Cheap saws that became money pits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't look great but they can be a great runner, besides that the Stihl chainsaws at the flea market were too expensive, $300 for an 034 and $225 for an 026, too rich for me..
One thing about the cinderblocks, you don't have to worry about anyone stealing them..
That's about market price for an 034 and 026. (at least around here.)

Umm did someone say "poulan pile"
Uh, I meant my "fine collection" of rear handle green Poulans.
You know, 2050, 2055, 2900, etc.
I'm just not doing much with that series anymore. Trying to clean the shop out a bit so I can get everything inside that's bulging out the doors.

Straddle chain. Bar has no groove. Chain has saddle type things.
I have one, mercury disston. Complicated looking beast and the chain rides on the outside of the bar!

There is a loop on eBay right now. If I had some spare cash I might go for it for 'the collection', but . . .

Screen shot 2016-09-07 at 4.09.53 PM.png

Philbert

Hey you want another mercury disston for your collection ha ha dad wants to part with his. course it'd take a bar of gold to ship that monster

I bought a Stihl 046 off ebay. I was looking for a project and this saw looked decent. Looking back I definitely paid too much. I knew it had some cosmetic issues, but it needed a bit more than that. The clutch, clutch drum and rim sprocket were shot. The inside of the clutch cover looked like someone shot it up and it seemed very thin. Also there was no chain catcher. The gas tank handle had a chuck missing. The tank also had a crack in it so i decided to replace the handle tank assembly with a new piece. I also replaced the clutch, clutch drum, bearing, rim sprocket, fuel line, and clutch cover. I also replaced the chain brake handle since it was missing a chunk. I also added a new 25 solid bar, chain, spark plug, and HD2 filter. I could have bought a nice 460 for less. The metal case has a chunk missing, but it doesn't affect the saw. I'm guessing someone has a chain come off and destroy this saw at some point. Anyway it runs great and absolutely rips.

Attachments

• Stihl 046 5.jpg
    Stihl 046 5.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Stihl 046 6.jpg
    Stihl 046 6.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 24
My saw didn't have much of a description and had about 8-10 pics. I don't use eBay to much, but I know now that a item with very little detail usually means it's hiding something. I should not have bid, but I learned a thing or two from this experience. It's been a few years since I restored it and I love using this saw.

When I sell a saw I generally include just six pictures but I tell everything I know about the saw in the description..they know what they're getting. I usually don't max out on the price either. I try not to over-sell them either, I'd rather the buyer was pleasantly surprised than disappointed. When buying, it's a good idea to look at the seller's feedback, that tells you a lot about the seller's history on ebay..

Hey you want another mercury disston for your collection ha ha dad wants to part with his. course it'd take a bar of gold to ship that monster

If only that were a DA-211, or another model with the same twin cylinder engine..................................

There is a twin-cylinder Distton listed about about 25 miles from me......for.....$1,200.00. That way I could buy the saw and the money pit at the same time :laugh:.

When I sell a saw I generally include just six pictures but I tell everything I know about the saw in the description..they know what they're getting. I usually don't max out on the price either. I try not to over-sell them either, I'd rather the buyer was pleasantly surprised than disappointed. When buying, it's a good idea to look at the seller's feedback, that tells you a lot about the seller's history on ebay..

You get 12 pics for free...I use every one of them incl a pic of a compression guage and the bottom of the saw.

I usually take pics of the saw as soon as I know the saw doesn't have anything wrong with it, but not necessarily gonna be sold immediately. If I do something to the saw, like install a new part then I have to take a new picture. I pretty well have pics of all my saws, even the ones I'm using. Some I have pictured are not for sale. Might need them for insurance purposes or maybe other reason..

Insurance is a good question with all the saws I have mite be a good idea to itemize them for insurance coverage

I finally got my stihl 056 done. That saw ate my lunch. One of the crank bearings went south, thanks to bplust he sold me a complete crankcase with new seals got all that swapped in and running, it wasn't a hard job, but it still needs an oil pump and a couple other parts, but right now I'm in it for 400 bucks. Idk if I could even break even. O well I learned a lot can't put a price on that

Back