Cheap saws that became money pits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It kinda evens itself out with me, I get some money pits but often I get some real bargains. It's just kind of hard to tell beforehand what it is..

I'm still ahead if the game. so far I've got way more dirt cheap saws that needed almost nothing , than ones that ate my lunch. The ones that did just happen to be stihls.

You were correct in stating that Stihl thinks a lot of their parts. On their homeowners' saws Stihl isn't so lucky because the aftermarket has been selling parts for a small fraction of Stihl's price. I don't mind using aftermarket parts in them because they're not used continuously anyway. I have AM parts in my personal Stihls and can't tell them from OEM. I generally don't look for Stihls that look like they need a bunch of work except the homeowner saws then I always can use them for parts but they have to be cheap.

10 bucks is a score, but it's amazing how that 10 dollar investment turns into a monetary disaster sometimes.

Your tellin me! For a couple weeks there I was thinking about just making it run like new again, sell it, and hope to find another one. Then I bought the tank/handle-almost $100. Then I bought the second cylinder. Then I figured a used 28" bar would go nice with the 20" it came with. When the second port job came out almost as good as anything I ever did to a car..I decided to keep her and use her someday(and I'm just a homeowner in the Northeast that doesn't need even a bone stock 046 haha!). Once it was "mine forever" the spare parts started added up. And bango bongo I probably have two whole saws worth of parts and I'm probably more than a few hundred lighter in the checking. I'm scared to go back and add it up.

Nice topic here! Feels good to let it out. Can't tell the wife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the proud owner of a Homelite 410.Money Pit is a more suitable name for this fine piece of American Engineering.I split the case on it the other day,The saw has no crankcase gasket from the factory.

I am the proud owner of a Homelite 410.Money Pit is a more suitable name for this fine piece of American Engineering.I split the case on it the other day,The saw has no crankcase gasket from the factory.
Some saws don't. They use something like Motoseal, works as good as a gasket unless you pry the case open with a screwdriver..

In theory if both surfaces are absolutely perfect no gasket is needed. This rarely is the case. Diesel injectors are a example of this the machined surfaces are so perfect they seal on each other

All of my saws try to become money pits. I will only fix them twice. The third thing that breaks, they go on a shelf for good and I find another one. Half of my saws have been used exactly 3 times :(

According to Acres site the 041 is timed at 2.5mm before TDC. If you could mark that on your flywheel and case and have the points break at the 2.5 it should be in time. Of course you'd have to use a meter to see when the points open.

I have an 041 that is in good shape except for a broken engine case. Got another one that has had all the peripherals stripped off except the case, jug, crank, piston assembly...which is in pristine shape. So, if a project has the potential to NOT be a money pit...this is it. Guess we'll see when I go to work marrying them together into a good saw!!! I just have this feeling that my wallet will take a hit before this is finished.

I am about to swear off most used equipment. Around here, most stuff gets sold only if it doesn't work or is old. And it commands like new prices, anyway! I saw a 346xp but it was marked $299, super dirty and had a plastic intake clamp. I might could have gotten it cheaper but didn't feel like spending the money. Fixing stuff can be expensive, even when you do it yourself.

I have gotten some deals, like a practicaly new KM-130 with trimmer attachment for $200. But for the most part, used stuff is a money hole-in-the-ground. Let the buyer beware!

Back