changing a MS170 to 1/4 pitch, for carving bar, in pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to show how easy it is to switch to 1/4 pitch on this saw. Here's my little ms170. I'm going to install a 1/4 pitch sprocket, and a 12" dime tip carving bar and chain.

attachment.php

the parts you need......

attachment.php

Remove the E-clip that holds the sprocket on. be careful, this thing will go flying if you let it.

attachment.php

remove the washer, and the sprocket. Now is a good time to grease the bearing.

attachment.php

Installing the new sprocket, notice the notch in the clutch drum....this drives the oil pump, be sure to line up the notch and the little wire by the clutch. you'll feel it drop in.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Install the washer and E-clip....

attachment.php

Install your bar and chain...

attachment.php

Yes, the chain looks loose. You need to run the chain loose on a carving bar to keep from burning the tip. I've never had a chain come off. You'll get used to how to tension your chain.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man, good pics. Its nice to have good guys like you take the time to post this stuff for us newb's to learn. Thanks Again. :D

2 ?'s

1. What is the difference in "dime tip" & "quarter tip"?

2. Do you know if there is a 1/4' rim setup available? I set up my saw with a rim & drum style drive.

Thanx, Shawn

2. Do you know if there is a 1/4' rim setup available? I set up my saw with a rim & drum style drive.

Thanx, Shawn

Dime tip bars- the tip is the size of a dime.

quarter tip bars- the tip is the size of a quarter.

dime tip lets you do more detail, quarter tip is tougher.

yes 1/4 pitch rim is available.

Thanx, Shawn

The dime tip is about the same size on the tip of the bar as a dime, Quarter tip is about the size of a quarter.
You can get 1/4" rim sprockets, I have one on a saw.

On my 346XP I switched over to a 3/8 8-pin from a .325 7-pin and put on a titanium carving bar and the 3/8 pitch, low-profile mini chain like on the top-handled models.

I've been 16 months with this system (also, the 346XP has a power-ported exhaust). I absolutely love it, with one exception- it doesn't do plunge cuts. However, it bucks firewood like a laser light saber, very fast and impressive.

The dime tip is about the same size on the tip of the bar as a dime, Quarter tip is about the size of a quarter.
You can get 1/4" rim sprockets, I have one on a saw.

Will the quarter tip last longer, as it is not as tight of a turn on the chain, and thereby run "cooler"?

I'm sure each must have it's advantages and disadvantages!

Still learning,

Shawn

Will the quarter tip last longer, as it is not as tight of a turn on the chain, and thereby run "cooler"?

I'm sure each must have it's advantages and disadvantages!

Still learning,

Shawn

All my carving bars are dime tip, I've never used a quarter tip but I think you've got it right.

On my 346XP I switched over to a 3/8 8-pin from a .325 7-pin and put on a titanium carving bar and the 3/8 pitch, low-profile mini chain like on the top-handled models.

I've been 16 months with this system (also, the 346XP has a power-ported exhaust). I absolutely love it, with one exception- it doesn't do plunge cuts. However, it bucks firewood like a laser light saber, very fast and impressive.

Why wouldn't a carving bar be able to do plunge cuts?

Isn't there less chance of kick back? And with it cranked up, just push it in! Right?

Or is this because of the style of chain?

Shawn

Why wouldn't a carving bar be able to do plunge cuts?

Isn't there less chance of kick back? And with it cranked up, just push it in! Right?

Or is this because of the style of chain?

Shawn

I plunge cut with a carving bar a lot.

Yes, less chance of kickback. The smaller the nose radius, the safer the bar.

When you start a plunge cut, keep the rear of the saw lower than tip, start the cut with the bottom part of the tip and roll up into the cut once the tip is safely into the wood.
Here's some info from Husky on plunge cuts. http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/files/cs/banners/chainsaw_cons.pdf

Part of the deal on plunge-cutting with carving bars is that there is no sprocket roller tip. The friction can become very intense if you force it and the wear on the bar tip (and chain) can be extreme. Troutfisher has shared the proper technique if you must plunge.

My tip has worn to the point of the chain wearing down and 'into' the tip, but it has taken a long time to get there. There will become a point where the drivers will start wearing on the inner bar as it passes over the tip. Once this starts happening I'll retire that bar, but I will definitely use the carving bar/ LP chain again. It's been an impressive combo.

Ci
Install the washer and E-clip....

attachment.php

Install your bar and chain...

attachment.php

Yes, the chain looks loose. You need to run the chain loose on a carving bar to keep from burning the tip. I've never had a chain come off. You'll get used to how to tension your chain.
attachment.php
[/QUO
I want to show how easy it is to switch to 1/4 pitch on this saw. Here's my little ms170. I'm going to install a 1/4 pitch sprocket, and a 12" dime tip carving bar and chain.

attachment.php

the parts you need......

attachment.php

Remove the E-clip that holds the sprocket on. be careful, this thing will go flying if you let it.

attachment.php

remove the washer, and the sprocket. Now is a good time to grease the bearing.

attachment.php

Installing the new sprocket, notice the notch in the clutch drum....this drives the oil pump, be sure to line up the notch and the little wire by the clutch. you'll feel it drop in.

attachment.php

Hi troutman can u send me a pic I can't see your pics on how to install 1/4 pitch sprocket I have a ms 170 and need to know how to do it thanks,earl

Back