Cheap Smurf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up this Smurf from a mate for $160usd/$250au.
2 tanks old. Check out the bar. Still got paint on it from new. He bought it for a clean up job that lasted for 2 tanks. Then he didn't want it! Lol
Can you get these things going?
952325d1dd4d6b66fc41dff6b487796a.jpg
fc294e9c6e1ea32f3654d97430db296d.jpg
60c07fa2fb92e74acd2f59378fe8a1ef.jpg
58aaaec9c2023858e2efb1ba2836fe93.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Initial thoughts after a tank in Ironbark hardwood.
Now 3 tanks from new.
A bit heavy for a 50cc saw. Especially compared to my 026.
Not overly powerfully (stock) compared to my ported/modded 026. But I thought it would have more power than it has, even for a stock 50cc saw
Very Quiet.
I like the 3/8 standard chain.
Amazing build quality. (German Dolmar).
Great anti vibe.
I thought the pivot teeth could be bigger as I felt that the body of the saw was rubbing up against logs too easily.
Good on fuel for the amount it holds.
Started easily hot or cold and runs flawlesly.
I think i will heavily mod this saw.

A bit heavy for a 50cc saw. Especially compared to my 026. ... I thought it would have more power than it has, even for a stock 50cc saw

Your findings correspond to the fact that this saw (=Dolmar PS500) belongs to the Farm saws category.
(Anyway for $160 great buy!)

Base gasket hanging into the transfers. Will pick up some performance there.
Stock squish 0.85mm
Stock base gasket 1.0mm
Will tighten that up to 0.5mm
Muffler mod to come.
(Have Tig, will mod)!
Does a few degrees on the flywheel key help these guys?
a53bbdd97820fb466e3d0c1f11bce6d2.jpg

The 5100s and 5105s like a little advance, I haven't messed too much with a 510(dcs500). You can always spin it back. These all suffer from a sluggish throttle response. Opening up the muffler really helps. Keep an eye out for a closed quad port cylinder to really wake it up.

The 5100s and 5105s like a little advance, I haven't messed too much with a 510(dcs500). You can always spin it back. These all suffer from a sluggish throttle response. Opening up the muffler really helps. Keep an eye out for a closed quad port cylinder to really wake it up.
What saw are those cylinders from mate?

Knife edge those transfers?
As a motorcycle mechanic/tuner, I have always preferred to round nose the leading edges. Like an aeroplane wing. But there are guys in my business that swear by knife edge as well. So I guess I would like some chainsaw orientated info on tuning/porting tips

I been knife edging two stroke transfers for decades along with lowering the intake and raising the exhaust port.

Note, I hear the porting doesn’t matter from other people, there was a guy in England racing the t500 Suzuki and not winning. He exchanged thoughts with a racer in Australia and used his porting tips. He started winning after porting. I port the older Husqvarna dirtbikes. I had one maxed out and she was unbeaten down the straights, I’d love to try one of my engines in a more modern frame/suspension? My son on this bike put away a newer kx125 and a newer kx250. The ‘81 husky cr250 had no problem. These guys are friends of ours and don’t even talk or look at the husky today. One looked at the rear fender and asked what it was. I wanted to say you seen that rear fender so many times you should know what it was, but I bit my tounge it was tough to shut up.

I been knife edging two stroke transfers for decades along with lowering the intake and raising the exhaust port.

Note, I hear the porting doesn’t matter from other people, there was a guy in England racing the t500 Suzuki and not winning. He exchanged thoughts with a racer in Australia and used his porting tips. He started winning after porting. I port the older Husqvarna dirtbikes. I had one maxed out and she was unbeaten down the straights, I’d love to try one of my engines in a more modern frame/suspension? My son on this bike put away a newer kx125 and a newer kx250. The ‘81 husky cr250 had no problem. These guys are friends of ours and don’t even talk or look at the husky today. One looked at the rear fender and asked what it was. I wanted to say you seen that rear fender so many times you should know what it was, but I bit my tounge it was tough to shut up.
Thanks for your input mate.
I port and do performance mods for a living (Motorcycles). Anyone who thinks porting doesn't matter is deluded. More gains were easily achievable back in the 80s and 90s. Now days I seem to just do "Enhancements", as stock engines are really good stock. Having said that, you can still get amazing results

I had a suzuki t500 I regret giving away. I was riding a suzuki 1200 bandit at the time. But wanted to go road racing with my son.

Thanks for your input mate.
I port and do performance mods for a living (Motorcycles). Anyone who thinks porting doesn't matter is deluded. More gains were easily achievable back in the 80s and 90s. Now days I seem to just do "Enhancements", as stock engines are really good stock. Having said that, you can still get amazing results

Since all the engines manufactured today are by Cnc machines why on the two stroke be machined from the factory with better port timing and ported better. There looking to make the lighter saws more powerful. Maybe there not interested in more r&d?

Back