Change in Carlton Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pays to shop around for a good dealer.

Philbert

I've tried around here, but only found jerks, posers and ripoffs. Good ones are out there, but are an extreme minority. The real standouts to me are Spike60 in Shokan NY and 166 in Greenwich NY. Reminds me of Diogenes searching for an honest man. When you find one, keep him on speed-dial, so to speak. Would you guess that I met both at GTGs?

A bad-dealer example:
A friend bought a 441C Stihl for intermittent milling. Early-on, a spherical chunk of debris got caught between piston crown and edge of exhaust port, rendering it useless. Dealer said "You're out of luck, the 3-mo warranty has expired. Sorry I can't present your case to Stihl. It'll cost more to fix than replace. " Not too shabby for an almost-$1K saw, eh? I keep trying to tell him you can do lots better.

The BS is all Yours - posters not accepting the facts doesn't help anyone. :givebeer:
They have all taken ideas from their competitors, as well as their partners, at some point in time to benefit themselves.

Not one manufacturer is spotless in that regard, in any field.

I don't normally paint with such a broad brush, but you make it a habit to bash Stihl whenever possible.

You are obviously a very intelligent person, but with your blatant dislike of all things Stihl, it's hard to take the factual post you make as serious one should; somewhat difficult to cipher between the distaste, and factual information.

I really wish you would comprehend not everyone cares how much you so highly hold all things Husqvarna: the reason I don't own Hooskee is because I refuse to buy any new product from a dealer that will not stand behind their saw: and that is the choice in the town where I live.
A dealer with a Pompous attitude puts a bad taste in one's mouth when a saw was purchased new, had issues from the beginning, and the dealer finally gave up on trying to make the issue right.

And for the record, that saw was a clamshell Stihl: all manufacturers have specific saws that passes Q.C., but something was missed.

The way a Dealer handles such situations leaves a lasting impression on customers; even if they were only 18 yr old kid at the time.

If 325 is for homeowners then is 3/8 for the homeless? What should apartment dwellers use? This is so confusing.

What about all the arborists and prosumers who run 3/8" LP? (This Homey don't play that "picco" spit.) I liked some loops of Oregon 91 VXL so much I don't buy loops of it any more. I spin them from a reel. Just can't figure why a reel of 3/8" LP costs same as 3/8". o_O

What about all the arborists and prosumers who run 3/8" LP? (This Homey don't play that "picco" spit.) I liked some loops of Oregon 91 VXL so much I don't buy loops of it any more. I spin them from a reel. Just can't figure why a reel of 3/8" LP costs same as 3/8". o_O
Obviously Lo Pro was made for short professionals. Even I know that.

A tiny bit off topic sort of; there are some 4 or so dealers in our area ( not the ones we usually use) but I like to have a nose around if I'm in the area, 3 were stockists of Carlton bars & chains & the other 1 carried Windsor, couple or so years back the Windsor kit disappeared replaced by Oregon now the 3 that stocked Carlton are all set up with Windsor & the other is still Oregon. No Carlton to be seen when I asked the guy ( who's a bit of a wit ) he replied " well the same guy makes it all, it depends on what he feels like stamping on the drive links & tie straps" there seems at the moment here at least to push the Windsor brand. I wonder for how long ?

From what I understand, Ray Carlton has worked for Stihl, Carlton(his company), and Oregon as well, and many of the features on all the variety of chains were his ideas.

Someone else may chime and clarify this, but I remember a very knowledgeable dealer telling me all about Ray Carlton and that he has had major influence on Modern chainsaw chain. Just my 2 cents
:clap::clap:

Dont be ignorant, you think $33.30 is a good deal for a 18" semi chisel RMC3 safety chain and that chain is worth it?

Only Stihl would think to put a .063 gauge 74 dl chain on a 50cc MS260 just so the owner cant go just anywhere to get a chain for there saw. Thats right, go to the Stihl dealer and bend over.
for ANYTHING from stihl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap:

I've tried around here, but only found jerks, posers and ripoffs. Good ones are out there, but are an extreme minority. The real standouts to me are Spike60 in Shokan NY and 166 in Greenwich NY. Reminds me of Diogenes searching for an honest man. When you find one, keep him on speed-dial, so to speak. Would you guess that I met both at GTGs?

A bad-dealer example:
A friend bought a 441C Stihl for intermittent milling. Early-on, a spherical chunk of debris got caught between piston crown and edge of exhaust port, rendering it useless. Dealer said "You're out of luck, the 3-mo warranty has expired. Sorry I can't present your case to Stihl. It'll cost more to fix than replace. " Not too shabby for an almost-$1K saw, eh? I keep trying to tell him you can do lots better.
cripes a friggin mighty!!!!! you rebuild it for him??

A tiny bit off topic sort of; there are some 4 or so dealers in our area ( not the ones we usually use) but I like to have a nose around if I'm in the area, 3 were stockists of Carlton bars & chains & the other 1 carried Windsor, couple or so years back the Windsor kit disappeared replaced by Oregon now the 3 that stocked Carlton are all set up with Windsor & the other is still Oregon. No Carlton to be seen when I asked the guy ( who's a bit of a wit ) he replied " well the same guy makes it all, it depends on what he feels like stamping on the drive links & tie straps" there seems at the moment here at least to push the Windsor brand. I wonder for how long ?
It is not a secret that the 3 brands now has the same owner (Blount), and that has been the situation for a few years.

The Windsor stuff currently sold in France is rebranded Oregon, isn't it?

Made an offer on a loop of LPX on ebay.. We'll see what happens, even at regular price it was a pretty good deal.

Seems like Ebay is my best bet for Oregon.. Nobody around here carries it without a huge markup.

I've heard Husky chain is rebranded Oregon.. True?

Latest posts

Back