I hope to rehabilitate a Mac 2116AV with a bum oiler. Maybe then?

post scriptum
anyone else using Chrome browser on a Mac (the computer not the saw)? and getting a mixture of Swedish and English? Doesn't happen with other browsers.

Have not yet had the pleasure of working with a crappy saw, but I'm finally doing a Small Engine Repair course where I hope to rehabilitate a Mac 2116AV with a bum oiler. Maybe then?

post scriptum
anyone else using Chrome browser on a Mac (the computer not the saw)? and getting a mixture of Swedish and English? Doesn't happen with other browsers.

Yep. Then sounds about right. You will experience everything from throttle linkages that will not hook up right even though you remembered how to hook them up to bolts and screws that snap and have to be drilled and tapped. You will sure have a blast, but you know what? Its always worth it in the end when you finally get it done and it works.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Do I not recall a 10-10/PM 700/SXL to weigh considerably less than a 290?

Then again that orange color on the 290 has to count for about 2lbs of "bragging rights" and "brand loyalty" which you have to purchase and use when you obtain it, am I correct?

D00k

Do I not recall a 10-10/PM 700/SXL to weigh considerably less than a 290?

Then again that orange color on the 290 has to count for about 2lbs of "bragging rights" and "brand loyalty" which you have to purchase and use when you obtain it, am I correct?

D00k

Chris you know there's just no arguing with a Stihl Man...:D

I'd put my 10-10A and my SXL-AO (both are bone stock) against any stock 029/MS290 (with 20" B/C's in bar length or bigger wood). I'd also put my PM700 or 7-10A against any stock MS390/039 (with 24" B/C's in bar length or bigger wood). Also.......the yeller saw in my avatar pic (SP-81 for those that don't know) has a power to weight ratio that's comparable to just about any Stihl....

Last edited:

I'd put my 10-10A and my SXL-AO (both are bone stock) against any stock 029/MS290 (with 20" B/C's in bar length or bigger wood). I'd also put my PM700 or 7-10A against any stock MS390/039 (with 24" B/C's in bar length or bigger wood). Also.......the yeller saw in my avatar pic (SP-81 for those that don't know) has a power to weight ratio that's comparable to just about any Stihl....

Yeah but you're a circus bear. Nobody ####s with a circus bear.

No Stihl man here. I just used the 290, which isn't highly regarded here, as an example. I spent many days running them homelites and macs. Much rather use some old partners, huskys, jonsered, or stihl.
My buddy has xl12's and a sxlao that are in good shape and tune. It's almost painfull to watch him cut. Tank for tank they put considerly less wood on the ground. The only homey i don't mind using is a super ez auto.

No Stihl man here. I just used the 290, which isn't highly regarded here, as an example. I spent many days running them homelites and macs. Much rather use some old partners, huskys, jonsered, or stihl.
My buddy has xl12's and a sxlao that are in good shape and tune. It's almost painfull to watch him cut. Tank for tank they put considerly less wood on the ground. The only homey i don't mind using is a super ez auto.

Pick up that Stihl 35 years from now and see if you still like it. Those saws you're comparing the Stihl 290 to are that old.

Back