Change bearing on Husky 36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllinoisJim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question - I only looked briefly at the crank... The drive for the oil pump is bigger than the shaft where the bearing sits. How do you change the bearing on that end? The other end bearing slips off with no issue as everything outboard of the bearing is smaller.

Here is the worm gear puller. It not very inexpensive. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOOL-OIL-PU...NA-CHAINSAW-530031136-US-Seller-/380069692471

If you have a bearing separator you can just press the bearing off and it will drive the worm gear off at the same time. Really though, the worm gear is not really pressed on that tight, since your changing the bearing anyway, just put a little heat on the worm and pry it off carefully with a couple of screwdrivers or pry bars.

If you end up damaging the worm gear its cheap to replace,. https://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna/parts/530029833/

At $66 its the most expensive puller I found. Some are $10. I just did a very quick look though... I probably will only use this once. Will try other ways.

I agree, that it's not cheap, but I showed you what you asked for. I have that puller, but I didn't give that for it. The $10 one is the plastic one for the other small Poulans like the Wildthing and such.

Modified Mark,

My mistake - when I first read your remarks I thought you put "not very expensive" when you said "not very INexpensive". Yes, you answered what I asked. Thanks!

HarleyT,
Good point. I checked the bearing and it seems to be fine so it looks like I won't have to worry about this. I was just trying to get an idea what I was up against if I needed to change it.

Should I try to flush this bearing out with something, put a little oil in it for initial lube, or just put it back together? I got a used, replacement crank that has the bearing on it that looks clean but who knows what might have gotten in there during handling.

Back