Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading this book for a while now.. best of luck with things! :cheers:

My brother was a climber too. He took a bad fall, and probably would have never been able to climb again.. didn't stop him from wanting to get a bucket and keep at it though. Unfortunately a car crash took him before he got that far. That was a long time ago, but what I'm saying is I know where you're coming from. Don't know what I would do without this work myself..

Sorry about my last post. I hadn't read all the way through the thread. Very sorry about your brother.

Are you sure we're not brothers.. I had a 77 Continental and blew it up. Burnt a whole graveyard down...

That is funny. It was my brothers car, I'm Pretty sure it was a continental (or town car, the big one anyway, was a long time ago). I guess they were in my brothers apartment smoking dubes and drinking beers, and my brothers friend says "hey, your cars smoking". I guess my bro sort of ignored it or something, until the dude comes back again and say "no, your car is REALLY smoking!" Lol, I hated that thing! it burned down to nothing but seat springs and a little wire rim of a steering wheel.

But yeah, he could fit all his saws and gear in the trunk, and still fit the cooler full of beer. I have to say, it was pretty cheezy - even for the late 80's. :laugh:

I have had some really good climbers call me looking for a job in the past year. At least they sounded good on the phone. I had one that kept calling me on a monthly basis and apologizing that he was calling repetitively but he needed work. I told him that it was no problem and he was welcome to continue to call, if I had enough work to use him that I would. He had actually been one of my competitors. The last guy who called had 8 years experience and was ISA certified. I am just not doing the kind of volume right now where I could support another climber.

I don't like to hire experienced climbers per say, I like to either hire a total newb and train him myself or contract a climber with his own crew so I don't have to babysit him. It's hard to find a good climber that you don't have to babysit. Usually, the ones with 2 or 3 years of experience have developed bad habits which are hard to break. I prefer to train my own climber from scratch. Most really good climbers are doing their own thing. There are a lot of good climbers out there too that have too many personal problems to get their #### together and I have no time for that kind of drama.

Last edited:
You have to take of your body , There is no amount of money that should put you in a wheel chair , there is no glory in being old and ####ed up ...

Scott is a Disabled Vet (where I am a vet with disabilities) he took a bad hit in a combat theater. Some people are just too hard headed, it took me years to apply for my pension.

You should look into the rotator cuff surgery, I hear leaving it makes it worse.

So I have put out a couple adds out for a climber, here and locally.
Had no Idea what I was gonna get!
Here are just of few of the crazy things I heard.

1. "What kind of saddle? I don't ride horses"

2. "what kind of saddle? you mean the thing that those guys wear at Home Depot up in those lift things"

3. "I been doin da tree work for 14 years, so...........ah, whats up, when do I start, I have court on Monday so it cant be then."

4. "I climbed up in grain bins,cant be much different"

5." I don't use rope or a saddle, I free climb, all that stuff just gets in the way"

I didn't know what to expect when I listed those adds. But I didn't expect that. A little scary, as I know that there are other company's around that hire anyone who isn't afraid of heights! I climbed for a lot of years, still go up on small stuff, and up in the bucket, and I still am a little nervous when I'm up there. Cannot believe these guys are willing to do something so dangerous, without knowing what they are getting into. Most of them are desperate to feed the kids and will do anything to make money. I felt real bad for a couple guys, they seem genuine enough, wish I had a lot of money to hire them for whatever around the shop. Of course I had a few topper/hacks meth heads apply, but yet to find "that guy"

