Christmas wishlist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhxDarius

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some advice guys,

Wife told me I could get a new saw for Christmas. I stopped by my local STIHL dealer and looked at a nice MS 461.

I am not sure what to do. Should I wait for the new MS 462 to hit the shelves in the US?
What do you guys think about the m-tronic? He didn’t carry them in stock, only the regular 461 and 461 R.

Is the MS 461 too heavy for normal use? I handled one without the chain and bar which seemed ok weight wise. Then I tried one with a 28” bar and it seemed rather heavy for extended use.

Sorry about all the questions. I am just trying to get this right so that I don’t have buyers remorse. Also I could probably be just fine with a MS 362 but I would rather get the best saw I could for the money. I still have a Husky 450 rancher for light use.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a talk today with the local Stihl dealer owner. He said he wouldn’t stock the mtronic if he had a choice but I think it all comes to personal preference. It’s not something you can just work on easy any time but it is very convenient when it does the tuning for you and optimizing as you go.

I have a two-saw plan and like it. My MS-261 C-M has the M-Tronic, and my MS-461R doesn't. But, it does have a Stihl 28" Light Bar on it. Many seem to think it makes a difference. Me? Not so much.

Anyways, the term extended use can be arbitrary. It depends upon the individual. I don't cut for a living and when I do cut, I'm in no big hurry. I don't need a muffler mod and/or a ported saw. If I get tired or a bit winded, I shut the saw off, and take a seat. I have some water and a snack, and I'm good to go again in about 15 min. or so.

When I bought my 461R (Nov. of 2015), the 462 wasn't even on the radar. There might have been a slight blip on the screen, but nothing substantial. Rumors, speculation, here-say, and some of this & that, was all.

If you aren't in a BIG hurry, the 462 might be the way to go. The 462 was supposed to have been out this Fall. Emphasis on supposed. It might arrive this Spring. Emphasis on might.

How often will you need a 461? I would looks at the 562xp or the 362. Lighter and won’t tire you out. Let a 461 be your third saw. Strike while the iron is hot. wives can change their minds!

Thanks for the info! I think you might be right about striking while the iron is hot! If i wait too long she might think it is a dumb idea to spend $1250 on a “chainsaw”.

I have a two-saw plan and like it. My MS-261 C-M has the M-Tronic, and my MS-461R doesn't. But, it does have a Stihl 28" Light Bar on it. Many seem to think it makes a difference. Me? Not so much.

Anyways, the term extended use can be arbitrary. It depends upon the individual. I don't cut for a living and when I do cut, I'm in no big hurry. I don't need a muffler mod and/or a ported saw. If I get tired or a bit winded, I shut the saw off, and take a seat. I have some water and a snack, and I'm good to go again in about 15 min. or so.

When I bought my 461R (Nov. of 2015), the 462 wasn't even on the radar. There might have been a slight blip on the screen, but nothing substantial. Rumors, speculation, here-say, and some of this & that, was all.

If you aren't in a BIG hurry, the 462 might be the way to go. The 462 was supposed to have been out this Fall. Emphasis on supposed. It might arrive this Spring. Emphasis on might.

I guess I could just take a break if the saw is wearing me out. I just don’t like stopping until the job is done. Otherwise I end up messing around and taking all day to do it. I am not sure if I have the patience to wait for the 462.

I should also consider the 562xp. I was leaning towards a STIHL because they seems to hold their value and I’m sure it will eventually be replaced by a bigger or better saw someday.

Hah I like the strike while the iron is hot advice. Probably the best so far lol. Or if you want auto tune you could also check out the 576xp. It’s super smooth! Some say the smoothest sat currently, followed by the 441cm. I have a 576xp AT and love it. I’d like to find a good ms441cm to have as well. If she is open to whatever saw then go big or go home fast! Maybe even a 661? Redbull661 has a niceee ported one listed.

I guess I could just take a break if the saw is wearing me out. I just don’t like stopping until the job is done. Otherwise I end up messing around and taking all day to do it. I am not sure if I have the patience to wait for the 462.

When I bought my 461R, I used a newly acquired credit card to buy it. I got $250.00 off the purchase price by using the card. It was an American Express and the details were you had to make a purchase of at least $1000.00 within the first three months of having the card.

I applied for the card with the express purpose of buying the saw. Between that and the dealer giving me $100.00 off the price to start with, and no sales tax (OR.), I got quite the deal on it.

There's quite a few credit card offers floating around out there right now with good deals being offered up.

When I was talking to the STIHL Dealer I asked about a 461 R. He pulled one from the back and said he would give it to me for the same price as the 461. I probably should get the 461R and later on when I have fun money, have it modded.
I do appreciate all the advise guys!

Any recommendations on what bar and chain to use? I was looking at a cannon thin kerf bar. What do you guys think of aftermarket bars, and which ones stand out?

Hah I like the strike while the iron is hot advice. Probably the best so far lol. Or if you want auto tune you could also check out the 576xp. It’s super smooth! Some say the smoothest sat currently, followed by the 441cm. I have a 576xp AT and love it. I’d like to find a good ms441cm to have as well. If she is open to whatever saw then go big or go home fast! Maybe even a 661? Redbull661 has a niceee ported one listed.

I saw that listing and it does have me tempted!!

I love my 661 but unless you have lots of big wood or plan on milling, go smaller. It's just too much to lug around. I'm not really brand-biased. I like them all. The Husky 372xp is a great choice also. My favorite mid-range saw but to be honest, I haven't run a 461.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

So I got my saw today! I ended up buying a new 461 r from Chashowlett here on this forum. I haven’t ran it yet, but I can’t wait to try it out. Thanks again for letting me pick your collective brains!

7e0f8f6846ab827d33e3c593ea6de560.jpg

76457db7efa2f0e8ac299b4c6d0f3029.jpg

578cf5dbb25926178baa83beab18f8ab.jpg

8aeda7d399741d70e23c3621b670f5b8.jpg

Back