Chipper Blade????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We own a woodchuck 12" chipper. Took the knives to be sharpened the other day and the guy told us that since one of the knives was a lot smaller than the other three, the chipper would not be balanced thus causing damage to the bearings. It looked to me like the one knife had just been sharpened down a lot further than the others, they were the same length and thickness, one was just not as wide as the others. This guy wasn't an expert on chippers, he sharpens anything with an edge on it. Just wondering if he is right or if we can get away with using the shorter one. Thanks

He is right you should have all your knives the same size.Have him grind the longer ones down to match the short one. Or buy a new knive and have it sharpened to the other 3. You may not feel a out of balance condition But it will be there.

Scott

sharpening knives

we bought 6 sets of knives with our chipper, reaason being is that you use up the six sets then have them sharpened you then only have to set the anvle once for every six sets of knives this saves a lot of time.
yes all the knives should be exactley the same.

We own a woodchuck 12" chipper. Took the knives to be sharpened the other day and the guy told us that since one of the knives was a lot smaller than the other three, the chipper would not be balanced thus causing damage to the bearings. It looked to me like the one knife had just been sharpened down a lot further than the others, they were the same length and thickness, one was just not as wide as the others. This guy wasn't an expert on chippers, he sharpens anything with an edge on it. Just wondering if he is right or if we can get away with using the shorter one. Thanks

he's right... guy probably ground a big nick out of the one,,, when he was done it was more than likely a lot narrower than the others...it's not really a balnce thing as far as the disk turning,, but three knives cutting "x" amount of material,,, and the fourth one cutting "x + some"

you have to check the specs on the chipper,,,there is a limit on how narrow you can grind the blades... might be time to by a new set...

I had a bad set like that that was in my chipper when I bought it so I just bought 2 new sets so when one set dulls the other is waiting.

Back