Clearing a lot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the same set-up I have, only I swapped out that chainsaw type blade it came with for one of those tri-cut blades. The chainsaw type blade to me seems like it would get dull quick cutting down real low down in the dirt especially if rocks are present. Those tri-cuts give the most bang for the buck to me, but won't cut a 4" tree with out abusing the machine. I'll have to try that chainsaw type balde to see if it will cut 4"in material.

Mike, to me a weedeater is something with a string on it for puttering around your yard trimming grass. What we are talking about are clearing saws for cutting rough material with heavy duty cutting blades. I know the two are built along the same design lines but to me there is a difference. I'm sure you also know how dangerous those clearing saws can be when compared to a weedeater trimmer for doing lawn work.

Larry

Last edited:
There are two types of blades I've seen, one actually has chain saw chain on the outside edge of the blade, these suck. The other type, which is the one that works, is a flat metal plate with teeth all around the outside.

trim.jpg

It is like a chainsaw chain, in that you need to keep it sharp. You also need a special tool to bend the cutters out as you sharpen them back. Like a chainsaw, if you hit the ground or a rock for just a second, it's dull.
Get your straps all adjusted so the machine fits you and when you swing there is no tendancy to hit the ground.
You can cut a little high and then go back and get the stump with more control, once the tree is moved away.
I found you can sharpen the blade with a cordless angle grinder, in just a minute or two. If you want it perfect, touch it up with a file.

clearance said:
Who cares why, listen up Baz, a 200 or slightly smaller excavator (hoe) with a hydraulic thumb, bin the crap, branches, stumps, tops, culls etc. out of there. Get the hoe to deck any decent logs. Anyway else is a freaking huge waste of time, this is 2006, not "Little House on the Prarie" old days, pulling stumps with horses time. Cleared means cleared, raw earth left, everthing gone.
Out to waste time I see, Baz, what is the problem with using a hoe to do it all, do you really need the money, do you want to do N-work for no good reason? A hoe with a thumb and a decent op. can load that crap into a triple axle bin trailer and be done in one day. The hoe can stay for the dump trucks bringing in the fill for the parking lot, it can move the topsoil and spread the fill. Mike, why are you talking about weedeaters, waste of freaking time. I give up now, send in the clowns.

The lot is only 60'x180'. You can bring in an excavator and load dump trucks all day, then what? Pay to dump it. Do you know what dump fees are in different parts of the world?
The best way to do a large lot clearing is to first go through and get what you can with a brush mower, then a shears, then the chainsaw. Chip the brush with a self propelled 20"+ chipper with grapple. Then grind out the stumps with a dedicated, track mounted, stump grinder.
A small company doesn't have equipment like this. Small lots can be very effectively cleared with a handheld clearing saw, a chainsaw, a chipper, and a small stump grinder.
You can sell or give away the chips, and sell the saw logs and firewood. I've done jobs where selling the wood made me more money than I got paid on the job.
Baz might be able to get the job done in the time it takes Clearance to call around trying to find somebody to take all that waste material from his stupid idea of using a hoe to push down the trees.

Mike, I'll forgive you because you obviuosly havn't much land clearing experience. If the stumps are grinded, thats not good enough, a hoe will rip them right out, roots and all, in minutes. When you put in a parking lot or a road, it is best to get out as much organic material as reasonably possible, and then use a packed base to start. If you pave over skank, it will crack, a gravel parking lot will soon be full of potholes. Anyways, that is how lots are cleared here, a big hoe shows up, triple axle bin, end of the day, raw earth, pile of logs on the edge of the road for the self loader. Done, I believe you are in the U.S. where hydraulic excavators were invented, why do you want to act like third world villagers? Could it be that being arborists you always think small, and perhaps are limited in knowledge?

