Chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

028 super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the best value in chaps? I have been wearing Foresters since last November and I am not real happy with them. The left leg started to shrink. It was finally so short it was above my knee. I was able to stretch it back ti its full length but I am not sure I should trust them. I would like to complain to forester but I can not even find contact info for them. Looking forward to your advise.

I just got a set of Labonville Competition full wraps. After research, I've found they offer the best protection. Not the cheapest option, but they'll pay for themselves if the save me a trip to the ER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a pair of pants from bailey's. Tried em out once, they'll definitely shut a saw down.
Problem is... Can't get em on with boots on. The legs are only opened up half way to the knee, and the zipper works like a coat... You gotta zip em up from the bottom.
Glad I had em on that day though!
I use Labonville full wraps now.

I bought a pair of pants from bailey's. Tried em out once, they'll definitely shut a saw down.
Problem is... Can't get em on with boots on. The legs are only opened up half way to the knee, and the zipper works like a coat... You gotta zip em up from the bottom.
Glad I had em on that day though!
I use Labonville full wraps now.

The husky pants zip down, not up, on the lower leg parts, and have a snap at the bottom once zipped. Pretty easy to get them on over the big cutting boots, let alone smaller boots. Good pockets all around too, plus one leg pocket, I keep wedges in mine.

I have chaps, but i prefer chainsaw pants. The new Jonsered pro-light pants and suspenders are super comfy, ligther than the earlier models and made of a tougher material.

I have chaps, but i prefer chainsaw pants. The new Jonsered pro-light pants and suspenders are super comfy, ligther than the earlier models and made of a tougher material.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a pair of chaps/pants. Number one on my list of PPE though along with the forestry helmet. I have the other stuff.

Do chaps/pants offer shin protection? No matter how careful I am my shins always take a beating from rounds. I was thinking about wearing soccer type shin pads under my rubber boots (I have some steel toe and shank rubber boots that can fold up into waders).

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a pair of chaps/pants. Number one on my list of PPE though along with the forestry helmet. I have the other stuff.

Do chaps/pants offer shin protection? No matter how careful I am my shins always take a beating from rounds. I was thinking about wearing soccer type shin pads under my rubber boots (I have some steel toe and shank rubber boots that can fold up into waders).
It's a little more padding, but your probably still feel them if they are big.

Yes, they do offer a bit of shin protection. Chainsaw pants/chaps usually consist of 6-12 layers of kevlar + a inner and a outer layer in a different fabrick. Regular chaps and pants have 9-12 layers, while pro pants/chaps have 6-9. It may sound like the pro stuff offer less chainsaw protection, but it's actually the opposite. They usually have the same m/s class or higher, and they are lighter and more durable. Leatherboots with chainsaw protection is also a pluss if you want shin protection. I'm using Stihl comfort boots.

Labonville is all I will use.
Tried Husqvarna-branded chaps and some early Forester ones. Never again.
What don't you like about the Husqvarna chaps? I own a pair and really like them. They are 1000 Denier Cordura and offer 6 layers of protection. Plus cover the full calf area. I bought some heavy duty suspenders to keep them up and have no problem with the falling down. 3 days a week I trust my life on them.

It's a little more padding, but your probably still feel them if they are big.

Yes, they do offer a bit of shin protection. Chainsaw pants/chaps usually consist of 6-12 layers of kevlar + a inner and a outer layer in a different fabrick. Regular chaps and pants have 9-12 layers, while pro pants/chaps have 6-9. It may sound like the pro stuff offer less chainsaw protection, but it's actually the opposite. They usually have the same m/s class or higher, and they are lighter and more durable. Leatherboots with chainsaw protection is also a pluss if you want shin protection. I'm using Stihl comfort boots.

Thanks fellas. Yeah the rounds are from older poplar logs I've been trying to buck up on my in-laws property. They have some rot along the outer edges that soak up moisture and will usually freeze making them heavy as hell. When they freeze they are extremely hard and I usually drop a couple on my toes/shins. The steel toe protects my feet but my shins are taking a beating.

An old timer told me one time..."keep your shins out of the way!" Of course I've paraphrased that.

Chaps will offer some sort of shin protection to a degree. I owned the husky forester pants years ago, they were heavy from what I remember. The waistband also quit on me. Went for a few years with nothing. Started thinking that was not a good idea so I wound up buying a pair of the blue husky chaps. I find them comfortable and after a while I don't notice I have them on. I wear them anytime I am around my chainsaw and or log splitter. When these wear out I am going to look into the Labonville chaps for sure. They have a store in North Conway N.H. Don't wait to buy them, that is my advice!!

Back