Clapped out 066 to-do list.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Dozzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'll try and keep this short This 066 came home with me last spring. Im at least the 3rd owner and its been a CS mill saw. Which is what Ide be doing with it. Im told its had a top end replaced. I know its been abused. Sat with fuel over winter(s) and last owner didn't know how to do basic maintenance.
When I brought it home, it had lots of compression and spark, but didn't seem like it was getting fuel. Pulled jug, and its pretty bad. Bottom ring is seized. Ill do the best I can with any questions, but im looking for advice on 1- is it worth dumping $ into

2- what parts should be replaced?
So far Im thinking- top end kit, carb rebuild kit, fuel line, gas filter, vacume line, air filter, bottom seals and bearings and possibly carb boot. Gas/oil caps both leak as well.

3- best source for those parts. Complete kits instead of a ton of individual parts is a plus.
I would like to try and keep it under $200. Im decently mechanically inclined, but this would be first chainsaw rebuild. I know a good machinist if the cylinder is worth saving.
Thanks in advance. Im sure ill have questions if decide to work my way through it.

Attachments

• 20181124_130122.jpg
    20181124_130122.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20181124_130134.jpg
    20181124_130134.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 48
  • 20181124_132258.jpg
    20181124_132258.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 20181124_135154.jpg
    20181124_135154.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20181124_133250.jpg
    20181124_133250.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 20181124_133128.jpg
    20181124_133128.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 20181124_130203.jpg
    20181124_130203.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Few more cylinder pics

Attachments

• 20181124_181638.jpg
    20181124_181638.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20181124_181654.jpg
    20181124_181654.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Cylinder is definitely done as you can see the plating is gone in spots. How much play is there in the crank pin? If the crank pin is loose it may be better off a parts saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cylinder is definitely done as you can see the plating is gone in spots. How much play is there in the crank pin? If the crank pin is loose it may be better off a parts saw.

I didn't notice much play when trying to push the crank shaft side to side. I haven't pulled the fly or clutch off to look at seals & bearings yet. Is that what im looking for?

If crank is good, then you’ll need
• 6203 C3 Nachi Quest bearing
• Good used oem Cylinder
• Meteor Piston or oem piston (roughly $25- $30 price difference eBay for meteor stihl Dealer for oem)
• Set of gaskets from your local dealer
• Oem Clutch side bearing (from local stihl dealer)
•Carburetor rebuild kit
Roughly $195-$210 total cost for parts

Or you could go with a meteor cylinder and piston kit and it would add $30 or so to the parts bill but I would go with a used oem cylinder.

• Good used oem Cylinder
• Meteor Piston or oem piston (roughly $25- $30 price difference eBay for meteor stihl Dealer for oem)
•Carburetor rebuild kit

Thanks, Brandon. Does the carb kit come with a new impulse line or shouldi even worry about that? Ill be looking online for one so it won't be oem.
The saw didn't get a vac test before it was taken apart. (Long story).
Is that quest bearing for the flywheel side? I'll have to track down a 066 shop manual.

Thanks, Brandon. Does the carb kit come with a new impulse line or shouldi even worry about that? Ill be looking online for one so it won't be oem.
The saw didn't get a vac test before it was taken apart. (Long story).
Is that quest bearing for the flywheel side? I'll have to track down a 066 shop manual.

The quest bearing is for the flywheel side

I forgot to add, you will need a new fuel line and impulse line.

Most parts need to be oem, except for the nachi quest bearing, meteor piston and a few plastic covers here and there. The oem parts are best ordered from your local stihl dealer. Chinese rubber fuel lines and impulse lines just do not last. I repaired a echo trimmer for a neighbor and used Chinese rubber hose and 1 week later he brought it back and I had to replace the fuel lines.

Be sure and ask in the beg for manuals thread for a shop manual. Be sure to pay attention to the section about heating the case halves to install the bearings (remove all rubber and plastic parts from the crankcase). I use a heat gun. It makes things much easier.

Gotcha. Not looking foward to taking breaking the case apart. Ya think its nessasary if my crank doesn't seem sloppy? Or is this for a sealing precaution?
Ill get on the manual.

Gotcha. Not looking foward to taking breaking the case apart. Ya think its nessasary if my crank doesn't seem sloppy? Or is this for a sealing precaution?
Ill get on the manual.

Be sure to check the connecting rod to make sure there is no up and down play. Also I’m saying replace the bearings because you’ve already got it this far apart. You’d hate to be doing this all over again soon

Ill get on the manual.
I would consider splitting of that case a must. Where are the chunks of plating at? Do you know for fact that it's not in your bearings?

A lot of times a bad seal is accompanied by a bad bearing. Almost every scored piston saw I’ve taken apart needed bearings

• Good used oem Cylinder
•Carburetor rebuild kit

Adding impulse & fuel lines.
Also seals for both sides since im doing bearings.
For gaskets- case to cylinder.
Do I need any bottom end gaskets since case is bring split?
Any other gaskets i need (excluding exhuast)?

List is growing fast :)

Adding impulse & fuel lines.
Also seals for both sides since im doing bearings.
For gaskets- case to cylinder.
Do I need any bottom end gaskets since case is bring split?
Any other gaskets i need (excluding exhuast)?

List is growing fast :)

Ask your local Stihl if they’ve got a master gasket set which may or may not include seals

Latest posts

Back