When you grind a stump, the wood just gets mixed in with the topsoil, which you know is scraped off and hauled away. There is nothing left over to rot and cause a crack in the parking lot.
Maybe you've never seen a commercial sized stumper in action. It's ever bit as fast and economical as an excavator and dump truck, goes deeper than the stump, and there are no dump fees. All the wood is mixed in with the topsoil, enriching that.
We used to be allowed to haul stumps, wood and chips to the landfill, not any more. We need to recycle it all, and in the recycling is profit.
In the old days, everthing got pushed into a pile with a D-9, then some old tires and few gallons of diesel oil and a fire and it was gone, what a waste.

Mike Maas said:
When you grind a stump, the wood just gets mixed in with the topsoil, which you know is scraped off and hauled away. All the wood is mixed in with the topsoil, enriching that.
OK, the topsoil has to be hauled away, so bring a hoe in to load it out when the same machine could have done it all? And your suggestion Treeco, what is wrong with just saying "A hoe will do this job cheaper and faster, thank you for offering me the work" But of course not, thats why you guys work on the same p.o.s. trees over and over, billing the snot outta people instead of just cutting it down and getting paid once. Thats the mentality, as many billable hours as possible.

The loader can't do the job as cheap as a tree service, if even at all. You're suggesting dumping at over $500 per load, instead of getting paid for the wood products.
The stump grindings, for example, add to the top soil volume, which is now selling for about $18 a yard. A good stump is about 3 or 4 yards. You profit $60 instead of paying that much or more per stump to dump. Now do the math. That's about $120 per stump, times the number of stumps.
Now, why can't Baz do this job?
It sounds like a nice job for a small tree service. He can get some cutting experience, load up on some firewood to split when things get slow, get some wood chips to sell or use for construction site protection areas, maybe make some cash on a saw log or two, and even get paid at the end of the day.

The general contractor for this job has an excavator lined up to remove the stumps and topsoil, and fill in the 20' slope in the lot. I don't know why he's not having the excavator knock down the trees. I can use the chips & firewood, and my expenses are low- a rented chipper for a day, and my 2 sons' help for a few hours. Plus they get to drop a few trees without having to worry about dropping them on someone's house. A win for everybody.

We can usually clear a small lot like that in a few hours using the right tools.

If you need to underbrush, rent a bobcat and brushcat. If the terrain is too rough, use a clearing saw on small stuff around big trees. Rent a tree shear or sub a shear out if you don't have to remove stumps. If you have to remove stumps, you can still uproot with a big enough bobcat. You can set stumps aside to grind or haul off and chip the rest of the brush and logs.
If you drop the trees and chip as you go that can be equally effective if you have skidsteer to move the bigger trees as you go. You can grind stumps after the fact. It all depends on the final use of the lot and whether they want it scraped or "sculpted" for aesthetics.

Good luck!

Do not bury anything because if it doesnt haunt you it will some1. Where i live the local contractor who built most of the houses buried everything in the driveways. People are now having to rip up the pavement and dig this stuff out and haul it away. You can tell every house this man built every driveway unless repaired has a sunk in place. Says alot about his homes too.

Last edited:
Yellowdog said:
We can usually clear a small lot like that in a few hours using the right tools.

If you need to underbrush, rent a bobcat and brushcat. If the terrain is too rough, use a clearing saw on small stuff around big trees. Rent a tree shear or sub a shear out if you don't have to remove stumps. If you have to remove stumps, you can still uproot with a big enough bobcat. You can set stumps aside to grind or haul off and chip the rest of the brush and logs.
If you drop the trees and chip as you go that can be equally effective if you have skidsteer to move the bigger trees as you go. You can grind stumps after the fact. It all depends on the final use of the lot and whether they want it scraped or "sculpted" for aesthetics.

Good luck!
How much do you think he can bid a 60'x180' lot clearing for?
Who rents out tree shears and brushcats?
Dig out the stumps with a bobcat? Grind them after they're out? Haul them off to where?
Good suggestions.:laugh:

Back