Change in Carlton Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your so right and Stihl so sucks. My friend went to a dealer to get an oil cap for his 038m, they told him nla and that he had to buy a new saw. Husky pulls this kinda **** too. They seem to love the guy that just fell off the turnip cart. Its all known as free enterprise.

Yep and there freaking chain aint no better then anyone else's either.

My brother just a short time ago took his BR550 blower into the Stihl dealer to get it fixed. They said it needed a crank seal and it would be $450 to fix it. He then called me. I fixed it by putting a $9 seal in it that took 15 minutes to do. Then I made it right by putting the carb on it that it needed. So for $55 in parts and 1/2 hour it was fixed for way less then $450.

They did offer to put the $45 inspection fee towards the price of a new blower...

Yep, thats the stuff I have to deal with around here.
In defence of all dealers they make most of their money from the guy/gal who just walked in off the street. However once your on the inside looking out they will do most anything for you. Been there done that, bought the 090

Whichever brand is your favorite they invented the chainsaw. Some claim to have invented the "modern" chainsaw. It's the same with chain. Your favorite brand invented your favorite feature. People that don't have a favorite brand know that the chainsaw was invented in Oregon, the chisel chain was invented in Oregon, the replaceable sprocket tip was invented in Oregon, the Silvey chain grinder was invented in Oregon, and shortly before all of that the only drinkable beer was invented in Oregon. While all that is true for those who want to believe, how many of those products can you buy now? Only one. Oregon 70 series chain is still made here. The Oregon bars are from Canada, Windsor is no more and the famous tips are made in China and slapped on a bar with Carlton painted on it. It really doesn't matter who was first, it's who remains in the game. I am looking forward to Husqvarna getting into the chain business, it might make Stihl and Blount step it up and get back into making products not trademarks.

Sober as a judge. I never make deals when goofed. I bought about 30 090s and 20 088's. Don't tell the troll though, he might disown me! Lol

Thats good, but I have a feeling you couldn't have afforded to buy them around here. :rolleyes:

Even if you could have, you never could afford to buy the chains for them.

Back to that Carlton chain.

Few years ago I was going to go to my first GTG. Was going to take my PP325 saw which is a little hot rod so I thought I would put a new chain on it to show it off. Well Baileys had a sale on some of there Woodland pro (Carlton) chain so I bought a few of them. Put some on the 325 and the Jonsered 490.

How embarrassing, both cut like a couple slugs. I literally looked to see if I put one on backwards. Tried to file them, but not too much improvement.

Ok so there not very fast cutters, tried to use them for firewood, well they still cut slow and didn't last very long either so no more for me. End of story.

Back