Checking for spark......Tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always find it difficult to pull on the rope and observe the plug tip when checking for spark (bifocals).

It takes a little more time but I remove the starter housing and chuck up the appropiate socket in my old electric impact wrench and spin the flywheel with it. Backwards or forewards makes no difference if you're worried about inadvertantly removing the flywheel nut.

I bet a large variable speed drill motor would also work.

I've used variable speed drills on lawnmower engines.
I once had my ex-fishing buddy hold on to the wire.
An inexpensive spark tester is what I use now.
hth

Mr. Driver, it does make a difference which way you turn the flywheel. If you turn it the wrong direction most ignitions will not spark. That may lead to the wrong conclusion the the coil is bad when it may not be. Most of my saws must be spun counterclockwise at the flywheel to create a spark. Reversable drill motor works for me because with the plug out the saw spins easily.

on the backwards turn, most of the oil pump drive gears will try to back out of the housing when spun in reverse.

May not hurt anything but it might wreck the plastic gear.

Pay the $8 at the auto parts store for a plug tester and you wont even have to pull the plug and have BOTH hands free :)
and the saw will even start and run with it inline.
only problem is easier to see the spark in a dim lighted area.

I've used variable speed drills on lawnmower engines.
I once had my ex-fishing buddy hold on to the wire.
An inexpensive spark tester is what I use now.
hth

I can guess why he is an ex.... fishing buddy!

Pay the $8 at the auto parts store for a plug tester and you wont even have to pull the plug and have BOTH hands free :)
and the saw will even start and run with it inline.
only problem is easier to see the spark in a dim lighted area.

:agree2:

Back