changed my splitter oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't own a splitter.. but I do ride a Ducati, big air cooled v-twin, and I have found that in the cooler parts of the year, a short ride will not really warm the motor all the way, and the oil in my sight glass looks terrible. I have talked to a couple duc mechanics and they say it is a normal occurance for the oil to appear milky this time of year , because the motor can't get warm enough to evaporate any condensed moisture in the crankcase. I do know that if I take it out for a good long ride, it will clear up on it's own. My guess is it had been run for short periods as tests or demos? Since you were doing scheduled maintenence anyway, I would just keep an eye on it in the future, and see if it temperature related.

Last edited:
Which Mobil 1 do you run? I'm not an oil expert but you want to stay away from oil with the "energy conserving" stamp in the round API label. Those oils don't have strong additive packages which is fine for newer cars. But for a B&S motor you want all sorts of additives to help when there's metal to metal contact, like in the valve train. Diesel oils are a cheap way to get decent additives, 15W40 would be just fine in a small motor, also the "high mileage" car oils have more additives. Motorcycle oils also have more additives too but are more $. I guess their isn't much oil in there so 4L would last for a while.
Ian

Interesting. The owners manual for my Toro mower (B&S engine) specifies 10-30 synthetic, energy conserving. Don't recall what the Honda wants.

Maybe a jug of synthetic Rotella is in order...

It starts easier by a long shot in winter! I run mine in summer as well and it gets like water but it does the job. If I were going to do it now I would do the rotella over mobil 1 but hey, its in there now!!!:greenchainsaw:

Don't own a splitter.. but I do ride a Ducati, big air cooled v-twin,

What Duc do you have? I've got an 05 S4R.

I looked at the oil on the splitter dipstick yesterday after about 3 hours of use after the oil change. Color seems good so I'm not going to bother thinking about it anymore. I can't say that I'll run synthetic, but maybe. Motorcycle oil - no way. Not at $9/qt ;)

Love the splitter though. Some of the beech we split friday made it work, but nothing stopped it. And I've decided if another guy is along, vertical is the only way to go. One guy on the valve, one holding the wood. Better trust your valve man and pay attention tho!

'00 900 SuperSport CR.

Least we both understand excessive maintenance costs ;)
I did my 6k valve maint and needed no adjustment. My 12k comes up in 200 miles. might pay the dealer the 400.
That's like 2 B&S engines for the splitter ;)

Least we both understand excessive maintenance costs ;)

I do all my own maintenance except tires.. just did 24k service, did belts and valves, needed to shim one intake, belts looked good but it was time, I am thinking though that with the newer belts I may try to run 12k on a set, it is supposed to be doable, but, of course the "penalty for failure" is kind of high if one lets go.. and you know it's gonna do it a long way from the tool box..

Latest posts

Back