HUSQVARNA 262xp oiler passages.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGSmooth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
cheers all - new to the site just now. looks awsome, and obviously LOTS of info lol.... just wondering if anybody has any experience with a 262XP oiler? i sort of inherited this old saw, also a brand new oregon bar and chain combo. issue i'm having is the chain gets hot quite quickly and stretches type thing, appears no or very little oil. tried the method of pointing saw at a piece of cardboard, no trail of oil showing up off the tip. i have the adjuster screw backed out 3 turns (owners manual says 2 turns for a 18" bar, plus 1 additional turn if not husqvarna oil), but if i back the screw out as far as it will go i still not geting oil. i think the issue is in the way the bar sits against the case or something, as i get oil running down from the clutch/oiler area, just not into the bar. if i run the saw with the bar and chain off, oil comes out pretty good from the proper oil port/groove, but when bar put on, nothing through bar. the oil hole in the bar lines up with the oil port/groove in case, and the bar is cleaed out from hole to chain groove. i made sure the bar and case mating surface nice and clean and flat etc etc..... i got looking at it and it appears the bar covers over the oil tank vent hole. the vent hole is right infront of the port/groove for oil to come out to bar, so when bar put on it covers right over the vent.... does that seem right? i don't understand how the tank is supposed to vent if the bar covers over the hole? what i have done so far:

1. ensured is the proper bar, it is
2. removed clutch and oil pump assembly. cleaned it all up, all looks good and in good shape.
3. removed tank pick-up tube, and cleaned tank out completly, and ensured pick up and vent not plugged
4. ran saw with bar off, and confirmed oil is pumping pretty well
5. ensured bar oil hole/groove is not blocked

anybody who's had a saw like this one will likely know what i mean about the vent hole under the bar, but i will try to attach a pic for any other more experienced than me folk who havent had experience with this particular saw. thanks to all for any advice or help on this

If oil come out with no bar attached, it can only be the bar-to-oil passage interface that is wrong. How are you sure that things properly line up? Some Husky (others?) bars had a problem lining up so you had to drill the hole in the bar larger to get oil to flow properly.

It should not be the vent but to eliminate that as the issue, run it with the oil cap cracked open.

yes, i had found your old thread about the same issue......i went and looked and on this one the bottom tang of the chain already does reach down maybe 1/3 the opening of the oil oil in bar. the bar was purchased only a year or so ago, so maybe that was a known problem and the newer bar already fixed that.....mmmm, i never thought of running with the cap off, i'll try that. sounded like you were thinking same logic as me with the bar covering the vent? how did the larger bar hole resolve that for you, or did it? thanks mate and cheers

sounds like you were thinking same logic as me with the bar covering the vent? how did the larger bar hole resolve that for you, or did it?
Actually my problem was that it would oil but not enough to keep the chain lubricated in a larger tree (18-24"). I know what you mean about the vent hole being covered by the bar. It works but I haven't tried to figure out how. Good luck.

Are you still having problems with the oiling system?

If so, I can offer a couple of new insights based on a 262 that I just rebuilt which had the same problem. After the rebuild, I noticed that it leaked oil when it was off so I replaced the oil pump take-up hose. That stopped the leak but I could not get any oil to the the output port by the bar. I then replaced the 1/4" pump output hose and I started getting oil at the output port but it was blowing bubbles which, to me, indicated I had a leak on the input side of the pump. I took the pump apart several more times but could not find any leaks and it continued to blow bubbles. Then the light came on. Of course it was blowing bubbles - I had just replaced the hoses and rebuilt the pump so the oil path was bone dry. So then I applied air pressure to the oil tank vent by the bar while the saw was running. At first nothing happened but then it started really pouring out and from that point on, it has pumped properly.

So my problem seems to have been that the pump was air bound. All the other saws that I have rebuilt (maybe 10) have not had problems getting oil to flow afterwards. I guess the lesson is to fill the oil hoses, pump passages, and the pump shaft with oil when I assemble them to try to prevent this from happening again.

Latest posts

Back