Cleaning silicone off case halves???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron342

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of replacing the wrap around plastic case on a squashed Stihl Farm Boss and decided while at it to replace crank seals and wish I hadn't!
The damn silicone sealer (factory I'm sure) is really a pain to get off the half mating surfaces and the little groove in that surface, particularly since I'm trying not to drop any into the cylinder.
I've tried putty knives, gasket scrapers, my bare fingers etc and after an hour am about to try some silicone remover magic liquid.
This isn't a new problem I know so someone must have a better solution????
Help guys!

Ok, if you smart guys were here you could help me corner the cat and the saw too! It's a ms290 and i've never used a brass wheel since I thought the brass was harder than aluminum (or maybe magnesium) and would scratch it. Or maybe wind up with wire ends up in the cylinder.

A bench grinder with wire wheel works perfectly. A small pick or dental tool for the tight spots. 5 min cleanup, tops.

Pinstripe/decal eraser wheels work good.
a82b7aa1faf571b613f8682a91059d1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just use my thumbnail and a toothpick for the groove. If it's really stuck on a light rubbing with steel wool.
Make sure you use the gas resistant sealant on reassembly.

You should find a one gallon jug of parts washer cleaner. As in the parts washer solvent you would find in your local vehicle service garage.

I have found that solvent softens and to some extent dissolves silicone gasket maker. Makes removal much easier.

edit:
Soak the area with parts washer solvent, let sit, then scrape/wipe off

Back