Changing the control bolt on a 660 oiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I noticed that the control bolt for the oiler was missing on my 660. I ordered the bolt, o-rings and pin today. This will be the first time I've worked on an oiler, dealer said that I would have to pull the clutch to get at it. Sounded like fun as this is a part of saws that I haven't had apart yet. Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
pull the clutch cover, remove the drum and rim, remove the brake mechanism cover (this is where ya might want to take a picture or two)

the clutch itself is LH thread, so you'll need a piston stop or rope

there should be a nylon oiler drive behind the metal shield(?) behind the clutch, and the oiler is then exposed

Check the oiler drive thingamajig. It engages the small slot in the clutch drum. Check the drum and bearing making sure it doesn't wobble too much on the bearing. If the chain has any tendancy to move at idle, it might be a good idea to replace the clutch springs or clutch if its worn.

I like to keep a clutch drum, bearing , and rim sprocket as spares. I've already replaced a clutch that caused an erratic idle, so have another spare.(milling is hard on clutches and drums)

Be prepared for shock at all of the crud that builds up in there.:dizzy:

Thanks for the link Lake.

That's perfect. Another vote for a "repair how to" forum. My searches earlier didn't turn this up. If the mods would create this I would buy them beer.

Back