Change in Carlton Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although stihl chisel cuts well it's interesting to note that few if any Timbersports contestants or otherwise use stihl chain. Btw Stihl still makes 1/2" pitch chipper! possibly available in third world countries only.

This thread started out about chain innovations as I recall. Yes? Then again maybe not. Well, it seemed as though all chain from all manufacturers were pretty much about the same in the 1970's. Oregon was the best, Sabre was the worst. Stihl did not make a chain. Our Stihl saws came from the distributor with Oregon chain. Then Stihl came out with their "oilomatic" chain with the oil groove in the drive link and all the saws came with It from then on. It was the first time any chain had that feature. The piece cutters didn't like it because it dulled quicker than Oregon. Now it seems quite the opposite. Oregon was the best back then, but not so much anymore. My pennies worth!

Although stihl chisel cuts well it's interesting to note that few if any Timbersports contestants or otherwise use stihl chain. Btw Stihl still makes 1/2" pitch chipper! possibly available in third world countries only.

The thick chrome does of course make Stihl chain impossible to get as sharp as they want, and the fact that that all gauges cut the same kerf as a .063 chain doesn't help either....

The thick chrome does of course make Stihl chain impossible to get as sharp as they want + the fact that that all gauges cut the same kerf as a .063 chain doesn't help either....
What I've noticed about stihl chisel is that although it cuts good off the roll after an initial filing it gets noticeably slower as the cutters are correctly filed back with rakers taken down accordingly and gullets cleaned out, however I think it was a dealer that told me to use a 13/64 file as opposed to a 7/32 which seemed to help.
But your right, the Crome is pretty thick.

13/64 i will try that with my chain it usually take a good 5-10 swipes with a file to get it even remotely sharp when using a 7/32 file.

Regarding chain features, Stihl have often copied Oregon features . . .

Oregon patented modern saw chain in 1946, so, in a sense, everyone has copied at least some of their stuff.

Stihl is the only one with the oil pickup slot on the chain . . .

Newer STIHL chain does not have this, but newer TriLink ('000') chain does! Patent must have expired. TriLink also copied Carlton's high 'whale tail' low kickback link on Se of their chains.

LubriLink™ tie straps help keep oil where it's needed - on the chain and LubriWell™ oil holes help carry oil around the full length of the guide bar's groove

I think the depression in the bar where the oil is added is lubridam . . .
That is how I understand the 3 terms. The dimples in the LubriLinks also make a stiffer tie strap.

Hey, not like everyone did not copycat the CHAINSAW from Stihl in the first place!

Like SawTroll said. Lots of folks claim to have 'invented' the chainsaw. Dig a little deeper, and they really claim to have invented 'the first practical chainsaw'; 'the first one-man chainsaw'; 'the first lightweight chainsaw'; etc., etc., etc. STIHL's first saw was electric.

Philbert

What I've noticed about stihl chisel is that although it cuts good off the roll after an initial filing it gets noticeably slower as the cutters are correctly filed back with rakers taken down accordingly and gullets cleaned out, however I think it was a dealer that told me to use a 13/64 file as opposed to a 7/32 which seemed to help.
3/8" Stihl chain really needs the 13/64" files imo - but that hardly is the reason they are not popular as racing chain. ;)

Snapped a couple of photos..

It seems like they hardened their tooth material and added the reference mark..

It's been a little while since I bought a new Carlton chain.. 6 months at least and it was a 3/8 chisel.. No reference marks on that one, and it files easily.

There was a new Carlton chain on my 545 when I bought it in October, but I have no clue how long it was on the shelf. It was a semi-chisel, again with no marks and easy filing.

From what I understand, Ray Carlton has worked for Stihl, Carlton(his company), and Oregon as well, and many of the features on all the variety of chains were his ideas.

Someone else may chime and clarify this, but I remember a very knowledgeable dealer telling me all about Ray Carlton and that he has had major influence on Modern chainsaw chain. Just my 2 cents

Stihl chain cuts fine when sharpened with a 7/32" file. I think the issue is possibly people using the wrong guide. If I use a Stihl branded 7/32" holder (actually meant for .404") it holds the file far too shallow. The Vallorbe branded guides seem to be spot on in my opinion. I know many pro cutters that have used 7/32" files on Stihl chain.

It's been a little while since I bought a new Carlton chain.. 6 months at least and it was a 3/8 chisel.. No reference marks on that one, and it files easily.

There was a new Carlton chain on my 545 when I bought it in October, but I have no clue how long it was on the shelf. It was a semi-chisel, again with no marks and easy filing.

Those huge ramped rakers surely isn't what I want - which is the reason I prefere Oregon LP/LPX Chain (+ they get really sharp)! :D

Those rakers looks worse than than on the Oregon LGX chain though, but maybe it is the angle of the photo that fools me?

Is that 325 pitch? Look at the robust raker. Grind off about 75% of raker and it cut faster. Not the depth of raker, but size of raker. Way more chip channel. Chain mods whoohoo!

I agree.
A co worker first told me to use a 13/64, it definitely helped.

Stihl chain cuts fine when sharpened with a 7/32" file. I think the issue is possibly people using the wrong guide. If I use a Stihl branded 7/32" holder (actually meant for .404") it holds the file far too shallow. The Vallorbe branded guides seem to be spot on in my opinion. I know many pro cutters that have used 7/32" files on Stihl chain.

Imho, the Stihl 3/8" chain is getting too little hook with a 7/32" file, even though it isn't a big deal.

Flat file 8-10 strokes on those rakers should get them right.

I don't quite understand what you mean by that;

Those rakers needs to be reduced from the front and back, and I'm sure it will take a lot more than 8-10 strokes with a file on each.

If they need to be taken down, that hardly takes 8-10 strokes.

Latest posts

Back