Number 5 priceless

Thanks JPS, I am actually like you, I didn't get hurt in the sandbox, was here in Iowa while on leave, I was sent to Quantico to become a martial arts instructor at the MACE, which is the head "dojo". I didn't agree to come back to sit around and train candidates, after a year, I used a CMC ALMAR to get orders so I could deploy, they fought it at first, I requested mass, got my orders to 2/8 at Lejuene, on leave, not having much too offer a bunch of kids who had 2-3 combat deployments under their belt, I decided to train at the gym while on leave. I am responsible for the creation of the Gi Jiu-Jitsu class at Miletich Fighting Systems and a assistant Judo coach before I was called back, I was going to all classes with the pro fighters and all the formal Martial Arts as well, figured that since I have pretty much a unregulated access to any thing at the gym, (my wife grew up with Pat) I would use this time to hone my skills, hoping to teach my young little jarheads proper butt kicking skills, MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) is a absolute joke, Army Combatives is good-t-o go bye the way! any ways! I was 100% authorized to train Marines and do any type of program I wanted, my kids actually are the only minors ever fully authorized to train with Marines on a base in a combative situation, no weapons, just MMA stuff. On Aug 28th 2008 at the formal BJJ class, A Army Officer was a new student, did not see me before and thought I was 2, Rodrigo Uzeda(yes the legendary dude from Brazil) our Sensi, wanted me to go with this guy, told me to smoke check him, I did, he is about as big as JPS, I am very small, after the clock buzzed, we switched positions and when Rod said go, dude reached down, grabbed the back of my head and pulled a can opener on me as hard as he could, literally exploding my spinal cord,disk c-6-7, I felt them rip apart, couldn't tap, he did it way to fast and hard, with the intent of hurting me, when he let go, I went limp, took me a bit to move as my whole body was on fire. That is how I got hurt, My new command was bummed, but VERY COOL, They made me get a MRI and that sealed the deal, I was done. They put my on the fast track out, retired me and here I am. I really appreciated the honor that J.P.S. bestowed upon me, but I am not deserving of it, in no way shape or form, claim to be a vet disabled in live combat, that is an honor, that I hold very dearly to my heart as many of you do as-well, but I am not one of those few. Combat Vet, unfortunately yes. Proud of what I have done for my country, for sure. So that is my story, now that I have spilled my guts on something I rarely talk to people about, and sound like a dork, that is why I am a bucket baby! and why I need a good Arborist, I could have done anything I wanted when I got out, they pay me well, took everything I had and started up again, not thinking it would be so hard to find good people. I was a decent climber, not the fastest but I always did good work.Thats over now (the climbing part!) I guess I got back in it because there is nothing I like to do better. Love smell of bar oil in the mourning! I feel like I just wrote a novel. Hope it reads well. Sorry J.P.S. for any mis-understanding, the fact that you threw that out like that, has a honor of it's own.

Last edited:
Hey, anyone who has volunteered to put themselves in harms way is tops in my book. A disabled vet is to be honored IMO no matter how he got that way.

My number 1 groundy did two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

I have had some really good climbers call me looking for a job in the past year. At least they sounded good on the phone. I had one that kept calling me on a monthly basis and apologizing that he was calling repetitively but he needed work. I told him that it was no problem and he was welcome to continue to call, if I had enough work to use him that I would. He had actually been one of my competitors. The last guy who called had 8 years experience and was ISA certified. I am just not doing the kind of volume right now where I could support another climber.

I don't like to hire experienced climbers per say, I like to either hire a total newb and train him myself or contract a climber with his own crew so I don't have to babysit him. It's hard to find a good climber that you don't have to babysit. Usually, the ones with 2 or 3 years of experience have developed bad habits which are hard to break. I prefer to train my own climber from scratch. Most really good climbers are doing their own thing. There are a lot of good climbers out there too that have too many personal problems to get their #### together and I have no time for that kind of drama.

Lol, hey I will come climb fer ya someday pard but your gonna have to babysit my ass cause I wear pampers :hmm3grin2orange:

It's actually fun to work with a good climber when you're not to busy to do so. Nice to be able too see some other techniques and maybe pick something new up. Quinn was a lot of fun to work with when he was here. The few times I wasn't too busy doing other jobs and could actually work with him was a lot of fun.

It's actually fun to work with a good climber when you're not to busy to do so. Nice to be able too see some other techniques and maybe pick something new up. Quinn was a lot of fun to work with when he was here. The few times I wasn't too busy doing other jobs and could actually work with him was a lot of fun.

What is the bot doing now? He helped me a couple days, good dude I had already done the climbing when he got there though.

I talked to him prolly 3 months ago. He was doing alright. Was staying reasonably busy in KS he said. I should prolly give him a call. Haven't talked to him in awhile.

I see the tree industry as one that is fighting to overcome a stereotype of tobacco spitting rednecks trying to make a living. I personally believe that professionalism is important in any business including arboriculture. However, it can be taken into the overkill zone. Certification is a good thing but it is not something that should be over-emphasized. I believe that professionalism is more important than certification!!

I see the tree industry as one that is fighting to overcome a stereotype of tobacco spitting rednecks trying to make a living. I personally believe that professionalism is important in any business including arboriculture. However, it can be taken into the overkill zone. Certification is a good thing but it is not something that should be over-emphasized. I believe that professionalism is more important than certification!!

Ahhhhh so Copenhagen make me an amateur

To tell the truth, I could care less what some internet wannabe thinks of me. The only opinion that matters to me is that of my clientele. I have been good enough at the trade to make it on my own for several years now without having to be taken under someone else's wing.

Back